How to replace tire off camber

GraniteCrystal

Saw this the other day. How do you change a tire when Jeep is off camber like this? Feel like it'd slip off the jack when I start hoisting and that's assuming I can find (make?) a flat spot to put the jack on.

Screenshot_20170622-005450-266x330.png

SDG

Caught the Bug
Safest way unfortunately is to get it out of off camber situation driving on the rim if needed, or possible.

If not possible and it were me I would ratchet strap the axle to the frame to prevent flex and then jack up from a safe point under the frame or bumper depending on the situation. Would also chalk the other three tires in the direction you would expect that it wants to roll.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

I would definitely move the jeep under it's own power to a safer spot. No wheel is worth getting hurt over. Worst case is you have to smooth out the rim with some sandpaper or a file to make the edge smooth. As long as your going really slow, the rim will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, your best bet is to move to a point where you can safely change your tire.

Stick

This happened to me the first time I took me Jeep off road. I was still stock coming down a ledge when my front right tire blew out and I just eased it down to a somewhat level spot.

After that it turned into a NASCAR pit crew changing the tire and I was hooked by the feeling of comradeship out on the trail.

USMC Wrangler

I'm with everyone that said move to a better spot.

My first thought, just based on what I'm seeing, is to try backing up. It looks a little better back there and I'd guess less wheel/ground contact in reverse, with this particular situation.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Journeyman

My first suggestion would be to remove the angry grill and then the jeep would probably magically fix itself. The poor jeep can't help it, it's just lashing back out.
1-angry jeep
2-jeep attempts to fix the problem by destroying itself in an attempt to destroy the grill
3-Drivers now angry [emoji35] all because of angry eyes grill that he paid for.
In all seriousness it's as simple just improving the jeeps position whether it's forward or back. If the rocks eat the wheels, so be it. That's why there's a full size spare. Off-road isn't cheap and if you want to play your gonna pay [emoji383]
How the fuck is that drivers side door staying open?

XJADDICTION

Banned
Get it on level ground, if using highlift jack use wide base for it. Make sure someone is watching you and take flat tire and wheel off putting immediately under your jeep in case jack fails. Then put spare on.

A good friend was replacing rear axle shaft on the trail with high lift. People all standing around not paying close attention. The wheel was off and under the side of jeep (this probably saved his life!)He was under under the jeep at the diff. (Looking at ring and pinion for damage). Lucky for him he put tire under the side of the jeep. Jack slipped, gas tank was just resting on his chest barely allowing him to breath but not efficiently. Couldn't yell, people took a few seconds to realize what happened and grabbed jack to lift jeep back off of him. For that minute my friend was being crushed and could have died. Use common sense and have someone else there ready to help. Have someone stand by a highlift jack as well. I've seen many of them slip off the jack point.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Get it on level ground, if using highlift jack use wide base for it. Make sure someone is watching you and take flat tire and wheel off putting immediately under your jeep in case jack fails. Then put spare on.

A good friend was replacing rear axle shaft on the trail with high lift. People all standing around not paying close attention. The wheel was off and under the side of jeep (this probably saved his life!)He was under under the jeep at the diff. (Looking at ring and pinion for damage). Lucky for him he put tire under the side of the jeep. Jack slipped, gas tank was just resting on his chest barely allowing him to breath but not efficiently. Couldn't yell, people took a few seconds to realize what happened and grabbed jack to lift jeep back off of him. For that minute my friend was being crushed and could have died. Use common sense and have someone else there ready to help. Have someone stand by a highlift jack as well. I've seen many of them slip off the jack point.

Also, never get under a vehicle when it's supported just by the jack, specially a hi lift.

Top Bottom