RPM surging while highway driving

sassmouth

I am having issues while driving on the highway and sometimes driving around town where the engine RPM surges under constant speed and sometimes when trying to accelerate. This has just started happening within the last couple of weeks and now it is happening more frequently. Its a 2011 JK with 62000 miles. I've checked under the hood for anything loose or otherwise obvious issues but have found nothing. Air filter is clean. Hoses are connected and in good shape. I changed the PCV valve just in case that was malfunctioning but the problem persists. There are no check engine lights either.

I did go to an offroad park last weekend. However the surging never happened under 4L even with the RPM getting up to 4000.

Anyone else come across this issue? I am trying not to have to go to the dealer if i can. Throttle position sensor issue, tuneup required??....any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

SDG

Caught the Bug
Different vehicle, but on my truck the rpm's used to be real slow to go back down or would slowly drift up when I put in the clutch. It ended up being the TPS for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cubewarrior

I am having issues while driving on the highway and sometimes driving around town where the engine RPM surges under constant speed and sometimes when trying to accelerate. This has just started happening within the last couple of weeks and now it is happening more frequently. Its a 2011 JK with 62000 miles. I've checked under the hood for anything loose or otherwise obvious issues but have found nothing. Air filter is clean. Hoses are connected and in good shape. I changed the PCV valve just in case that was malfunctioning but the problem persists. There are no check engine lights either.

I did go to an offroad park last weekend. However the surging never happened under 4L even with the RPM getting up to 4000.

Anyone else come across this issue? I am trying not to have to go to the dealer if i can. Throttle position sensor issue, tuneup required??....any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Ken

Ken,

Borrow a scanner and verify that your fuel trims are running between +10 and -10 on both banks. That will rule out a Lean condition. Surging may be from an intake leak, a bunch of sensors (MAP and TPS are usual culprits), or clutch problem. A scanner will be able to rule out Lean condition (which will probably eliminate leak/MAP). You may get lucky and see system faults below a CEL indicator within the scanner.

sassmouth

Ken,

Borrow a scanner and verify that your fuel trims are running between +10 and -10 on both banks. That will rule out a Lean condition. Surging may be from an intake leak, a bunch of sensors (MAP and TPS are usual culprits), or clutch problem. A scanner will be able to rule out Lean condition (which will probably eliminate leak/MAP). You may get lucky and see system faults below a CEL indicator within the scanner.
Yeah I'll try that too. All i have is the Innova 3160 scanner. I don't think that specific check can be done. The only issue that was found was Code C121A Steering Angle Sensor not Initialized.

I tried checking clutch engagement by driving in 3rd and then shifting down to see if it is slipping....nothing yet.

jknikos

its good to find the source of your problem.How many miles did you get from your clutch? I have always been wondering how hard can it be to change a clutch by your your:thinking:self...

sassmouth

its good to find the source of your problem.How many miles did you get from your clutch? I have always been wondering how hard can it be to change a clutch by your your:thinking:self...
About 37000. I drive through a lot of wet stuff though when hitting the trails

gheller

I've heard some good things about CenterForce clutch setups. I would think that the OEM clutch would be fine as long as your axle gear ratios are on the high side.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom