Upgrading rear brakes?

Cubewarrior

Hi,

Have the TF big brake kit (fronts only). I have a heavy JKUR w/ LS conversion and 4.10 gearing. Pedal feels mushy but there is no air in line--I've just gotten used to it. Stopping with TF kit is better on the streets than with OEM.

We do a lot of mountain paths with lots of switchbacks -- when going on long downhills I'm getting a lot of brake fade (mostly 4HI).

Would upgrading rears or swapping master cylinder help in this situation?

Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
Did the TF kit come with a master cylinder? Or still OEM? If you're at a stop with your foot on the brake, does it fade down? Maybe an internal bypass?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I've heard that the pedal will feel mushy with those brakes. It's actually the bigger brake booster that is causing your pedal to feel like that. That size brake booster is mostly used on pickup trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cubewarrior

Hmmmm [emoji848], I know right

LC9/6L80E w/ upgraded rear internals on rear 44 and PR44 Unlimited in front. This set-up works just fine, and when/if it breaks, I'll go bigger.

Now -- back to the brake fade on long downhills... I have the TF master cylinder-- will upgrading rears or switching master cylinders reduce the fade on long downhill trails?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
LC9/6L80E w/ upgraded rear internals on rear 44 and PR44 Unlimited in front. This set-up works just fine, and when/if it breaks, I'll go bigger.

Now -- back to the brake fade on long downhills... I have the TF master cylinder-- will upgrading rears or switching master cylinders reduce the fade on long downhill trails?

I am really not sure about that, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, but that's more $$$$ and it might not fix it.

Journeyman

No need to be sensitive. I'm just trying to get down to the specifics of your setup as I personally have experience with a heavy jku on the 37's with 4.10 gear ratio.
The factory brakes are not enough! Even with the improvements from the big brake kit on the front I would think it would be enough. I'm not sure the difference between weight of an LS to your old 3.8 but I wouldn't think it would get any lighter. Yes your 09 has the smaller master cylinder. The terra flex upgraded one is from what I can gather is a re badged jku from 12 and up. I would personally look into dynatracs big brake kit if your determined to stay on your 44's

Cubewarrior

No need to be sensitive. I'm just trying to get down to the specifics of your setup as I personally have experience with a heavy jku on the 37's with 4.10 gear ratio.
The factory brakes are not enough! Even with the improvements from the big brake kit on the front I would think it would be enough. I'm not sure the difference between weight of an LS to your old 3.8 but I wouldn't think it would get any lighter. Yes your 09 has the smaller master cylinder. The terra flex upgraded one is from what I can gather is a re badged jku from 12 and up. I would personally look into dynatracs big brake kit if your determined to stay on your 44's

Thanks -- that's kind of what I was afraid of (needing disks all the way around). I'm pushing 5800 lbs with all the gear in it.

Journeyman

Thanks -- that's kind of what I was afraid of (needing disks all the way around). I'm pushing 5800 lbs with all the gear in it.

What you need are one ton axles. I would think a d44 in the rear would not survive very long with an LS and that kind of weight.

holliewood61

Since you already have the ls in place it may be worth swapping over to hydro boost. The proper power steering pump from a truck, lines, and a compatible master cylinder should be all you need

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cubewarrior

Since you already have the ls in place it may be worth swapping over to hydro boost. The proper power steering pump from a truck, lines, and a compatible master cylinder should be all you need

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for mentioning this -- I wasn't aware that the braking issue could be symptomatic for LC9/L9H due to the programming and GM-standard boost set-up. This gives me a good path to research.

Top Bottom