Chromolly Shafts

Is it worth changing to chromolly shafts front and rear right now when I get my new gears installed or do I really need them? I got a quote for RCV fronts for $1300, $1430 for Revolution front and rears, and $760 for Yukon fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
There isn't a ton of labor to replace shafts later. But if you're going to do it now, I would say the revolution is your best bet. Make sure the fronts have the full circle clips on the ujoints.

BobNH

I had the Revolution 1540h in my d35 and they were very good. I had the same questions as you, and had it been gears only, I would not have, but I was adding a trutrac and felt the $135 pwr shaft was worth it for peace of mind. And I agree, simple job to replace axle shafts, at least it was for my tj d35. I think d44 requires the seals to be pressed in.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Blackhawkip

Depends on your pocket book, how you will be using your rig, and how it's set up. Going to 37s, I chose to go with RCV fronts/ and Factory TEN rear. Worth it to me to have peace of mind when out in the middle of nowhere.

J

JKDream

Is it worth changing to chromolly shafts front and rear right now when I get my new gears installed or do I really need them? I got a quote for RCV fronts for $1300, $1430 for Revolution front and rears, and $760 for Yukon fronts.

The stock shafts are actually quite strong.
The more common issue is having a u-joint clip pop off and then taking out the ears on the shaft.
This can happen to a stock shaft, or a chromo shaft.
The cost effective route is going to a full circle clip u-joint.
I personally wouldn't upgrade the rear until it breaks, as the most common break is a bent flange.
That won't leave you stranded, it rather just feels like a wheel out of balance.

jeeeep

Hooked

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

personally I wouldn't spend the money on RCV's.

as for replacing the axle shafts, depends if they're bad and how much wheeling you plan to do. As was mentioned earlier, the stock units are pretty strong. If the stock units are still good, I'd run them until you really need to swap them out.

when looking for rear axle shafts, check if they come with the bearings pressed on, if they don't it'll cost you about $150/shaft to get them pressed on.

If you have a press then no worries.

Just check the u-joints/clips once in awhile and save your money or other upgrades.

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
Very valid points already mentioned however if you are on the budget I think you can get away with stock Rubicon shafts until you actually break or bent them. Then you can definitely upgrade and it is relatively easy do it yourself install.
Good luck.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, the factory shafts are surprisingly strong and will hold up just about as well as any aftermarket shaft. The only real difference up front is that the u-joints just have c-clips instead of full circle clips. In the rear, you're just as likely to bend a flange on an aftermarket shaft as you are a factory shaft. If it were me, I'd just run them until I had to replace them and when you do, I certainly wouldn't pay the $400 premium for a set of RCV's. Just get a good set of chromoly shafts and make sure they come with full circle clips.

Top Bottom