Looking at trading for a TJ. Advice.

Lone Star

So I've been a member for almost 2 years now on a and off active,and finally may be able to work out a deal and get a TJ. Iwhich will be my first Jeep ever! I ended up with a 2000 ford ranger with a 5.0 engine swap. I've been looking to possibly trade it for a YJ or a TJ, I've only got $3500 into it.

I found this guy about 3 hrs away that has a TJ and is interested in trading my truck (which is just sitting around now)and a rifle Winchester m70 featherweight .270 ( which I've had for almost 2 years and have only broken in he barrel and sighted it in) for his 97 TJ. He has a 2.5L, manual. 2" susp lift + 2"body lift, and looks to be well used. He said has 110k miles on it. Looks like him and his buddies have just beat the heck out of it. He sent me horrible pics of inside.
Hasn't cleaned the thing in years, torn up seat covers. Says needs a fuel pump and is good to go.

Thoughts?! Here are pics of both my truck and his TJ.

I've found several other YJ and TJ but hard to find someone willing to straight trade.

IMG_0957.jpg IMG_0955.jpg IMG_0997.jpg IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1002.jpg IMG_1003.jpg IMG_1004.jpg IMG_1005.jpg IMG_1006.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
The fact that he sent you pics like that tells me he thinks it's acceptable to look like that, let alone send pictures like that to a potential buyer! I assume the mechanical condition of the vehicle has been neglected the same. I wouldn't do it myself. I've noticed on this forum that as much as members use their Jeeps to their full potential, they really take care of them and keep them clean as well. That jeep in the pics says "I don't give a fuck."

Lone Star

Thanks WJCO, that's kind of the impression I was getting, but my mind is saying but this is your chance to finally get a Jeep! lol I just don't think I really want to inherit some punks disaster due to negligence and just lack of care. And then on the other hand hoping that just maybe I could look past it knowing it's a jeep and they hold up well? I really am torn, but at least cognoscente enough to come to you guys and hopefully get some honest opinions. I really don't want to inherit a complete mess.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I'm with WJCO. If the inside is that trashed who knows what's been neglected mechanically. Hang on to your truck and keep saving. When the moment is right, another jeep will present itself and it will be in much better condition.

Lone Star

That's good enough for me. I won't mess with it then. I'll keep searching and I'll post up other opportunities here as they come. We shall see what the near future will bring. I appreciate yalls opinion and advice! Thanks a lot! Really!

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Man that TJs been ridden hard and put away wet! It's always best to buy the best car you can afford rather than the cheapest car you can find. I'd say hold out for something better

Those seat covers suck anyways, so I'd ignore those. As far as smart deal? The 2.5l is not a great selling point. But a beat up jeep is guaranteed to hold its value way longer then that ranger with an engine swap. If the frame isn't rusty I'd say it's worth looking at and test driving. Any rusty spots at all run away.

Lone Star

Those seat covers suck anyways, so I'd ignore those. As far as smart deal? The 2.5l is not a great selling point. But a beat up jeep is guaranteed to hold its value way longer then that ranger with an engine swap. If the frame isn't rusty I'd say it's worth looking at and test driving. Any rusty spots at all run away.

That's where another large problem comes in, bad fuel pump, won't start. Expensive test drive. But that is as kind of what was keeping me undecided at first too. For what I've got in the truck would I be. Eter off being able to get into the TJ and. If need be sell that TJ and come out on top still if it came to it.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
There's a lot of ifs and would be on me to fix the fuel pump issue and hope that mechanically things aren't as bad as the inside of the jeep.

Plus replacing the fuel pump is a pain in the ass anyways. I had to do mine a couple months agoand I don't have a transmission jack. It's an in tank pump so you have to unbolt the skid, lower it with tank and then replace it.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bustedback

I would pass on that one. There's plenty of Jeeps out there that are closer to you and are in way better condition. I recommend finding one that hasn't been lifted or messed with, you don't want to deal with someone else's possible shit install. Part of the fun of owning a Jeep is modifying it your self the way you want. Be patient, the right one will find you.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The problem with finding a Jeep when you're really wanting a Jeep is that it's easy to make excuses as to why you should buy it. Because of this, I would take a deep breath and step away from this one. Looking can be part of the fun and trust me, if you do it long enough, you will find something that you really want and you'll also know if it's a good deal.

Lone Star

I found one I would really like to have , a 90 YJ in pretty much stock condition and running well. I've got the truck up for sale as well, if I can sale the truck and the guy still has it I would really like to try and get it. IMG_0903.JPG IMG_0904.JPG IMG_0909.JPG it is pretty much rust free as well besides to minor surface rust spots inside the tub. 128k miles. He is selling it for $4k. I would pay it, I've test driven this one and looked at it. But I may just be e cited about it as well, what's the real actual worth for one like that? he didn't want to trade for my truck, so it didn't work out.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I found one I would really like to have , a 90 YJ in pretty much stock condition and running well. I've got the truck up for sale as well, if I can sale the truck and the guy still has it I would really like to try and get it. View attachment 265190 View attachment 265191 View attachment 265192 it is pretty much rust free as well besides to minor surface rust spots inside the tub. 128k miles. He is selling it for $4k. I would pay it, I've test driven this one and looked at it. But I may just be e cited about it as well, what's the real actual worth for one like that? he didn't want to trade for my truck, so it didn't work out.

If it truly is rust free and looks as nice as it does in pictures then IMO its worth 4k

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lone Star

I know, I also have a 91 Honda Civic sedan. Just about to come out of shop rebuilding upper motor. I may see if the guy would be interested in it, since will be making longer drives to dallas more often for school. Maybe 30+mpg will interest him more clean car too. Keep fingers crossed!

Top Bottom