matt08jk's Build Thread 2.0

matt08jk

Im excited to announce that, after a couple year hiatus and the sale of my 2008 two-door Rubicon, I have returned to the Jeep community, only this time I should rename myself matt16jku. Here is my old rig as she sat when I sold her:
jeepFinal1.jpg

But, like I said, I sold her and have regretted that decision the entire time. So I purchased a billet silver 2016 JKU Sport S a few months ago, and here is how she sits today (Ill send photos when the sun comes up) nothing major has been done, mostly interior stuff:
- AEV Leveling Kit
- Bartact Seat Covers (Coyote)
- Bartact Grab Handles
- Weather Tech Floor Mats
- Smittybilt Side Steps
- Spiderwebshade
- Added a hitch

I don't really have plans laid out and was not planning to do a build thread, until I decided to start ordering stuff this week! and it began to snowball!!!! Here is what is coming in as we speak:

- 315-70-17 BF Goodrich KO2s (the old style)
- ProComp 1484 Alloy Wheels powder coated tan
- AEV Procal
- Smittybilt Oversize Tire Carrier
- Some recovery gear (snatch strap, ARB tire plug kit, etc...)
- Metalcloak Side Marker Lights (for the pending fender trim)
- G2 C-Gussets and Control Arm Skids
- Pixeldecal American Flag Decals
- G2 4.10 gears with minor install kit

My general idea is to build an expedition/overland/car camping/whatever kind of rig, so I know that bumpers, winch, disconnects and upgraded lift, roof rack, lights, storage and so much more will follow, but for now I can't wait to get that stuff in and on the Jeep.

We are planning to go hit up Rausch Creek for the 4th of July weekend, so I have one week to get all this stuff installed. Photos to follow! Good to be back to Jeep waving!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Welcome back! Let see some photos of the new rig.

If you do want a screen name change you'll need to PM Admin asking to have them do that for you. [emoji106]

matt08jk

Some current Photos

So here is how it sits currently....
Jeep Before.jpg

And the 315/70/17 ProComp 1484 Wheels that had the BFG KO2s put on them this morning!!!
Jeep New Wheels.jpg

....which were purchased to match the already installed Bartact Seat Covers....
Jeep Seats.jpg

The tire carrier is here and more stuff showing up this week!!!!!!!!!!!

matt08jk

To wheel or not to wheel....

The shop doing my gear swap and C2 gusset welds could not fit me in this week, only availability is next week....and we are planning to go to Rausch Creek this weekend....

So the question is: How bad is it to wheel this weekend with 315/70/17 tires on a Dana 30 front axle (with no gussets or truss) with 3.21 gears???

Clutch

Caught the Bug
The shop doing my gear swap and C2 gusset welds could not fit me in this week, only availability is next week....and we are planning to go to Rausch Creek this weekend....

So the question is: How bad is it to wheel this weekend with 315/70/17 tires on a Dana 30 front axle (with no gussets or truss) with 3.21 gears???

You'll be fine. Go have fun! Also, from everything I've read a truss is never needed.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

matt08jk

Got some stuff done...but not without issues.

Ok, got the tires/wheels on, chopped and bedlined the fenders and installed the rear tire carrier. I also saw my recip saw laying around and cut my bumper down to a stubby for some reason. Bumper will get swapped sometime soon anyway.

image.jpg

One problem I ran into are the metalcloak side marker lights. Installed both the same way but only passenger side works. The driver side not only doesn't work but it made the front marker light turn signal light go out too. Oddly this light works for the turn signal....but not as a steady light when the headlights are on. Any ideas?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 81

matt08jk

Lookin good! I dig the wheel color, I was debating on same for my rig!

Thanks! Yea I wasn't sure how it would turn out, silver and tan. But I like it! If you get the same wheels I'd love to see how they look on your rig.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
So here is how it sits currently....
View attachment 265237

And the 315/70/17 ProComp 1484 Wheels that had the BFG KO2s put on them this morning!!!
View attachment 265238

....which were purchased to match the already installed Bartact Seat Covers....
View attachment 265239

The tire carrier is here and more stuff showing up this week!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheels and Bartacts look good! I've been wanting a set of the coyote bartacts and haven't seen any.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

matt08jk

Wheels and Bartacts look good! I've been wanting a set of the coyote bartacts and haven't seen any.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hey thanks. I'll say this about the bartacts, they definitely are worth the money. Fit really well and my son spills apple juice in the back seat everyday and they wipe clean like new.

ALSO! My jeep is under the knife as we speak getting 4.10 gears, c-gussets and control arm skids!!!!!! Should get her back tomorrow!!!

matt08jk

Gears and gussets...

Just got her back...had 4.10 gears put in and c-gussets and lca skids.....the armor looks good but what do you guys think about at least the exterior of the gear swap. Is that exposed metal normal.....and dumb question....I should paint those spots they left exposed right?
image.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Your axle is so clean, shiny and new looking that I'm not even sure what you're referring to. Are you talking about the spot next to the diff cover where a case spreader would go? If so, the paint there probably just came off from brake cleaner being sprayed into your diff. It's really no big deal but you could hit it up with some frame paint. :yup:

WJCO

Meme King
I'm not seeing any metal either. If you're referring to the gray RTV squeezing out, that won't hurt anything.

matt08jk

LOL!! Your axle is so clean, shiny and new looking that I'm not even sure what you're referring to. Are you talking about the spot next to the diff cover where a case spreader would go? If so, the paint there probably just came off from brake cleaner being sprayed into your diff. It's really no big deal but you could hit it up with some frame paint. :yup:

Yes I was talking about that spot to the right of the diff cover. Ok, cool...I'll hit it with some frame paint and move out. Thanks for the help....that's why I asked....cuz I don't know shit about what right/wrong looks like.....yet. Haha.

So I think I'm done for now for a bit. Gonna take it on some weekend trips and see how it does!

So phase one is now done....(I think)...
4.10 gear and lca skids/c-gussets
AEV 2" spacer lift
315 BFG KO2s on pro comps
Cut fenders and front stock bumper
Random interior stuff and recovery gear

Cannot wait to start the next phase, which I WAS gonna list out but I change my mind daily about it....so I'll let my wallet recover a little bit and continue to get ideas off this site.

THANKS!

matt08jk

Update...

Im a little overdue but added a few things the last few weeks...

-Smittybilt XRC Gen 1 Front and Rear Bumpers
-Smittybilt X20 10k Winch
-AEV Snorkel
-EVO Hi-Lift Jack Mount

So now it looks like this...
DSC_0056.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg

....but now...I want to upgrade from the AEV Spacer Lift really badly. We took it out for some wheeling and, while it did good, I want it to be better and adding the bumpers caused some noticeable sagging. So Im researching a 2.5" kit now....looking, of course, at RK, Metalcloak, AEV, and JKS....and can't decide. Choices choices choices.

Top Bottom