Master Cylinder upgraded with Dyantrac Prorock 60s?

Finn Sizzle

I'll be installing the Hard Core ProRock 60/60 Axle-Set and since all 4 wheel will also be upgrading from the single piston to the dual piston calipers, should I also upgrade the Master Cylinder? I have read that there was an OEM change in the MC between the 07-11 JK and then from 12+, however I cannot find the specifics. For anyone that had installed these axles, had you left the OEM MC in place or had you upgraded? Looking for experience and feedback. Thanks folks!

Journeyman

According to my research you would be correct with the MC changes. I did not change mine on my 13 and at first I was freaked out by the change in pedal stroke. Once the brakes were embed in and had some miles the brakes work great now but there still definitely a longer pedal stroke than before which takes some getting used to.
I believe mopar is offering a larger MC with their 60 package that I'm sure you could pick up. I would like to try it on mine but I'm mostly stoked on my brakes and I have an arb on the more mount right above the master cylinder which would make the change a ton more trouble for me so I'm not planning on changing it.
Don't do the terraflex I believe it's just a rebadged 12 and up mopar MC.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You shouldn't need to change the master. Just make sure everything is bleed properly and all the air is out of the system and you should be just fine.

Finn Sizzle

According to my research you would be correct with the MC changes. I did not change mine on my 13 and at first I was freaked out by the change in pedal stroke. Once the brakes were embed in and had some miles the brakes work great now but there still definitely a longer pedal stroke than before which takes some getting used to.
I believe mopar is offering a larger MC with their 60 package that I'm sure you could pick up. I would like to try it on mine but I'm mostly stoked on my brakes and I have an arb on the more mount right above the master cylinder which would make the change a ton more trouble for me so I'm not planning on changing it.
Don't do the terraflex I believe it's just a rebadged 12 and up mopar MC.

That is exactly what I was thinking when researching their D60 option, however I could not find any references or dependencies linking it to a MC component.

I was able to find this: Part Number(s): P5160050, High performance master cylinder and booster kit. 1 1/8 inch bore. Same OEM parts included in Mopar's Big Brake Kit (P5160051).

I have not been able to find any additional options as an upgrade. Thanks for the information.......The search continues!

Finn Sizzle

You shouldn't need to change the master. Just make sure everything is bleed properly and all the air is out of the system and you should be just fine.

Yes, most information I have read states the same. I'll probably start out this way and see how much of a difference I get in pedal travel when applying the brakes.

Journeyman

That is exactly what I was thinking when researching their D60 option, however I could not find any references or dependencies linking it to a MC component.

I was able to find this: Part Number(s): P5160050, High performance master cylinder and booster kit. 1 1/8 inch bore. Same OEM parts included in Mopar's Big Brake Kit (P5160051).

I have not been able to find any additional options as an upgrade. Thanks for the information.......The search continues!

I'm not sure, but I believe the factory is a 7/8" bore there's an old thread somewhere around here that's got a ton of info.
Honestly I would try it without the upgrade. Like I said my brakes are rad now, I could literally lock up all four 37's if the traction control would let me. You just have to get used to the different feel of the pedal. The only thing that annoys me is that the pedal feels weird/off if I panic stab the brakes. I'm also actually on the factory rear brake lines still, so maybe changing those out would help that. One of my next changes will be some crown rears and maybe that will change some things for my setup.

ThatChemicalGuy

I used the upgraded Mopar MC on my JK8 and it worked great. Super easy install. I never knew how bad my brakes were until I added it. But as others have stated before, I don't think you'll need it. I just got it because I was upgrading everything else so why not? Lol

Bigjimbo

FWIW -

Teraflex and Raybestos make a larger MC using the OEM booster. Mopar and Currie make a combo kit.

Based on what I've read from others, the Mopar kit seems favored - at least on the UD60s which have even bigger brakes than the 60/60.

I'll drive with my oem setup and if I think it needs more pedal, I'll upgrade.

jeffj

Caught the Bug

What Steve said....I don't know the specifics, but I can tell you that with the upgrade that comes with the axels the stopping power is unreal and I'm running 40's and weighing in at about 6500lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
By proper bleeding, you need to have a shop with a scan tool do an ABS bleed. It's the only way to ensure ALL the air is evacuated from the system.

2011jk

What Steve said....I don't know the specifics, but I can tell you that with the upgrade that comes with the axels the stopping power is unreal and I'm running 40's and weighing in at about 6500lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Same here except mine has the big brake option and I hand bleed...stops insanely good!

Finn Sizzle

Good information and experience, thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I am going to leave OEM in place for now and see how it feels post axle install. If it gets to the point where I'm not liking the pedal travel I'll probably upgrade. Thanks again!

Top Bottom