Experinces with Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's

OkieDeke

What are the forums experience with these tires. I am peeling a lift off or new to us '15 JKUR and going back with a long arm kit and part of the plan is a new set of 37's I know Eddie ran or is running Coopers. How true to size do you all find them for calibration? I am considering Nitto Trail Grappler MT's, BFG KM2's or the Coopers SST Pros. I am leaning toward the Coopers or Nittos as I like the side wall bite on them. was curious what kind feedback anyone might .... performance, handling, wear, value, anything really....

edited my post to put less emphasis on the "hole true to size deal" thanks for the call out .... and good point

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What are the forums experience with these tires. I am peeling a lift off or new to us '15 JKUR and going back with a long arm kit and part of the plan is a new set of 37's I know Eddie ran or is running Coopers. How true to size do you all find them for calibration? I am considering Nitto Trail Grappler MT's, BFG KM2's or the Coopers SST Pros. I am leaning toward the Coopers or Nittos as I like the side wall bite on them. was curious if Coopers run small or true to size, and any other thoughts on them?

You really need to get over the whole "true" tire size thing as NO tire measures what is listed on the sidewall and nobody in the industry refers to "true" size when talking about things like what lift works with what tire. The only time "true" tire size matters is when you're calibrating your speedometer. Otherwise, we always just go off of the number on the sidewall. Click on the link below to see what I'm talking about.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/35075-The-Ultimate-TRUE-TIRE-SIZE-Database

With that said, Coopers run taller and wider than my old Nittos.

Robertcrav

Love them!! autocompress1498421461596.jpg
34215aae727304abb93ff331191112e1.jpg
autocompress1498421487079.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
You really need to get over the whole "true" tire size thing as NO tire measures what is listed on the sidewall and nobody in the industry refers to "true" size when talking about things like what lift works with what tire. The only time "true" tire size matters is when you're calibrating your speedometer. Otherwise, we always just go off of the number on the sidewall. Click on the link below to see what I'm talking about.

I agree. I'd be more concerned with capability, and road manners.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OkieDeke

thanks, not really hung up on it. More curious than anything. Would never calibrate without actually measuring, thanks for the response. Are coopers meeting your expectations? And thanks for link....neat thread!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
thanks, not really hung up on it. More curious than anything. Would never calibrate without actually measuring, thanks for the response. Are coopers meeting your expectations?

More like exceeding my expectations. I always love to try out new tires but have always defaulted to Toyos as they've always proven to be all around good tires. Nitto Trail Grapplers in a 40" size were a great tire too but I didn't like them as much in a 37 - totally different tire. Unlike Trail Grapplers, Coopers don't have the strong radial pull to the left and so far, I have found them to hook up much better on the rocks. Coopers are slightly more audible on the highway but nothing I would consider to be loud or noisy.

WJCO

Meme King
As stated, true tire size might as well suck on a bee's pecker. It's not accurate. As far as the other criteria for the coopers.....Second best thing I've ever felt.

Andy5160

Hooked
More like exceeding my expectations. I always love to try out new tires but have always defaulted to Toyos as they've always proven to be all around good tires. Nitto Trail Grapplers in a 40" size were a great tire too but I didn't like them as much in a 37 - totally different tire. Unlike Trail Grapplers, Coopers don't have the strong radial pull to the left and so far, I have found them to hook up much better on the rocks. Coopers are slightly more audible on the highway but nothing I would consider to be loud or noisy.

Good to know. I guess I have my answer from another thread :)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Robertcrav

I previously ran the original STTs, and ST Maxx's on a full size Bronco and was really happy them. My brother runs the ST Maxx in a 35 on his JK, I have ST Pros and I'm very happy with them. As Eddie said their is a slight hum but far from the loudest tires I've ever owned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using WAYALIFE mobile app

I just put on 40" stt's and took them off road for the first time this weekend. They exceeded all expectations. They saw rock boulders, slick rain, sand, mud and steep loose gravel climbs all in one day. Performance was amazing. Testing them on sticky Granite next weekend, which I'm even more excited about.

JeepJeep75

I have 15k miles on my SST 35's. I've run them all the way down to 7 psi on the rocks and they feel great. They definitely have signs of off road use, like some gouges here and there. They do have a hum from about 15 to about 60, can't really hear after that speed. On the highway daily driving at 28 psi they feel great.

Journeyman

I've got about 10k on my 37's they out perform the toyo rt's that came off in every way. Rain, snow, rocks etc. As others have stated they track straight going down the hwy. My toyo rt's even had a bit of pull left.
They do open up a bit and have a bit of a hum but they are a much more aggressive tire. Non beadlocks I aired them down to 10 psi with no issues and so far I've dropped to 7 with beadlocks and they actually felt more solid than 10 on my other wheels.

OkieDeke

Exactly the feedback I was hoping to recieve, pulling the trigger on the STT Pro 37's today. Here I come Amazon! Thanks again everyone.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I got mine from wal-mart mail order of all places. Free shipping too.

FYI, my 37's measure right at 35.5" inches with weight on (for the speedo correction).

2011jk

You found the Coopers better than the Nitto Trail Grapplers in a 40" size? Or better than the 37"?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You found the Coopers better than the Nitto Trail Grapplers in a 40" size? Or better than the 37"?

I found the Cooper STT Pro in a 37x13.50 to be WAY BETTER then the Trail Grapplers in a 37" size. The 40" Trail Grappler is a totally different tire and on the rocks, they're pretty similar to the STT Pro with the edge having to go to the STT Pro when especially when it comes to hooking up on the rocks. On snow/ice, the STT Pros are also still much better than the Trail Grapplers. Cornering fast in a sandy wash, the Trail Grapplers will do a better job of holding your line.

Destroyer

This is great news and makes me even more confident in my purchase! I pulled the trigger last Friday on 37x13.5x17 STTs and ATX Slabs in black. Should be in on the 3rd. Super Excited!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom