Summit Nationals at Summit Motorsports Park 6/23-6/24

Ddays

Hooked
Well this will be a total change of pace but I imagine there's a bunch of guys here that either follow or have been to a pro drag race. If you have not you HAVE to get to one of these in your lifetime. The nitro classes (Dragster & Funny Car) are just unbelievable. 10,000+ horsepower that you have to experience to appreciate what these cars do. Simply put, there is no other motorsport I can think of that is an absolute assault on your senses like those nitro cars. Your freakin eyeballs rattle when they go past you on the strip! Its been a loooong time since I've been to a national event and after having gone this weekend, this is back on my yearly to-do list. Simply awesome.

Here's some of the action from the weekend

Top fuel first.
Note how the wheels try to rip themselves from the tires at launch

TF1.jpg tf2.jpg tf3.jpg tf4.jpg tf5.jpg

Funny Cars

fc2.jpg fc6.jpg fc7.jpg

Pro Stock

ps1.jpg ps1.jpg ps02.jpg

Pro Stock Bike

psb.jpg

Honestly, Pro Mod might have been my favorite class. There are three styles of motors in these cars: Nitrous, Supercharged, & Turbo. All run heads up and all run totally differently going down the track. When the nitrous cars start lighting off you see them just frickin take off. Same with the turbo cars. Cool as hell.

promod nox.jpg

promod sc.jpg

pmturbo.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
One of the best parts of these events is the access you have to the pits along with your ticket. You don't have to buy anything else or be a VIP. You can get right up to the cars and watch the crews work on tearing the cars down between rounds. The drivers come out and sign autographs & talk with the fans. Its really cool

bl.jpg pit 3.jpg pit1.jpg pit2.jpg pit4.jpg pit6.jpg pit7.jpg pit8.jpg pit9.jpg pit10.jpg pit11.jpg pit12.jpg pit14.jpg pit15.jpg pit16.jpg pit17.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Scored a piston from Matt Hagans Funny Car

Edit: Wife totally doesn't get this & thinks I'm retarded.

0625171740.jpg

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Awesome pics Jerry! So cool watching them race!

You gotta love how they tear down and rebuild the motor after EVERY race due to the extreme pressures in those motors compared to what our motors do daily

Ddays

Hooked
Awesome pics Jerry! So cool watching them race!

You gotta love how they tear down and rebuild the motor after EVERY race due to the extreme pressures in those motors compared to what our motors do daily

It's really cool how fast they can do it too! I wonder what the cylinder pressures are in those nitro motors. 10,000+ HP?! :eek: I was surprised at the construction of the piston. It's pretty light and I guess it has to be but I was thinking they were some exotic alloy or something. They're aluminum with a harder metal cap on the dome. Not sure what the cap is but gonna try to look that up.

Edit: Huh, according to the manufacturers site, (Venolia) the pistons are all one piece solid forged aluminum.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It's really cool how fast they can do it too! I wonder what the cylinder pressures are in those nitro motors. 10,000+ HP?! :eek: I was surprised at the construction of the piston. It's pretty light and I guess it has to be but I was thinking they were some exotic alloy or something. They're aluminum with a harder metal cap on the dome. Not sure what the cap is but gonna try to look that up.

Edit: Huh, according to the manufacturers site, (Venolia) the pistons are all one piece solid forged aluminum.

Yea they are solid forged aluminum. Most of the block is forged components. Forging is the strongest process

Ddays

Hooked
A lot of cool facts of Top Fuel cars here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Fuel

How bout these:
Top fuel cars produce 150db of sound at full throttle going down the track.
Headers produce 1000# of downforce
Rear wing produces 12,000# of downforce at top speed (330 mph)
Superchargers takes 600hp to drive
The entire block is made of forged aluminum with ductile iron liners

Top Bottom