HELP RESEARCH *New Overland Rig for my Family*

BenJKWrangler15

*Stumbling through Forums* Alright, I think I found the spot...

*Clears throat*

Ermh erhm...

I'M BACKKKKKK!!!

Well, kinda.

Hey everyone! It's me. Who? Yeah, you're probably right to ask. I've been away from this forum for toooooo daaamnnn long.

Long story short, I had a newborn baby boy named Logan showing up on my doorsteps on December 3rd of 2016 - since then, I've been fairly busy with him, surfing on the Internet for baby stuff & infos more than Jeeps Parts & 4X4s novelty.

But here I am, 6 months, almost 7, later, showing up on the WAYALIFE Forum doorsteps like a reborn enthusiast for everything Jeep related. And let me tell you, man OH MAN do I have a lot of catching up to do.

Nonetheless, it became pretty clear to me, after half a year of daily driving something OTHER than my beloved RaccøønJK 2015 manual 2DR Wrangler (the wife's Sedan 2016 Kia Forte, if you can believe it) I realised something heartbreaking... The RaccøønJK ain't going to cut it. Period.

I got 2 doors to get in and out of it (a pain in the a$$ with a baby car seat) little to NO trunk space (because, you know, I had to put the backseat back in there for the baby to strap in somewhere) no A/C (didn't mind at all when I bought it since if it was hot enough outside for A/C that meant I was probably going to take the top off) but with the wife and the kid in there, can't really do that for extended period of times due to baby fragile immune system & stuff. So... ... ...

I listed it for sale on Kijiji (the Jeep, not the baby or the wife) for 26 500$ CAD (which is about 20 000$ USD) with 53 000 KM on it (roughly about 33 500 miles) and fully equiped with all the good stuff (fron & rear bumpers, winch, 33X12.5R15 all season General Grabber AT2 tires, lift kit, some LEDs fog lights, recovery gear and so on) and am now looking to purchase a more "family friendly" type of 4X4 vehicule with lots of room to spare for extended overlanding trips with the family.

(NEVER WILL I FOOT STEP IN A MINVAN)

That's why & where I need your help.

Now I know what you're thinking "Why not just trade in my JK for a JKU, or wait for the new JL or even the JT?" (which I'd LOVE to put my hands on [emoji7] but that's not really practical as it's not even available yet) Well, the answer is quite simple - as much as I'd like to trade in my JK in for a JKU, a JKUR even, it isn't worth it... And by that I mean I'm losing too much money-wise due to financing of a new vehicule with the paid out from my current JK - I know because I've been shopping for the last 6 months! (Ever since Logan came into this world) and it's just not going to happen.

So I resigned and decided to sell it as is and only then start fresh and purchase another vehicule.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love (and hate) to see my JK go fast and buy a JKU or JKUR, new or second-hand (probably the latest) but the truth is I don't want it. I do but I don't. And here's why :

*Deep breath after this prelude diarhea of words*

I want something to haul my family around, with all the gear, baby essentials, camping gear, luggages, food, water, etc etc that is also roomy enough for other family members to tag along yet that baby Logan, the Wife and I can sleep IN if need be with easy access to the driver seat in case of an emergency and also something that will serve my day to day needs when not off on the roads & trails and all that.

The conclusion? I need a Pick Up truck.

*TATATADAAAAAAAAAAAAM - Muffled screams*

Yeah. A Pick Up truck. A double-cab, 6ft. Bed (at least) 4X4 roaming machine that will be the ultimate go-to vehicule for future family trips, expeditions, camping & exploring nonsense as well as being practical when not all loaded up with goodies for that purpose.

A Pick Up truck. Need to read that slowly in a deep cavernous voice out loud again? A Pick. Up. Truck.

Fxck.

As much as I love Jeeps (all of the FSJs, Wranglers, Willys (the first ones, not the decal package FCA offers for the current JK models) Wagonneers, Cherokees, Wagons, FCJs and so on...

None of them fit my current needs.

I need something fairly new (like in the 2000 & up range) reliable (not bashing on Jeeps, just pointing it out) 4X4 worthy, gasoline or diesel powered (what other choices do I have, really?) strong, durable, roomy, easy to drive (cause the Lady'll be driving too) that can sport big tires (37s in my mind) and be family friendly while still being an expedition worthy vehicule.

I'd like it to be mid-size but at the same time a full size would be much more roomy than it's little brother counterpart, probably a lot beefier too (meaning heavy but hey it's a truck) with fairly good approach and departure angle (not wishing for miracle, it's a truck but everything is possible) and last nut not least... ... ... Manual (AH! I'll keep dreaming)

So anyways, all of the above is WHY the upcoming JT would PROBABLY be a perfect fit but as it's not even close to production yet and will probably need 2-3 years to troubleshoot any manufacturer issues with the first models, I'm looking elsewhere, for now. The truth is, I don't know much about pick up trucks and even lesser about off road, capable, family friendly, costumizable ones.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for sticking through this long ass post but I had a lot on my mind/plate and needed to put some context in the research for a "new" off road vehicule for me and my family.

Thousands thank you.
- Logan, Noémie & Ben

IMG_9136.jpg

Peek-A-Boo!

IMG_9124.jpg

Wishing all the Fathers on this Forum & out there a late but Happy Fathers Day!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

From the little I know, I think you have to do about 6" of lift on most pickups to do 37s. You're going to hate getting a baby, car seat, etc in and out of that. Your wife is going to hate it.

I'd get an old Tundra or Tacoma, put 33s on it, and invest more money in the creature comforts that will make it easy to get out there. Nice tent, maybe an ARB fridge, etc.

That said, I drive a JKUR on 37s and use for family stuff all the time. But sounds like you've eliminated that option already.

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome back, Ben. Sorry you had to get rid of the Jeep. I will say I have owned several trucks and miss them all, but we have 3 kids now and the WJ takes us anywhere we need, even fully loaded with camping gear, and they can be found affordably. A small Toyota truck is probably going to be your best bet, but if you can land a Ford 7.3L diesel, those are good as well.

F-250. Four door, short bed with a camper shell.
Small and mid size trucks are a complete waste. Go full size. Silverado, F-series,Ram whatever. Your saying you need space right? Don't even consider a small pick up. They are uncomfortable and smaller inside than a Jeep.

My advice. Learn to handle all the babies trash in one bag. You don't need triple of everything. Get rid of the stroller. Toss out the 20 toys and ditch damn near all the "just in case" extras. Seriously. One backpack for everything baby is all you need. If it doesn't fit in the bag it's not coming along.

All that said. I have both a truck and a JK. The jeep wins out every single time. It's just way more fun to explore and camp out of compared to the truck.

BenJKWrangler15

From the little I know, I think you have to do about 6" of lift on most pickups to do 37s. You're going to hate getting a baby, car seat, etc in and out of that. Your wife is going to hate it.

I'd get an old Tundra or Tacoma, put 33s on it, and invest more money in the creature comforts that will make it easy to get out there. Nice tent, maybe an ARB fridge, etc.

That said, I drive a JKUR on 37s and use for family stuff all the time. But sounds like you've eliminated that option already.

Yeah, it's just not in the budget to go the JKUR route and also would love to have the extra room the bed of a truck provides to haul gear/live out of as well as making it a utilitarian vehicule for day to day work use.

Welcome back, Ben. Sorry you had to get rid of the Jeep. I will say I have owned several trucks and miss them all, but we have 3 kids now and the WJ takes us anywhere we need, even fully loaded with camping gear, and they can be found affordably. A small Toyota truck is probably going to be your best bet, but if you can land a Ford 7.3L diesel, those are good as well.

Was really eager to see you post in the comments WJCO! Nice to see you're still around [emoji1] Yeah, there's nice SUVs options out there, Father-In-Law owns a 2009 Tacoma and it's nice but not really what we're looking for although it is an option, an old Ford Diesel would be reaaally great but there's not a lot of those around me. And the RaccøønJK is still up for grabs if anyone interested! (plug plug)

Small and mid size trucks are a complete waste. Go full size. Silverado, F-series,Ram whatever. Your saying you need space right? Don't even consider a small pick up. They are uncomfortable and smaller inside than a Jeep.

My advice. Learn to handle all the babies trash in one bag. You don't need triple of everything. Get rid of the stroller. Toss out the 20 toys and ditch damn near all the "just in case" extras. Seriously. One backpack for everything baby is all you need. If it doesn't fit in the bag it's not coming along.

All that said. I have both a truck and a JK. The jeep wins out every single time. It's just way more fun to explore and camp out of compared to the truck.

F-250 (or truck) with camper shell certainly is a really interesting option. I'd love to got his route, yet again I am still shopping around to find the truck that fits our needs.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma with the 6.5' bed and love it. Sounds like it would be perfect for you. They are small and nimble, good offroad (not as capable as the Jeep.. but definitely not bad for a weekend camping trip), and comfortable to drive. If you get one with a TRD offroad package, you get a rear locker :)

A midsize truck is good as long as you don't need to tow anything big. Looking back, I wish I would have bought a Tundra just so I could tow the Jeep, but other than that, I love my truck.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I'd have to agree ^^^

It's almost painful to think how much more you can get in a full size truck when compared to the cost of a 4-door JK. Tons of options and ones that can be had for cheap if you're willing to buy used.

Lone Star

My plan was get a jku roof rack for gear and small expedition style trailer with roof top tent. I have 3 kids going on 4. Could put a 3rd row seat and seat belt hook ups in back. I've about accepted to not do that and go for a ram power wagon, front and rear lockers, disconnect sway bars. And winch comes stock, AEV fenders and budget boost can fit 37's. And prob as close to a jeep than any other truck, but it is a 2500 with the big hemi. Bench seat front and back can fit 6 if need be.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If something like an f250 with a camper shell would work, look at the Excursions or Expeditions for something a little shorter. Or suburbans/Yukon XLs or Tahoes/yukons. The Excursions and the suburbans/Yukon XLs would give you the length for adults and a car seat, carry all your crap inside and accessible from the cab. Ditch the third row seating and you can sleep back there. Just a thought.

A truck with a camper would be nice too if you hauled trash often or if you hunted animals etc. have the bed that's easy to wash out and you could still sleep back there.

It's a personal preference really. You might look into aftermarket support though before you buy too. Depending on what you plan on doing, some parts may be hard to get or don't exist.

Side bar: I'm not a ford fan but I do like the Excursions for the simple fact they could be purchased with a diesel. I feel like Chevy dropped the ball in that market. I still see a lot of the diesel Excursions at fairs and rodeos pulling smaller trailers.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Take a hard look at a 1st gen Toyota Tundra. Comparing stats, it's within inches of the size of a current gen Tacoma, and you can get it with a 4.7L V8. The suspension and axles would be beefier and you may only have to add a rear locker and new tires before you hit the road.

Not to mention a 1st gen Tundra has a very attractive price compared to a new Tacoma. It's worth looking into for sure.

I know it's not as sexy. But I'd look at a E-350 4x4 van. I've always liked the Sportmobile conversions but you can easily modify a standard van to your liking for a fraction of the cost and not have it be so "earth roamer".

Top Bottom