Interior Lights

J

JKDream

Noticed a new issue today. My interior lights aren't turning on with the switch. They still turn on with the doors and the gauge cluster dims. Is there a ground wire for the switch somewhere I should check?

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
You're referring to the light housing button? If the lights are still coming on via other means, it's not the wiring. Could just be a bad housing or perhaps suffered some damage at some point. Likely a cheap replacement part from the dealership if it really bothers you.

J

JKDream

You're referring to the light housing button? If the lights are still coming on via other means, it's not the wiring. Could just be a bad housing or perhaps suffered some damage at some point. Likely a cheap replacement part from the dealership if it really bothers you.

No the light switch attached beside the steering wheel.
It still dims the cluster lights and whatnot, it just doesn't turn on the interior lights when fully clicked over.

J

JKDream

Update on this - windshield wipers are now coming on with the headlight stalk on auto.
Disco'd the battery, didn't resolve the issue. I have a feeling the terminal clamps may not be tight enough.
Any other ideas?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Good idea to check the battery terminals. I had a problem with my clamps slipping of the battery posts. Shane with Genesis off-road gave a good idea of how to make them stay clamped. Loosen the clamp all the way. Place the clamp over the battery terminal grab a socket that is bigger than the post on the battery place that over the the terminal and gently beat the clamp all the way down the battery post. It will stay nice and tight that way. Mine clamps don't slip off anymore.

Also just throwing it out there. Is it possible that the clock-spring is causing your electrical issues? I am really not sure if the clock spring has anything to do with that but would like to know for myself. I also have some minor electrical problems. My radio won't shut off after I remove the key form the ignition. Now, I do have aftermarket head unit and a maestro module for over a year now and had zero problem until like 2 months ago. It is also very intermittent, there is no rule to when this happens. Lol and now the newest issue it that my radio won't turn on, I have to pull the fuse to reset the radio to make it go back on.

Hopefully somebody can chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
J

JKDream

Good idea to check the battery terminals. I had a problem with my clamps slipping of the battery posts. Shane with Genesis off-road gave a good idea of how to make them stay clamped. Loosen the clamp all the way. Place the clamp over the battery terminal grab a socket that is bigger than the post on the battery place that over the the terminal and gently beat the clamp all the way down the battery post. It will stay nice and tight that way. Mine clamps don't slip off anymore.

Also just throwing it out there. Is it possible that the clock-spring is causing your electrical issues? I am really not sure if the clock spring has anything to do with that but would like to know for myself. I also have some minor electrical problems. My radio won't shut off after I remove the key form the ignition. Now, I do have aftermarket head unit and a maestro module for over a year now and had zero problem until like 2 months ago. It is also very intermittent, there is no rule to when this happens. Lol and now the newest issue it that my radio won't turn on, I have to pull the fuse to reset the radio to make it go back on.

Hopefully somebody can chime in.

That's a good idea with the socket, I always just pressed it on by hand and what felt tight on a socket wrench was always still quite loose on the terminal.
I'm not sure about the clockspring. I haven't thrown any codes that would make me suspect it. If the ground doesn't work I'm assuming its the actual switch.

I had some electrical gremlins like that with my 08 and turned out to be the multifunction switch. What year is your jeep?

It's a 2013. Malfunction switch meaning the stalk?

J

JKDream

Another update. Taillights went out today on the way to work. Took one out after and found some horror with the trailer brake wiring from the previous owner. The entire system was not fused, and was spliced with tape which ended up pulling apart and melting the wires. Guy even had the connector by the hitch routed along the exhaust. I'm surprised I never noticed that. The HOT lead had probably eight different wires all twisted together and taped to one wire. Pulled the entire system out. Found a couple of horrible splices under the dash. Managed to fix the taillights and I think I narrowed down the original issue to one of the wires under the dash. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get to it today so I just covered the completely exposed wire with heat shrink I had near by. What a joke lol.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Another update. Taillights went out today on the way to work. Took one out after and found some horror with the trailer brake wiring from the previous owner. The entire system was not fused, and was spliced with tape which ended up pulling apart and melting the wires. Guy even had the connector by the hitch routed along the exhaust. I'm surprised I never noticed that. The HOT lead had probably eight different wires all twisted together and taped to one wire. Pulled the entire system out. Found a couple of horrible splices under the dash. Managed to fix the taillights and I think I narrowed down the original issue to one of the wires under the dash. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get to it today so I just covered the completely exposed wire with heat shrink I had near by. What a joke lol.

Wow LOL. Good to hear you found your problem.

J

JKDream

Another update for others with the same issue.
It turned out to be the multifunction switch.
The inside of the switch looked like there was glue that became sticky again probably due to the summer heat.
It was causing all kinds of issues, no interior lights, headlights either off or only on highbeam etc.
Pretty simple fix - three screws under the steering wheel, one philips two torx - entire shroud comes off.
Then it's just two connectors.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Another update for others with the same issue.
It turned out to be the multifunction switch.
The inside of the switch looked like there was glue that became sticky again probably due to the summer heat.
It was causing all kinds of issues, no interior lights, headlights either off or only on highbeam etc.
Pretty simple fix - three screws under the steering wheel, one philips two torx - entire shroud comes off.
Then it's just two connectors.

I hope it's over for you now. That sounds like a real pain in the butt trying to find something like this. Got any pics by a chance?

Top Bottom