Transmission/Clutch Noise, any help?

Fuhaxian

I can't catch a break at all. I recently got my clutch replaced due to the clutch springs falling out or something along those lines and I opted to get OEM replacement since the last one survived for so long. I'm about three or four months since getting the new clutch and about a month since the new clutch I've been experiencing this sound: https://youtu.be/lY2GIQ252OM

2010 Jeep JK

This is what I'm experiencing.

Only starts ticking after driving approximately 30 minutes.

Ticking goes completely away when I push the clutch in.

Once it ticks, I can stop the sound for a few seconds by pressing the clutch in, but comes back.

Ticking sound is louder when the clutch is slightly pressed, "ride the clutch".

Ticking sound can be hear in low RPM's when accelerating but is probably drowned out when I start to hit upwards of 2kRPM

It is rythmatic, increases and decreases with RPM in idle.

It sounds almost like a card in a bicycle spoke.

Clutch is brand new from about a few months ago and this sound never existed beforehand.

I can't get the shop to diagnose it because of work hours and I don't have enough time to drive it around to get the sound to replicate. The sound is on-going and once it begins it doesn't stop unless of course I press the clutch in.

A side note: My slave cylinder is going out on me. I have no idea if this could potentially cause the loud ticking sound.

Besides the sound, the Jeep drives normal. I have no issues at all besides the transmission occasionally popping out of first which I found out to be a common issue for 2010 Jeep JKs

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

Holy shit! That sounds awful.. Tou cant just play this for the shop that did the work? Or do you mean your work hours? Can you email the vid link to them?

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

sassmouth

I can't catch a break at all. I recently got my clutch replaced due to the clutch springs falling out or something along those lines and I opted to get OEM replacement since the last one survived for so long. I'm about three or four months since getting the new clutch and about a month since the new clutch I've been experiencing this sound: https://youtu.be/lY2GIQ252OM

2010 Jeep JK

This is what I'm experiencing.

Only starts ticking after driving approximately 30 minutes.

Ticking goes completely away when I push the clutch in.

Once it ticks, I can stop the sound for a few seconds by pressing the clutch in, but comes back.

Ticking sound is louder when the clutch is slightly pressed, "ride the clutch".

Ticking sound can be hear in low RPM's when accelerating but is probably drowned out when I start to hit upwards of 2kRPM

It is rythmatic, increases and decreases with RPM in idle.

It sounds almost like a card in a bicycle spoke.

Clutch is brand new from about a few months ago and this sound never existed beforehand.

I can't get the shop to diagnose it because of work hours and I don't have enough time to drive it around to get the sound to replicate. The sound is on-going and once it begins it doesn't stop unless of course I press the clutch in.

A side note: My slave cylinder is going out on me. I have no idea if this could potentially cause the loud ticking sound.

Besides the sound, the Jeep drives normal. I have no issues at all besides the transmission occasionally popping out of first which I found out to be a common issue for 2010 Jeep JKs

Sounds like the throwout bearing. First time I had my clutch replaced the shop didn't replace it. Had to go back to the dealer to get it taken care of.

Fuhaxian

Holy shit! That sounds awful.. Tou cant just play this for the shop that did the work? Or do you mean your work hours? Can you email the vid link to them?

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tell me about it. I have no issues at all driving but the sound is extremely irritating and I fear that it might cause severe damage in the future if I can't get this solved soon.

Fuhaxian

Sounds like the throwout bearing. First time I had my clutch replaced the shop didn't replace it. Had to go back to the dealer to get it taken care of.

I've done a lot of research and every time I think it might be the TOB there's always several posts stating the TOB makes noise with the clutch pressed in. Someone mentioned potentially a pilot bearing. I don't know how the innerworkings of the transmission/clutch work to know enough of what moves and what doesn't move along with what sounds are associated to what entities. Unfortunately I was replacing the slave cylinder and now I have an issue of not being able to bleed it. So there goes my entire week trying to solve this puzzle. I think I might have misplaced the o-ring associated to the hydraulic line so looks like I'll be purchasing a new line just so I can source myself another o-ring.

I love my Jeep but sometimes I feel like it's not worth it or I should have been smarter when purchasing the right Jeep. I have a lot of miles on her from both the previous owner and myself.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
This is what my throw out bearing sounded like. it seems similar... the dealership replaced the entire clutch assembly and throw out bearing under "good faith" after a bit of resistance as it is a "wear item" and not covered under the factory warranty My jeep had <15k miles on it, and was about 1 year old.

Last edited:

jeepr13

Had my throw out bearing replaced twice and it came back both times within a month or so. Jeep has said it might be the input shaft/ bearing causing the issue. Frustrating for sure since I am not under warranty.

sassmouth

Had my throw out bearing replaced twice and it came back both times within a month or so. Jeep has said it might be the input shaft/ bearing causing the issue. Frustrating for sure since I am not under warranty.

So why didn't they replace the pilot bearing (~$18 part) when they had everything open down there. That's the time to do it especially when they replaced the TOB twice.

Fuhaxian

This is what my throw out bearing sounded like. it seems similar... the dealership replaced the entire clutch assembly and throw out bearing under "good faith" after a bit of resistance as it is a "wear item" and not covered under the factory warranty My jeep had <15k miles on it, and was about 1 year old.

This is great!

This is the first time I've seen someone experience similar issues and I really appreciate you sending a video along with it too.

Fuhaxian

I'm riding on the idea that it actually might be clutch/TOB related. I'm no longer under manufacture warranty either and had to pay out of pocket to replace the clutch a few months ago. I have a warranty with them so if it was by chance the clutch I might be able to swing out paying nothing

mule

I have to say, mine makes the sound (like Fuhaxian) , but not all the time. Please keep us posted on what this ends up being.

I am so glad you posted this up. It has done it twice, but settled down that last time, and have just been waiting for it to go again.

My rig is a 2012 with about 47K miles on it. Original from factory transmission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeepr13

So why didn't they replace the pilot bearing (~$18 part) when they had everything open down there. That's the time to do it especially when they replaced the TOB twice.

Because dealers can be lazy and this dealer in particular sucks... wish I would have bought the jeep from somewhere else, but didn't find the transmission issues until later. Has been a nightmare.

FallonJeeper

While you're correct, They should replace the pilot bushing/bearing while they are in there. It's cheap insurance. However, it's unlikely your noise is coming from this. The pilot bushingwill rotate at the same speed as the fly wheel, clutch and pressure plate when the clutch is disengaged. I'd suspect , as the other folks, throw out bearing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

I've done a lot of research and every time I think it might be the TOB there's always several posts stating the TOB makes noise with the clutch pressed in. Someone mentioned potentially a pilot bearing. I don't know how the innerworkings of the transmission/clutch work to know enough of what moves and what doesn't move along with what sounds are associated to what entities. Unfortunately I was replacing the slave cylinder and now I have an issue of not being able to bleed it. So there goes my entire week trying to solve this puzzle. I think I might have misplaced the o-ring associated to the hydraulic line so looks like I'll be purchasing a new line just so I can source myself another o-ring.

I love my Jeep but sometimes I feel like it's not worth it or I should have been smarter when purchasing the right Jeep. I have a lot of miles on her from both the previous owner and myself.
I did the same thing with the o ring. Check in your old slave cylinder it's probably stuck in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

madstiles

Also mine makes the same noise though not constant. I replaced the clutch pressure plate tb and pilot bearing which got rid of the grinding noise from the tb but did not fix this noise..... Hope you have better luck. My remedy is to turn up the radio although my wife hates it haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kavanji

sounds like a bolt holding the pressure plate has backed out of the flywheel and is hitting the bellhousing.
the moment you depress the clutch the entire flywheel and crank is pressed forward against the thrust bearing of the engine and the bolt clears the
bellhousing and stops knocking

have this checked ASAP, if that bolt backs out more it will destroy the bellhousing and clutch assembly

robx251

Caught the Bug
sounds like a bolt holding the pressure plate has backed out of the flywheel and is hitting the bellhousing.
the moment you depress the clutch the entire flywheel and crank is pressed forward against the thrust bearing of the engine and the bolt clears the

have this checked ASAP, if that bolt backs out more it will destroy the bellhousing and clutch assembly
I was thinking along those lines too. It sucks but it could cause much more serve damage of not looked into ASAP

Sent from my E6820TM using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Fuhaxian

I was thinking along those lines too. It sucks but it could cause much more serve damage of not looked into ASAP

Sent from my E6820TM using WAYALIFE mobile app

I haven't even thought of this, hopefully the shop will be able to check it out and let me know exactly what the issue is. I do know it's gotten worse since when I first noticed the sound. Hopefully she'll survive until next week.

Thanks!

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I haven't even thought of this, hopefully the shop will be able to check it out and let me know exactly what the issue is. I do know it's gotten worse since when I first noticed the sound. Hopefully she'll survive until next week.

Thanks!

Did you get this checked out and resolved?

'07 JKUR

Top Bottom