Upgrade Brake Kits? Leaning toward ProGrip....Suggestions?

Destroyer

I'm in the market for a Big Break Kit, and I'm curious to hear your suggestions as I've read some mixed reviews about the Dynatrac ProGrip Set-up:

1) Doesn't fit all 17" Wheels.
2) Awful amount of Brake dust, (caking).

I haven't read any complaints with regard to Teraflex or Power Stop Drilled/Slotted kits. Nevertheless, based on my readings I've found that generally the ProGrip stop the Jeep a lot quicker, however I haven't seen a true comparison. Lastly, there's a significant price difference between all three full brake/rotor kits as the Teraflex offers calipers as well.

I've read rinkishjk's write-up and review, and it appears he's pretty satisfied. Any suggestion who I should buy them from if I end up with the ProGrips? I typically use Northridge.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who has experience with other Big Brake Kits.

Cheers! IMG_1003.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I ordered mine straight from Dynatrac. Installing them is a breeze, and the really work! There is a template to check fitment, on Dynatrac's website.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

scull20

Here's another vote for ProGrips. No complaints with brake dust. They fit OEM Rubicon wheels fine with 1.5" spacers.

Do yourself a favor and get a brake spoon to adjust your e-brake to help get the rear rotors off.

Mine were drop shipped from dynatrac after ordering from quadratec.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have the teraflex kit with atx chamber pro IIs. It has worked well for me. 4-5 years and no issues. It was the only big brake kit available 4-5 years ago when I upgraded. I probably would go with the dynatrac kit if I were making the decision today, because it's less expensive and simpler. Among other things, it uses your stock master cylinder and calipers, and doesn't require bleeding the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Destroyer

That's a plus on bleeding the brakes! I'll most likely still do it though as the last time I did mine was approximately 2 something years ago. Stock master cylinder is key! Thank you for your two cents!

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm in the market for a Big Break Kit, and I'm curious to hear your suggestions as I've read some mixed reviews about the Dynatrac ProGrip Set-up:

1) Doesn't fit all 17" Wheels.
2) Awful amount of Brake dust, (caking).

I haven't read any complaints with regard to Teraflex or Power Stop Drilled/Slotted kits. Nevertheless, based on my readings I've found that generally the ProGrip stop the Jeep a lot quicker, however I haven't seen a true comparison. Lastly, there's a significant price difference between all three full brake/rotor kits as the Teraflex offers calipers as well.

I've read rinkishjk's write-up and review, and it appears he's pretty satisfied. Any suggestion who I should buy them from if I end up with the ProGrips? I typically use Northridge.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else who has experience with other Big Brake Kits.

Cheers! View attachment 265537

I can tell you from experience the TF do not fit all 17" wheels either. Some wheels have a thicker inner profile from the center of the wheel to the hub (I have a set that do that - found out after I had swapped out all the brakes to Dynatrac :doh:)

IMO TF are more labor intensive. while it's relatively easy to remove the caliper, getting a proper bleed is a pain in the ass. Jeep also used different master cylinders over the years, if you it turns out you don't have the proper master cylinder for the big bore TF calipers, you're stuck dishing out another $210. When you stop, the fronts are doing all the work. they will stop you quicker but when loaded down you will notice the difference from front to rear so you'll likely end up buying their rear big brake kit. it's a larger rotor with brackets similar to ProGrips - total you're in about $1400 - not sure if the front brake pads are factory style #'s

I ran the PowerStop Drilled/slotted and they were a big improvement over stock with my 35's - hauling a trailer and stopping became less of an adventure!
once I put the 37's on with beadlocks, stopping became an adventure again not as bad on the flat but on steep declines on the trial they tended to fade fast. Seat pucker was an understatement.

The Dynatrac ProGrip are easy to install and no bleeding required unless you're also extending your brake lines. The pads they come with do put out a lot of dust but I've found the Wagner OEx to provide the same excellent stopping power with very little brake dust - jeep factory replacement size pads makes it easy.

I can tell you the stopping power of all braking corners being equal stops fast and flat. I can drive my 2015 stock jeep and then get in my 2010 37's, and heavy and I don't change need to change my braking style.

best part for me, if my daughter is driving my Jeep I don't worry about having to warn her how far in advance she needs to start braking. she can drive it the same manner as the 2015 with no worries.

My jeep is heavy and when I'm on a trip with tools and all the crap I carry the ProGrips are great.

A friend of mine recently swapped out his TF kit after he drove my Jeep, he was on the fence on buying the master cylinder/rear kit but went ProGrips instead.

jeeeep

Hooked
How can there be more brake dust and caking if it's the OEM pad?

the pads the ProGrips come with I think are a higher friction pad that gives it the bite in all conditions but they put out more dust - I've found the Wagner OEx to do the same with less dust

Top Bottom