July 15. Denver Crew, Red Cone is open! Let's Go!

boardsurfer

Red Cone, Saturday July 15. We are leaving at 9am sharp. CB channel 4 if you are running late. If we can do that and keep a tidy air-down, we should be able to keep our group together.

Our meetup spot will be the dirt lot next to The Fort restaurant:
Capture.jpg

A local Jeep club has spent the last 2 days shoveling their way through the snow drifts and have declared the trail open as of today. :rock:

They also report that the snow cornice on the Webster pass side is still impassable, so we will have to exit towards Montezuma which means I70 back to the city. (yuck). Side note: I highly doubt Radical Hill is ready.

If you have not done Red Cone before, I highly recommend it. It is easily my favorite trail in the state - for the views, this isnt a rock crawling adventure. This trail should be doable in a stock Rubicon, although you may bang your skids in a spot or two. There are a few places that have deteriorated a little bit over the last few years, so with the trail being fresh, I'm not sure what to expect.

So who's in? :beer:

In:

1. boardsurfer
2. anvilJK - Chickened out.
3. WJCO
4. The Wolf
5. Slimebones
6. Kyle7R
7. OneTonJK
8. H8ROADS
9. Bierpower
10. GoldenJK

Maybe

1. bigcale

Last edited:

Kyle7R

Traildamage has this one as a 4 on the easy side, and 7 at the hardest.

Think I'd be good in my Rubi?

We're interested in joining.

Edit - just pulled my head out of my ass and reread the first post, we're in.

WJCO

Meme King
So I signed up for this prior to researching the trail. I need to convince my wife that this hill is no big deal. On something like this, what is the best way to descend? Just low 1 or lockers on? Never done anything quite this steep for that length of trail. Especially with loose rocks.

IMG_20170627_210443_342.jpg

Clutch

Caught the Bug
So I signed up for this prior to researching the trail. I need to convince my wife that this hill is no big deal. On something like this, what is the best way to descend? Just low 1 or lockers on? Never done anything quite this steep for that length of trail. Especially with loose rocks.

View attachment 265738

My guess would be 1 lo. I don't think lockers help with braking, but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Yeah, and if it starts to go off the side a bit, don't slam on the brakes. Give it a little gas and steer back up on the trail.

At least, that's what I've been told.

boardsurfer

I was more thinking the lockers tracking the jeep straight. I have heard they can help jeep from sliding downhill also, but I don't know if that is accurate.

There is some pucker involved, but it isnt quite as bad as that pic makes it look. 1st gear, 4-lo, let the engine do the work. Light on the brakes as necessary. If you start to slip, light on the gas to bring it back in line. The surface of the trail there looks like you could slide around, but I never have.

WJCO

Meme King
There is some pucker involved, but it isnt quite as bad as that pic makes it look. 1st gear, 4-lo, let the engine do the work. Light on the brakes as necessary. If you start to slip, light on the gas to bring it back in line. The surface of the trail there looks like you could slide around, but I never have.

Thanks for the info. I just watched a few videos, videos look way calmer than that pic I posted, thanks for the confirmation and the tips. However looking at the rocks at the beginning portion of the trail, we'll likely just take my Jeep. We have no lift on the JK, and although we have skids, I know my wife won't be comfortable with those rocks.

boardsurfer

Thanks for the info. I just watched a few videos, videos look way calmer than that pic I posted, thanks for the confirmation and the tips. However looking at the rocks at the beginning portion of the trail, we'll likely just take my Jeep. We have no lift on the JK, and although we have skids, I know my wife won't be comfortable with those rocks.

Does that mean you'll be driving the pink jeep? :clap2:

edit: your Jeep. Bah, already took my contacts out. cant see shit.

Last edited:

Slimebones

X2 what Boardsurfer said. That pic does not portray what it actually is like. Steep yes, but not as off camber as it looks.

Top Bottom