Hate to hear things like this

WJCO

Meme King
I had a family friend die this exact same way. Really sad. Don't drink and drive and wear your seatbelt.

Honestly i'm not surprised by this these ignorant idiots they are up there all the time and putting fellow wheelers at risk and danger, we just wen't up to are property that is next to the rubicon and these dirt bags left behind there mess including broken bottels, trash and humman waste on are property we have since put cameras up and new signs and looking into some other things as-well. I will say this again but never seems to get across to people haul your shit out that u bring and don't destroy the beautiful nature and resources that we have the luxury to use and explore.

holliewood61

Im as guilty as anyone of having a drink out on the trail, but for God's sake keep it within reason. If someone wants to really get into the bottle, the trail isnt the place.

I go to rush ky every year to watch the southern rock racing series. It is a huge party on friday night every year, and it seems like they fly someone out every year because they cant keep it at camp.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
This is the exact reason they are closing sand Lake here in Oregon. Too many drunk idiots started showing up so the good people started coming less and it filled up with more idiots. It really is a shame when you see a huge public land area that you grew up riding quads on, shut down because people can't make smart decisions.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow, save it for camp and Be safe out on the trails. As mentioned stuff like this puts another mark on "our" rap sheet and gives them reasons to shut places down.

RedPool

We had one about a week ago. Some kids came to Florida from Georgia. They were running no doors in a JKU, curvy road and no seat belts. The passenger leaned out and fell. The news is claiming no alcohol involved. Either way, it never looks good for the rest of us who run our Jeeps naked.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Brutal... Sorry for the family & friends who lost a loved one. Hurts real bad when it hits close to home. It's easy to do stupid shit when your having a good time with your buds.... Gotta be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Ive wheeled with people who really like the bottle on the trail... they had their kids in the jeep and everything. :eek: :grayno:

I always have, and always will save it for camp. :crazyeyes:

Sad to see something like this happen, but it's modern day natural selection. I find it interesting that the area was so remote, and yet, they are still able to charge him with a DUI. I guess that is the "downside" of public land (if there is a downside)

Here in Texas, all the land is private, so LEGALLY someone can drink as much as they want while operating their vehicle on private land (EVERY trail in Texas), the worst LEGAL thing that can happen is the property personnel call the authorities, wait until the officers arrive at the property entrance, then ask the intoxicated driver to leave. So long as someone sober drives the vehicle out of the park and onto public land, the authorities cant do anything about it... which is a double edged sword IMO... I just wish people as a whole were more inclined to their own responsibilities...

//: end, Rant; /n

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Rubicon Trail is technically an Eldorado County Route. This is one of the reasons why it typically stays open all year long even though all the surrounding National Forest Trails get closed for the winter. It is also the reason why Eldorado County has 2 Sheriff Jeeps built up so that they can patrol it and give DUI's. As some of you may or may not recall, a gal died on the Rubicon about 5 years ago during the Jeeperz Jamboree when she rolled on Cadillac Hill and it caught fire. I believe alcohol was a factor then as well but then, the whole Jeeperz Jamboree is one big drunken orgy. Oh, the stupid shit I've seen on the Rubicon Trail - it's enough to keep me off of it during weekends and peek seasons.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
In my work I have spoken to a lot of families who have lost someone close due to the actions of a impaired/drunk driver. There is no excuse EVER to drink while driving. No matter what level of alcohol you have in your system, you are impaired, period. And "having a few" while behind the wheel is never acceptable. When I hear about some groups drinking at stops along the route, I cringe. If I ever see that happen within a group I might happen to be driving with, I will leave without a word. If I happen to be leading a run, I will ask them to leave.

Luckily my Rubicon run was with very responsible adults who understand the dangers of drinking and driving. I was lucky to be invited and hope that I never see drinking while driving on the trails. So far so good.

And if this isn't proof that wearing your seatbelt can save your life, I don't what is. Pretty simple equation here: Of the two occupants in the vehicle, the one wearing the seatbelt lived.

Be safe out there folks.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I use to wheel on some private land a "buddy" owned. I drank my fair share while wheeling but never enough to get drunk. Some of those guys did though and something always happened. Luckily, most of the carnage was to vehicles. One day, I said something about everybody trailering their rigs to some other places (most rigs weren't street legal) and go wheeling for a weekend. That "buddy" said "we can't even master everything out here, why would we go elsewhere?" I said, "think that's because you all drink too much and get that liquid courage not knowing when to quit?" He didn't reply.

We slowly stopped going out there and then he and I got into it so we quit all together. I miss having some decent wheeling that close but don't miss most of the people there, all of their drama, etc.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The Rubicon Trail is technically an Eldorado County Route. This is one of the reasons why it typically stays open all year long even though all the surrounding National Forest Trails get closed for the winter. It is also the reason why Eldorado County has 2 Sheriff Jeeps built up so that they can patrol it and give DUI's. As some of you may or may not recall, a gal died on the Rubicon about 5 years ago during the Jeeperz Jamboree when she rolled on Cadillac Hill and it caught fire. I believe alcohol was a factor then as well but then, the whole Jeeperz Jamboree is one big drunken orgy. Oh, the stupid shit I've seen on the Rubicon Trail - it's enough to keep me off of it during weekends and peek seasons.

Lots of people = lots of stupidity

Top Bottom