ARB Air Lockers - Whats needed?

Finn Sizzle

I'll be installing axles with the ARB Air lockers (already installed in the housing), but what else is needed for operation? I have run E lockers on my rigs in the past, simple setup, however I am not sure all of the components that would be needed to operate the Air Lockers. Here is my thought process with the air locker setup:

• Air compressor - I have also ordered the ARB-CKMA12 single compressor that I'll use just for the air lockers. What I have read on what it comes with, its just the compressor, manual and that's it.*
  • Air Lines - I have to guess that the air lines needed to hookup from the compressor to each axle do not come with either the axles or the compressor. I'll need to order at least 2 and I'm guessing at varying lengths to run to each axle. I have seen Nylon, Stainless Steel, Steel Braided, etc..I'm assuming that I'll need to route the lines and leave some slack for axle travel, but how much is needed for the right setup. (Example:*store.arbusa.com/ARB-AIRLINE-SERVICE-KIT-ASK001-P22075.aspx). Is there a standard length and run for the cables to each axle that people have run?
  • Coupler(s) - I'm assuming as well that I'll need couplers that will be installed in each axle and then the connection to the ARB compressor. Does anyone know what couplers are needed?
  • Operation - I was thinking that I would use my sPOD to engage each locker as needed, however how would I tell it to engage just the rear locker or the front or is this not possible? I found this cable from sPOD (https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...0-arb-spod-adapter-harness-for-arb-compressor) and it reads "You can also control the front and rear lockers", I'm guessing this allows the split for operation individually. Anyone know?

Am I missing something? Any feedback/direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
I'll be installing axles with the ARB Air lockers (already installed in the housing), but what else is needed for operation? I have run E lockers on my rigs in the past, simple setup, however I am not sure all of the components that would be needed to operate the Air Lockers. Here is my thought process with the air locker setup:

• Air compressor - I have also ordered the ARB-CKMA12 single compressor that I'll use just for the air lockers. What I have read on what it comes with, its just the compressor, manual and that's it.*
  • Air Lines - I have to guess that the air lines needed to hookup from the compressor to each axle do not come with either the axles or the compressor. I'll need to order at least 2 and I'm guessing at varying lengths to run to each axle. I have seen Nylon, Stainless Steel, Steel Braided, etc..I'm assuming that I'll need to route the lines and leave some slack for axle travel, but how much is needed for the right setup. (Example:*store.arbusa.com/ARB-AIRLINE-SERVICE-KIT-ASK001-P22075.aspx). Is there a standard length and run for the cables to each axle that people have run?
  • Coupler(s) - I'm assuming as well that I'll need couplers that will be installed in each axle and then the connection to the ARB compressor. Does anyone know what couplers are needed?
  • Operation - I was thinking that I would use my sPOD to engage each locker as needed, however how would I tell it to engage just the rear locker or the front or is this not possible? I found this cable from sPOD (https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...0-arb-spod-adapter-harness-for-arb-compressor) and it reads "You can also control the front and rear lockers", I'm guessing this allows the split for operation individually. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Are you getting the axles used? If they're new, the lockers in the axle will come with the box of everything you need including the solenoid, the switch, and the line. If they're used, the axle will still have the bulkhead fitting to connect your air line to.

The compressor will come with the main isolation (on/off) switch. Luckily, that compressor you ordered will come with the air manifold attached. You will have to screw your locker solenoids into there.

If your axles come with the blue plastic lines, might as well use them, if not you might as well buy steel ones now. As far as routing them, you need to let your axle fully droop to determine the slack needed. If you run the line attached to your differential breather hose, it will usually be sufficient.

As far as turning everything on, the lockers have switches, so you might as well use those. If you decide to run a switch box, I wouldn't recommend Spod just because of how shitty they treated the forum here:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/15125-sPOD-Honesty-Integrity-and-the-Lack-Thereof

As far as a visual, I'll try to take some pictures of my setup in a minute just so you can see what it looks like.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Thanks!

You will need to use the manifold (included with your compressor) to attach you solenoids to and a solenoid for each locker, each solenoid needs an air line ran to the respective locker, a switch and power. That's about it. If you want the traction control system to recongnize when you are locked, you will need to tap into the factory locker switch harness to send the signal, if you don't have a Rubicon model, you can use the purple wire mod to kill the signal wire to the traction control system under the arm rest and it will just shut eveything down (ABS included, so use with discretion)

Finn Sizzle

Are you getting the axles used? If they're new, the lockers in the axle will come with the box of everything you need including the solenoid, the switch, and the line. If they're used, the axle will still have the bulkhead fitting to connect your air line to.

The compressor will come with the main isolation (on/off) switch. Luckily, that compressor you ordered will come with the air manifold attached. You will have to screw your locker solenoids into there.

If your axles come with the blue plastic lines, might as well use them, if not you might as well buy steel ones now. As far as routing them, you need to let your axle fully droop to determine the slack needed. If you run the line attached to your differential breather hose, it will usually be sufficient.

As far as turning everything on, the lockers have switches, so you might as well use those. If you decide to run a switch box, I wouldn't recommend Spod just because of how shitty they treated the forum here:
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/15125-sPOD-Honesty-Integrity-and-the-Lack-Thereof

As far as a visual, I'll try to take some pictures of my setup in a minute just so you can see what it looks like.

Yes, buying the axles new. The Dynatrac HC ProRock 60/60. So when received it will include all of the components that come with the ARB Air lockers then? I'll confirm that with Dynatrac. Without having everything in hand yet, I was not sure what else I needed to get the lockers operational.

Yes, if you have pics that would be great.

Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Solenoids will come with the lockers on new axle and install into manifold. Your manifold will be part of the compressor.

DSC05733.jpg

Locker switches will come with lockers on a new axle as well.

DSC05734.jpg

ARB bulkhead fittings. All needed fittings come with lockers in new axle. Most of the fitting will already be installed on the axle.

DSC05742.jpg

DSC05741.JPG

As far as slack and line length, you will have to determine that. As you can see here, I routed it along my breather tube in the front:

DSC05743.jpg

ARB has two types of bulkhead fittings. Almost everything in the last year or so will be the new style. If you have questions about that, contact them. ARB has awesome customer service and responds quickly.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Yes, buying the axles new. The Dynatrac HC ProRock 60/60. So when received it will include all of the components that come with the ARB Air lockers then? I'll confirm that with Dynatrac. Without having everything in hand yet, I was not sure what else I needed to get the lockers operational.

Thanks!

In your axle crates, there will be a 'pizza box.' It will have your lines, switches, solenoids, fittings, and instructions in there. ARB also supplies some zip ties. The only thing that you may have to do is extend the wiring between your locker switch and the solenoid depending on your mounting locations, just use the same gauge wiring.

DSC04264.jpg

Last edited:

tgoss

Thanks!

Yep, your HC axles will be set up with arb's installed and bulkhead fittings already plumbed ready for air lines. You will be supplied 2 locker solenoids and all the blue shit line you'll need for install.

The CMKA12 will already have the manifold tapped for the solenoids.

Finn Sizzle

Thanks!

Awesome information from everyone, thanks folks! This sets my mind at ease now knowing that everything will be included for the setup. Now....just gotta wait for the axles to arrive :)

Deacon

Thanks for this thread

I also have been reading ahead for my axle install late August early September.

Few more questions, what under hood mount are you guys using for the CKMA12 , have a 16 JKUR ?

Also, I have an SPOD that i installed a year ago and most likely will install a Switch Pro 8100 in my left A pillar. Wanting to install the main power for the compressor to the spod and the locker switches to the switch pro. Is the pig tail that both switch pro and spod used just for lockers ? In other words shouldn't this be a simple install?

WJCO

Meme King
I also have been reading ahead for my axle install late August early September.

Few more questions, what under hood mount are you guys using for the CKMA12 , have a 16 JKUR ?

We used the synergy mount on our JK for that compressor. We have a 2011 3.8L though. Easy install.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The EVO mount is pretty clean. There are pics on the forum.

Edit: I found a link.
Something I've always wanted in a Jeep but have always been a little leery of getting was on-board air. Simply b/c of the amount of space a full compressor takes up and the added weight. Lucky for me (not so much for my wallet!) I found an ARB High Output compressor kit from NorthRidge4x4. This little compressor fits under my hood in some dead space and has no problem airing up tires (only 32's for now) and possibly filling up a small tank for some air tools. But really, I only plan to use it for tires after trails since I don't even own any air tools at the moment.

I was just about to do a full write of my on-board air compressor install on this build thread, but @WayOfLife beat me to it. My bracket is a little different as it sits back against the firewall while his is perpendicular to mine. I had to relocate the horn and wired it to my sPod instead of the supplied switch, but everything else is pretty much the same. Here it is installed in all its on-board air goodness!
View attachment 33679

@Wayoflife's ARB High Output On-Board Air Compressor Under the Hood JK Installation Write-Up

The only complaint I have isn't about the product, which works very well, it's in my install. I drilled a new hole in the bracket when I had to move my horn and now I believe it's not grounding out properly. Nothing a metal file and some patience won't fix tho!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom