Info regarding 3.5" lift and 35" tires.

anthony_jk

Come spring, i want to do some work on my jk.
Primarily a 3.5"- 4" lift and a 1.25" body lift (Rough Country) and 16" ATX artillery wheels (SICK!!!:D) with 35" BF Goodrinch Mud and Off-Road tires.

Now i read on many forums and countless threads that it is almost a must for me to regear my jeep. However, when i brought this up to the dealer, the guy said that they have been doing similar lifts and mods and have never regeared any of them without any problems.

Needless to say i was shocked when i heard this considering the fact that i am capable of doing the lift at my buddy's garage and don't need to play with the complicated work of regearing. However i don't want to do anything half assed. So if regearing is necessary i will find someone who does it.

BTW, any thoughts on what I'm doing???:D

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You are wanting to do 4" suspension and 1.25" body? That is way to much lift for 35's.

Second what year is your Jeep? What gears do you have now? Do you plan to go bigger tires in the future?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Come spring, i want to do some work on my jk.
Primarily a 3.5"- 4" lift and a 1.25" body lift (Rough Country) and 16" ATX artillery wheels (SICK!!!:D) with 35" BF Goodrinch Mud and Off-Road tires.

Now i read on many forums and countless threads that it is almost a must for me to regear my jeep. However, when i brought this up to the dealer, the guy said that they have been doing similar lifts and mods and have never regeared any of them without any problems.

Needless to say i was shocked when i heard this considering the fact that i am capable of doing the lift at my buddy's garage and don't need to play with the complicated work of regearing. However i don't want to do anything half assed. So if regearing is necessary i will find someone who does it.

BTW, any thoughts on what I'm doing???:D

First off, I should tell you that 3.5"-4" of lift + a 1.25" body lift is A LOT of lift and way too much for just 35" tires. Seriously, you can practically run 35's with just trimmed factory flares alone. I would highly recommend that you reconsider this and go for something more center of gravity friendly like a 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift or just a 3" lift. This will keep you more stable on the trail and perform much better.

Regarding gears, so long as you have at least 3.73 or 4.10 gears and make sure to recalibrate your speedo (assuming you have an auto), you can live without regearing. However, the power loss you'll see is real and the only way to regain it is to regear to at least 4.88. That'll bring you back up to about stock performance.

ltdanlj

I would also consider steering away from 16" wheels- Their really isn't a lot of variety in a 16" wheel, compared to 17"s.....

bl17z90

I personally have never been a fan of body lifts on anything. I have never found one that I find attractive. Only advantage is they are very cost effective.

anthony_jk

You are wanting to do 4" suspension and 1.25" body? That is way to much lift for 35's.

Second what year is your Jeep? What gears do you have now? Do you plan to go bigger tires in the future?

My jeep is a 2011 jk sahara unlimited.

My current gear ratio is 3.73

Yes i do eventually want to go bigger but not anytime soon.

anthony_jk

First off, I should tell you that 3.5"-4" of lift + a 1.25" body lift is A LOT of lift and way too much for just 35" tires. Seriously, you can practically run 35's with just trimmed factory flares alone. I would highly recommend that you reconsider this and go for something more center of gravity friendly like a 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift or just a 3" lift. This will keep you more stable on the trail and perform much better.

Regarding gears, so long as you have at least 3.73 or 4.10 gears and make sure to recalibrate your speedo (assuming you have an auto), you can live without regearing. However, the power loss you'll see is real and the only way to regain it is to regear to at least 4.88. That'll bring you back up to about stock performance.

In your opinion, am i better off going with 17s on 37s and forgetting about the body lift (only a 3.5" or 4" lift)?

Yes my current gear ratio is 3.73 but my jk is manual and i honestly do not want to lose my 6th gear.
Your thoughts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In your opinion, am i better off going with 17s on 37s and forgetting about the body lift (only a 3.5" or 4" lift)?

Yes my current gear ratio is 3.73 but my jk is manual and i honestly do not want to lose my 6th gear.
Your thoughts?

Yes, I would go with 17" wheels with your 37's and only go 3.5"-4" of lift with trimmed fenders or flat fenders to clear your tires. That is a good stable setup and one that I run now.

Even with a manual, you really should regear if you choose to run 37's. 5.13's is a good ratio to run.

anthony_jk

Yes, I would go with 17" wheels with your 37's and only go 3.5"-4" of lift with trimmed fenders or flat fenders to clear your tires. That is a good stable setup and one that I run now.

Even with a manual, you really should regear if you choose to run 37's. 5.13's is a good ratio to run.

what do you think if i get the regearing done at my buddys garage? is it really as hard as people are saying it is? hes a good mechanic, and understands what needs to be done but hasn't physically done one, he has only watched others do it... :s

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
what do you think if i get the regearing done at my buddys garage? is it really as hard as people are saying it is? hes a good mechanic, and understands what needs to be done but hasn't physically done one, he has only watched others do it... :s

So long as he knows what needs to be done and has the tools to do it right, I don't see any reason why he couldn't do it. If you have a Rubicon, getting the locker re-installed correctly can be tricky and a lot of inexperienced shops screw this up.

anthony_jk

So long as he knows what needs to be done and has the tools to do it right, I don't see any reason why he couldn't do it. If you have a Rubicon, getting the locker re-installed correctly can be tricky and a lot of inexperienced shops screw this up.

I have a sahara unlimited.

Is there a write up for the regearing anywhere?

If not would it be possible for you to quickly give ME an idea of what needs to be done?

I would really appreciate it.

Dixon4x4

Re-gearing is not that hard if you have the time and patience. If you have never done it before and not afraid of trying. I would recommend pulling the axles completely out and putting them on a bench if you are inexperienced. Takes a little more time, but a lot easier for a beginner. When I did mine I pulled them out to drill holes for installing lockers and had the complete job done in just over a day.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom