Metalcloak vs stock fenders

Jranso04

I know there is probably hundreds of threads on this but I want to hear some personal opinions on this. I'm not sure if I want to get metalcloaks or keep stock fenders. I'm probably going to go with 33s and a 3 inch lift maybe eventually 35s. Any pictures and opinions are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I know there is probably hundreds of threads on this but I want to hear some personal opinions on this. I'm not sure if I want to get metalcloaks or keep stock fenders. I'm probably going to go with 33s and a 3 inch lift maybe eventually 35s. Any pictures and opinions are welcome.

The first thing I would say is that 3 inches of lift is some serious height just to run 33's. Add flatties to the mix and you are going to be seriously rocking the roller skate look. In my opinion, I'd save your money and not get the fenders. Then, if you end up going 35's and can't address the minor rubbing you might get with a 3" lift, you can go down the road of buying flatties (or even cutting the OEM fenders).

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, I think the Metalcloak fenders look like ass. Nothing about them complements the body of the Jeep. If you're set on getting metal fenders, I might recommend something like Poison Spyder, Crawler Concepts or EVO. That being said, hard fenders WILL cause body damage if you hit them in the just right way. Trimmed factory fenders are FREE and they will bend, flex, fold and even tear off well before they do any body damage. In spite of the fact that I can afford to run whatever I want, trimmed factory fenders is what I prefer for this reason.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The first thing I would say is that 3 inches of lift is some serious height just to run 33's. Add flatties to the mix and you are going to be seriously rocking the roller skate look. In my opinion, I'd save your money and not get the fenders. Then, if you end up going 35's and can't address the minor rubbing you might get with a 3" lift, you can go down the road of buying flatties (or even cutting the OEM fenders.

This ^^^^^^^

jagrubb99

Personally, I think the Metalcloak fenders look like ass. Nothing about them complements the body of the Jeep. If you're set on getting metal fenders, I might recommend something like Poison Spyder, Crawler Concepts or EVO. That being said, hard fenders WILL cause body damage if you hit them in the just right way. Trimmed factory fenders are FREE and they will bend, flex, fold and even tear off well before they do any body damage. In spite of the fact that I can afford to run whatever I want, trimmed factory fenders is what I prefer for this reason.
Would this still apply to the TJ? Serious question, as i thought a lot of the fender on those Jeeps, at least on the front were metal with only the outer portion plastic?

Jranso04

The first thing I would say is that 3 inches of lift is some serious height just to run 33's. Add flatties to the mix and you are going to be seriously rocking the roller skate look. In my opinion, I'd save your money and not get the fenders. Then, if you end up going 35's and can't address the minor rubbing you might get with a 3" lift, you can go down the road of buying flatties (or even cutting the OEM fenders).

You really think 3 inches is too big for 33s? I think it fits that lift size pretty well. That's just my personal opinion. If I didn't have enough lift I'd be scraping my 33s on my fender wells over speed bumps.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would this still apply to the TJ? Serious question, as i thought a lot of the fender on those Jeeps, at least on the front were metal with only the outer portion plastic?

Sorry, missed the sub-forum this was posted in. TJ's are a totally different animal and they'll hold up to the abuse. That being said, I still think the Metalcloak fenders look like ass on them too. Of course, that's just my subjective opinion.

Also, 3" of lift to clear 33's on a TJ is about right. Again, sorry for missing the TJ part the first time around.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
You really think 3 inches is too big for 33s? I think it fits that lift size pretty well. That's just my personal opinion. If I didn't have enough lift I'd be scraping my 33s on my fender wells over speed bumps.

A 3" lift would be good for 35's not 33's.

Edit: with cut fenders you could get 37's in there too

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

For perspective, I run 40" tires with about 3.5" of lift. You can practically run 33" tires stock and easily with a leveling kit. Of course, it's your Jeep and if you like the skinny jeans look, you should do what you want with it. :yup:

6.4 Hemi JK

In my opinion trimmed factory fenders look like SHIT!! They look like a botched boob job at the strip club !
Metalcloak are American made and give you lots of clearance !!
Again my opinion ...

jmedgar

I have a 2.5 inch lift on 33s with stock uncut fenders and the tires look small and kinda rollerskatey. At full stuff I still have room to spare. I'd save the money you'd spend on fenders and get 35s faster! Also agree on the look. They don't match the jk lines and look like a dog with his head out of the car window on the highway. 3AC47264-F373-4A94-9678-E86BC56D7921-8687-0000092425E526C4.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion trimmed factory fenders look like SHIT!! They look like a botched boob job at the strip club !
Metalcloak are American made and give you lots of clearance !!
Again my opinion ...

:cheesy: If anything, trimmed factory fenders are more like a "breast reduction" that costs nothing. This, as opposed to the nasty ass Metalcloak fenders that cost as much as a botched boob job and truly look like it on the smooth lines of a JK body. But then, that's just my opinion and really, to each their own. :yup:

main.php

main.php

main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a 2.5 inch lift on 33s with stock uncut fenders and the tires look small and kinda rollerskatey. At full stuff I still have room to spare. I'd save the money you'd spend on fenders and get 35s faster! Also agree on the look. They don't match the jk lines and look like a dog with his head out of the car window on the highway. View attachment 265844

:cheesy: That's awesome :cheesy:

benatc1

Hooked
Personally, I wouldn't say I hate the Metalcloak fenders however I don't see the point in buying fenders when you can pretty much cut your stock ones to whatever you like and then put the hundreds of dollars elsewhere on your jeep. I guess there may come a point when you have all the mods and $ burning a hole in your pocket though..

6.4 Hemi JK

:cheesy: If anything, trimmed factory fenders are more like a "breast reduction" that costs nothing. This, as opposed to the nasty ass Metalcloak fenders that cost as much as a botched boob job and truly look like it on the smooth lines of a JK body. But then, that's just my opinion and really, to each their own. :yup:

I'm having a few drinks so I'll give you this one just so I can enjoy another drink....

mo0s3

If you did a 3 " lift and added metalcloak with 33's you will be quickly selling the 33's to go to 35's and then you will still look funny and you will sale the 35's for 37's LOL . Just trim the stocks until you get everything you want !

Also I think Metalcloak states if you run their fenders you can stuff a 35 under there with no lift. Cant say that I would try but hey shrug

jagrubb99

Sorry, missed the sub-forum this was posted in. TJ's are a totally different animal and they'll hold up to the abuse. That being said, I still think the Metalcloak fenders look like ass on them too. Of course, that's just my subjective opinion.

Also, 3" of lift to clear 33's on a TJ is about right. Again, sorry for missing the TJ part the first time around.
Oh believe me, I'm with you on the ugly part.

Top Bottom