Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Synthetic vs. Steel Winch Line

Quote Originally Posted by sm31 View Post
    Well, if it passes the Fairbanks test then it'll probably work on Mars! I wanted to go synthetic but I just wanted to make sure I had my bases covered. Now if I can just get my friend to sell me his used 8274...

PS: I was privileged to catch an Ice Dogs game when I was up there in January. Bar none, the best sporting event I have ever been to in my life!!
    Nothing but good times at Dogs game!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I just learned something really interesting about synthetic line yesterday.

Found a really good local resource for off-road knowledge and equipment and synthetic line came up in the conversation. He's an old commercial fisherman (lots of those around here)... said synthetic line was actually developed for pulling crab pots out of the ocean in the Bering Straits, and that it has been "adopted" by the off-road scene. However, the real development and basis for it continues to be the fishing industry.

I no longer have any concerns over the effects of water and/or ice on synthetic line.

Synthetic doesn’t hold up to high heat/flame but it seems better than steel for just about any purpose other than pulling vehicles through fires.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Woot!!! Scored the 8274! And he threw in synthetic line for good measure. Now to figure out how to keep this weird shaped thing covered in winter without breaking the bank on a Warn "just steal me now" cover...

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    Woot!!! Scored the 8274! And he threw in synthetic line for good measure. Now to figure out how to keep this weird shaped thing covered in winter without breaking the bank on a Warn "just steal me now" cover...
    nice. 8274s are bad ass.

for the steel vs synthetic game, these Aussies did some testing on what happens when winch lines snap. it's 20 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XqNX3yFTk

but, the short of it is that both synthetic and steel are dangerous when they snap. but, steel is way, way, way more dangerous. also, those weighted winch blankets don't seem to do anything especially with steel.

Synthetic all day every day.

Nice score! Let’s see pics!

Quote Originally Posted by pop2tu View Post
    Nice score! Let’s see pics!

Yessir!! I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll take some shots. It's a little bit "weathered" but I scored it (and the line, with thimble!!) for $500. May have to replace the solenoid but other than that it's perfectly functional.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456