back country communications

what do you guys have for emergency communications when secluded from the rest of the world? ham radios, satellite phones, brands models? Feel I'm decently prepared to be stranded in the middle of no where for a week, but if there was ever a medical emergency and need communication I should have something to at least attempt to get help. thanks for the input, i'm a newb when it comes to anything other then a cb so feel free to give me the low down.

gouacats

You might consider a Spot device. I don't have one, but I understand that it is tracked by GPS, has an emergency beacon and you can send texts. Fairly reasonably priced for the protection. Someone, please pipe up if I'm wrong with the above info.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
You might consider a Spot device. I don't have one, but I understand that it is tracked by GPS, has an emergency beacon and you can send texts. Fairly reasonably priced for the protection. Someone, please pipe up if I'm wrong with the above info.

Yes sir. That's the best bet second of course to a Sat Phone. Both CB and HAM rely on two way capabilities and when you're out if range, you're out of luck. I've seen the SPOT work on a space capsule not long ago. It had a long battery life and sent its GPS coordinates very accurately over the course if two weeks.

Rock Lobster JKU

I have used the spot while sailing across the Gulf from Kemah, Tx to Key West. Had a few small hiccups with weather but otherwise a great investment. 98 out of 100!!!

FrankenJeeper

My group always has CB's, but were rarely too far away from civilization. We have considered renting a satellite phone when we go far off though. Anyone have any input on a satellite phone?

TrailBear

It's basically the same as the spot device, can't remover what they call it but the one that uses you smart phone, I have the spot 2 that has 5 canned messages programmed in or the SOS that goes to search and rescue, it's very basic and cheap insurance. Spot uses globstar sats same as most sat phones, I find the phones unreliable up here, but my spot has worked everytime. Delormae uses iridium sats same as the iridium sat phones used by the military, they tend to be more reliable due to newer sats, when we had issues with the globstar phone we were told they had not put up any new sats and had lost a few.

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RodCyn

I keep a sat phone (GlobalStar) with me whether I'm on my bike (Harley) or Jeep. You never can be too safe. I've had this for many years and while a few years ago there was spotty service, as someone has already pointed out, since the deployment of replacement sats, its now about 80-90% efficient.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

TheDuff

What are my additional subscription costs/charges?
There is a one-time activation charge of $19.95. In addition, you need to choose a subscription plan that best fits your needs. You can also move up and down between the plans based on their seasonal activity. There is no charge for moving to a higher-priced plan, but there is a $24.95 charge for moving down.

Safety Plan Recreation Plan Expedition Plan
Annual (12 Months) $9.95 Monthly $24.95 Monthly $49.95 Monthly
Seasonal (4-month minimum) >N/A $39.95 Monthly $64.95 Monthly
SOS Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited
Predefined Messages from inReach 10 per month shared with Messages Unlimited Unlimited
Messages 10 per month shared with Predefined Messages 40 per month 120 per month
Tracking Not Included Unlimited Unlimited
Overage $1.50 per message $0.50 per message $0.25 per message
$0.25 track

Its not free sadly

Top Bottom