Anyone Else Losing Their Health Care in 2018?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just got an email from my health care provider, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield that they will no longer offer their Affordable Care Act (ACA) individual health plans in Nevada starting January 1, 2018. Apparently, "uncertainty in the health insurance market does not provide the clarity and confidence they need to offer affordable coverage to their members" and so, Cindy and I are shit out of luck being that we're self-employed. According to our local news channel, KTVN, the Silver State Health Insurance Exchange which Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield was a part of, "will only offer coverage to Clark, Washoe, and Nye counties beginning in 2018". Obviously, this is a political matter especially being that the senate is trying to pass a new health care bill but if at all possible, I would prefer to keep politics out of this discussion. What I'm wanting to know is if there's anyone else on here who has lost or will be losing their health coverage in the near future and if so, what are you doing or what will you do? Just trying to plan for the future. Thanks.

Untitled-1.jpg

GraniteCrystal

In a similar position. Had insurance thru my wife's job but she just went to one day a week so we don't qualify for it anymore. I'm self-employed.

We were going to do Medishare. Christian based cost sharing program. Probably will do that in 2018. Turns out that for her job, she can stay on their insurance for 6 months afterward and continue to pay our same premiums. She's already met her deductible for the year, so we're doing that.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for chiming in. I guess I'll have to look into something like that. Never wanted to give up the Kaiser plan I had in California for over 25 years but they weren't offered here in Nevada. Of course, nothing will be offered in my county now. :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's gotten pretty crazy. Lots of people have only one choice or no choice at all.

It really is frustrating and it especially sucks if you're self-employed. I can't say if the new bill the senate is trying to pass would be any good but it might be better than what I'll be getting in 2018 - a BIG FAT NOTHING. Of course, our 2 senators, one of which is Republican, will not be voting for it.

And I did a lot of research on Medishare so let me know if you have questions.

Thanks, I may take you up on it :thumb:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I feel your pain. Obamacare resulted in a 100% increase in my premiums since I own my own business. The solution for us? I cancelled our insurance and my wife got a part-time job at Wells Fargo. She gets benefits for the entire family and it costs less than what we were paying before Obamacare.

JKbrick

Self employed as well, I am on my wife's insurance and I give all of my employees $100.00 a week toward their insurance. It's sad, I used to have twice as many employees as now and paid for every guy, and his wife and kids if he had them. I love how they named it the affordable healthcare act

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I am extremely lucky in that my premiums have NOT skyrocketed. I have 6 employees (4 families) and so far have not had to ask for them to contribute payment. Still, its painful but we've done it this way since we started 30 years ago. Its absolute bullshit what the payments were back then compared to now. :grayno:;)

JK-JOHN-E

I'm self-employed also, my family policy went from just over $2000 to a new rate of $2543 per month with an $8000 deductible. We are no longer insured, no way I'm spending $38,000 a year on insurance. For that I'll be self insured and so far it's cost a lot less.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
I had no idea they could roll out/exclude by county like that.

Insurance companies are full of shit and raping Americans! Totally aside from any political view, the insurance lobbyist are doing one hell of job. Industry profiting multi billions of dollars off our backs.

Back to your specific situation, you may want to reach out to a broker. They have access to a lot of the ins and outs. They usually get paid based on the plans they sell. So no harm to you...other than having to deal with a broker. [emoji15] Another option is reach out to your local hospital(s). If the blues are out, the hospital is going to know if any alternatives in the market as they too want to get paid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back to your specific situation, you may want to reach out to a broker. They have access to a lot of the ins and outs. They usually get paid based on the plans they sell. So no harm to you...other than having to deal with a broker. [emoji15] Another option is reach out to your local hospital(s). If the blues are out, the hospital is going to know if any alternatives in the market as they too want to get paid.

Thanks, this helps a lot. I'm embarrassed to say that I wasn't even sure where to begin. As mentioned, I had Kaiser forever and then was forced into Anthem after moving and Obama care came into effect. Not that it was easy but being that I pretty much had only one choice to go with, that's who I signed up with. I guess I'll have to call my local hospitals and see if they can help point me in the right direction.

BobNH

I am covered through my job. I hate to hear you are losing your coverage. I hate to hear anyone is losing their coverage. The fact that any person in this country should have to be without healthcare is embarassing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Thanks, this helps a lot. I'm embarrassed to say that I wasn't even sure where to begin. As mentioned, I had Kaiser forever and then was forced into Anthem after moving and Obama care came into effect. Not that it was easy but being that I pretty much had only one choice to go with, that's who I signed up with. I guess I'll have to call my local hospitals and see if they can help point me in the right direction.

No worries my friend. If it wasn't essentially my weekend, I'd do a little more digging at work for you. We have a Nevada medical group/hospitals, but I'm not over Nevada, so not sure how they are dealing with this news.

Healthcare is a hell of subject to understand. Happy to help with what very small percentage I can. Next week I can do a little more asking around with our Nevada team(s).

sassmouth

I am not familiar with Nevada but I would never rely upon a health insurance broker in Illinois. As far as I am concerned they are shit for finding any real solution. They are just salesmen pushing a product that is either substandard "insurance" or a real group plan that isn't applicable to individuals.

I'm self-employed too supporting a family of four. I rely upon the individual insurance plans made available thru obamacare. I have a high family and individual deductibles and a reasonable monthly premium.

Now all that may all disappear.

A potential solution, which I will be pursuing, is to form a group with other self-employed individuals for insurance purposes only. Basically forming a company legally to get a group insurance plan which for Illinois is a minimum of two partners. I know of people who did this last year successfully.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I feel your pain. Obamacare resulted in a 100% increase in my premiums since I own my own business. The solution for us? I cancelled our insurance and my wife got a part-time job at Wells Fargo. She gets benefits for the entire family and it costs less than what we were paying before Obamacare.

My experience as well. My insurance premiums for my family increased 125%. I was forced into a very high deductible plan and invested in an HSA (Health Savings Account). It seems to be working so far but I worry that if I have something catastrophic, my account will be toast.

JAGS

Hooked
I am not familiar with Nevada but I would never rely upon a health insurance broker in Illinois. As far as I am concerned they are shit for finding any real solution. They are just salesmen pushing a product that is either substandard "insurance" or a real group plan that isn't applicable to individuals.

Hence why I noted having to deal with a broker. [emoji15] But this is also a different day and age. They have a lot of information for their respective markets. Also, you are not required to buy anything, but it might be worth a person's time to hear options. A broker may also be able to privately set up/or have knowledge of insurance plans in a brokers network.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My experience with brokers in Nevada has not been great. Eddie- Hometown Health is affiliated with Renown Hospital in Reno and south Reno. Check with them, and with Carson Tahoe to see if they offer plans.

JAGS

Hooked
My experience with brokers in Nevada has not been great. Eddie- Hometown Health is affiliated with Renown Hospital in Reno and south Reno. Check with them, and with Carson Tahoe to see if they offer plans.

That sucks on the broker part. They can be cheesy. Thanks for chiming in on the hospital side. I had suspected they might be a start. Our affiliated hospitals are a good community resource.

Top Bottom