Gearing

mikem0141

Looking to regear from my stock (not my fault) 3.21s to 4.10 or 4.56 without breaking the bank any suggestions on gear sets? And is it something I can tackle in my garage on the floor with a few jack stands?

Sent from my XT1650 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife. Check with off road evolution if you're in the LA area. They run about a grand. Otherwise you're looking about 1500+. You could do it yourself on jackstands but it's a lot of work and requires specialty tools.

JeepFan

Hooked
Why do you think you need to regear? What tire size are you planning to run. More info will net better advice. 😉

seansheds

Welcome to Wayalife. Check with off road evolution if you're in the LA area. They run about a grand. Otherwise you're looking about 1500+. You could do it yourself on jackstands but it's a lot of work and requires specialty tools.

ORE went up to $1350

fiend

Caught the Bug
I've done a few regears, mine and for friends. It is something that you enjoy having done, but not so much doing it. Things never go as smoothly as you'd like and it always takes twice as long as you think it will. You can do it yourself but you will probably spend 500 bux on tools (unless you already have a well equipped home shop). If you can pay 1300 or so for parts and labor, I'd say just do that. If you like building up your tool collection and being self sufficient, and saving a little dough, then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

alf1096

I did my last jeep in the garage floor and borrowed specialty tools. If you find a experienced shop to do it for 1500 or under I wouldn't do it agin myself. If you do it yourself pull the axles it's easier.

mikem0141

Looking to regear from my stock (not my fault) 3.21s to 4.10 or 4.56 without breaking the bank any suggestions on gear sets? And is it something I can tackle in my garage on the floor with a few jack stands?

I plan to run 35s for the time being and maybe go to a 37 down the road but I really want to regear because I use it almost every weekend and at least once during the week as a crawler in Western mass and southern Vermont.

BobNH

Well currently have 33s going to 35s and I use it at least twice a week as a rock crawler in Western mass and southern Vermont it is still my dd tho

Transmisson is going to matter too. Manual you can go higher gears than auto from what I have read. My 08 with auto has 4.10 on 32" tires. But if you check the charts, I am not even in the sweet spot. That said, it isn't anemic by any stretch. For 35" on a DD, my thoughts would be around 4.88 for manual and 5.13 for auto. Just my .02 though. Do a lot more research, and as others have said, find a shop. A very good one in Bridgewater Corners Vermont.
And judging by your favorite trail, I am impressed if you are running it on 33" tires and 3.21 gears. I had some friends post up a report from that road a couple weeks ago; 7 hours for 3 miles.
And hit the Wave section as some have hinted at. Drop a line or two there to say hi.
Welcome to Wayalife from west central NH.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

mikem0141

Transmisson is going to matter too. Manual you can go higher gears than auto from what I have read. My 08 with auto has 4.10 on 32" tires. But if you check the charts, I am not even in the sweet spot. That said, it isn't anemic by any stretch. For 35" on a DD, my thoughts would be around 4.88 for manual and 5.13 for auto. Just my .02 though. Do a lot more research, and as others have said, find a shop. A very good one in Bridgewater Corners Vermont.
And judging by your favorite trail, I am impressed if you are running it on 33" tires and 3.21 gears. I had some friends post up a report from that road a couple weeks ago; 7 hours for 3 miles.
And hit the Wave section as some have hinted at. Drop a line or two there to say hi.

Thanks man and ya this Jeep hasn't made it to old Florida yet needs a few more things, the previous ones have though 👍

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
From the limited info provided, I'd go with 5.13's. If you trust 4WP, they're running a special soon on gears. Parts and install for $1299.

mikem0141

It's a manual and ya I'm in Western mass haven't done old Florida yet with the jk but I did plenty with my two tjs. I plan on doing it this year with the jk now that I've had some time to do the mods skids tires gears ext.

Top Bottom