Awnings For Roof Racks

WJCO

Meme King
Any of you have roll out awnings for roof racks or have any experience with them? Good, Bad, Waste of time/money? After our last trip, our stand up canopy was lifted by the wind and thrown into our tent breaking both the canopy linkage and a tent pole. Not only that, the canopy is huge and takes up a lot of valuable gear space. The awnings seem affordable and store on the side of the roof rack taking up no space. And if it's windy, they look like they could be put away faster. I'm primarily looking at the ARB but any feedback is welcome.

Web picture for example:

IMG_9874_450.jpg

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I looked into them awhile back. I have wanted one, I just don't want to mount it on the TJ as I think it would look goofy. The ARB is the way to go, they are sturdy, affordable, reliable, and easy to install.

WJCO

Meme King
I looked into them awhile back. I have wanted one, I just don't want to mount it on the TJ as I think it would look goofy. The ARB is the way to go, they are sturdy, affordable, reliable, and easy to install.

I'm definitely not a fan of how they look, but it may be practical for us.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I looked at the ARB, but I'm considering the Smittybilt that attaches to the spare tire because I don't really want any more weight up high.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

I saw that Smittybilt one. I've never seen one in person, but I've seen plenty of videos about them and honestly wouldn't want one. The poles are cheap, the canvas material looks cheap, etc.

BaddestCross

I saw that Smittybilt one. I've never seen one in person, but I've seen plenty of videos about them and honestly wouldn't want one. The poles are cheap, the canvas material looks cheap, etc.
I haven't seen one in person yet, so I can't speak to quality. I like the idea and the stowability, though.

If you're going for a high quality roll-away, ARB for sure. Nice accessories to turn it into a screen room too.

There's another company that makes one that swings out like a bat wing that looked interesting as well.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Plus, with my low-rider TJ and small baby tires, the awning wouldn't be high enough on the spare. :grayno: Maybe one day I'll put a roof rack on the hardtop and mount an awning on it.

WJCO

Meme King
That swing around one looks sweet. Called the Foxwing awning. But it's 600 bucks. I don't see myself spending that much for the awning.

I just watched ARBs video on theirs, it is really stout, more than I thought. Only issue is they have 3 sizes, I don't want it small enough to not cover enough, but also don't want one so large that my Jeep looks like a motorhome. I'll probably go with the 2500 (mid size) and may even get 2 (one for each side). I need to take some measurements first and see.

BaddestCross

That swing around one looks sweet. Called the Foxwing awning. But it's 600 bucks. I don't see myself spending that much for the awning.

I just watched ARBs video on theirs, it is really stout, more than I thought. Only issue is they have 3 sizes, I don't want it small enough to not cover enough, but also don't want one so large that my Jeep looks like a motorhome. I'll probably go with the 2500 (mid size) and may even get 2 (one for each side). I need to take some measurements first and see.
Foxwing, that's it... Couldn't remember the name. Yeah, it's expensive, but it has a lot more coverage and the setup and takedown is more simple if I remember correctly.

WJCO

Meme King
Are you mounting on the WJ or the JKU? I'm sure ARB could make a pink one ;)

So you'd add a roof rack? Or is this for the WJ?

Foxwing, that's it... Couldn't remember the name. Yeah, it's expensive, but it has a lot more coverage and the setup and takedown is more simple if I remember correctly.

Lol. It's for the WJ. No pink. The roof rack is only 48 inches long, however, I'm sure I could build attachment brackets. Also, the roof has the OEM cargo roof rails too, and it looks like awning could attach to that.

GraniteCrystal

Lol. It's for the WJ. No pink. The roof rack is only 48 inches long, however, I'm sure I could build attachment brackets. Also, the roof has the OEM cargo roof rails too, and it looks like awning could attach to that.
I like that idea. Someone posted recently in the "What did you do to your rig this week" thread with an awning and I thought how convenient that'd be. Never putting a roof rack back on the Jeep though. I have thought of adding attachment points to the roll cage or door jams for a sun screen of some sort, maybe even the rain cover that I use with my hammock setup. Just something to give shade during the day.

WJCO

Meme King
I like that idea. Someone posted recently in the "What did you do to your rig this week" thread with an awning and I thought how convenient that'd be. Never putting a roof rack back on the Jeep though. I have thought of adding attachment points to the roll cage or door jams for a sun screen of some sort, maybe even the rain cover that I use with my hammock setup. Just something to give shade during the day.

Exactly. The last time we were out when our canopy broke, we hung out in the sun all day, we got sunburnt and felt dehydrated. So we're trying to figure out ways to do a shade but keep it simpler. Funny thing is when we sat in the shade, it was the shade from the Jeep, and it wasn't too bad. So this option may work out well.

GraniteCrystal

Exactly. The last time we were out when our canopy broke, we hung out in the sun all day, we got sunburnt and felt dehydrated. So we're trying to figure out ways to do a shade but keep it simpler. Funny thing is when we sat in the shade, it was the shade from the Jeep, and it wasn't too bad. So this option may work out well.
Sounds like you just need to put the WJ on 40s to increase the amount of shade you have.

WJCO

Meme King
Some guys homemade awning I found on Google

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

That is pretty sweet. Similar to the Foxwing one. I just measured the Jeep. When collapsed, the 8 foot one would have over my windshield about a foot and a little beyond the back of the Jeep. I think it's going to look too goofy. ARB makes a 6 foot one and that may be just right. The 4 foot one ain't going to cut it at all. I may look at some trailer ones too, if the price is right and they're sturdy, I may do a custom one.

I did some sucky renderings to see what 8 foot would look like on the Jeep, I don't like it, but then again, 8 foot would provide a decent amount of shade.

0615171431.jpg

IMG_20170221_151035_438.jpg

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Needs this

View attachment 266118

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Of course! Can't forget the massive ARB bumper, too.

wjbullbar1.JPG

Top Bottom