Black Betty's slow.. slow build

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So I decided I should start with my build thread even though it's going to be a slow one. First jeep I've owned so I'm curious to learn as much as I can from everyone so I can make the right choices. My goal is to build a good DD with the capabilities to go off-roading a few times a year. Here is a list of mods I've already completed.
1. PS Hood Louver
2. Rough Country 3.5 Suspension Lift(already installed prior to purchasing)
3. Smittybilt XRC Fender Flares
4. Smittybilt XRC body cladding
5. LED headlights and fog light-Chinese versions :(
6. Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS
7. Polk DB1001 tweeters
8. Kicker upgrade for JK
9. Spectre CAI
14. Dynomax 39516 Cat back
16. Body Armor rear bumper
17. EAG rock crawler front bumper
18. Body Armor front light bar with 4 KC Hilights
19. JKS License plate relocation kit

Here is the list of modifications going forward:
Phase I - Suspension/steering
Regear to 4.88 done
JKS Front Swaybar quick disconnect done
EVO 3inch Plush Coils Front/Rear done
Rancho 5000x shocks done
Evo rear sway bar links done
Crown Stainless Steel brake lines
Extend rear breather tube
Flip drag link, replace stock pitman arm
Replace dual steering stabilizer with single - replaced with fox done

Phase II - Protection and accessories
Warn 8274 rebuild
Barnes 4x4 mount
Prolink
Add a CB
Add fire extinguisher
Spill kit
Build rear cargo top
Trail doors
Trasharoo
Evo rockstar
Oil/engine/trans skid
Front Lca skid
Rear 44 skid
Ballastic Diff Covers
ViAir p88 compressor with air down tool- done
Bartract seat cover - done
Trail gear battery box
Truck lite headlight 27270C
Poison Spyder cage
Brake bleeding valve
Add powered sub woofer- done
Powertrac locker for front
Fenders back to stock - done
Bestop NX - done
Trade out 20s for 17s with 35s - done

Phase III - Get ready for 37s
Evo C Gussett
OX rear locker
Morryde tire carrier
Dynatrac progrip BBS
Redneck ram assist
Syngery sector shaft brace
Upgrade to 37s

Phase IV - Upgrade bumpers/steps
Poison spyder ricochet rockers
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite

Phase VI - LS swap
LS Swap kit from MoTech
L83
6l80

Replace when it breaks
Odyssey 34-1500
Dynatrac prosteer ball joints
Revolution 35spline rear axle shaft
Dynatrac PR44
Reel 1350 front drive shaft
Wfo tie rod
Core 4x4 front lower control arms

Here she sits the day I started this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20170603_114015195.jpg
    IMG_20170603_114015195.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Yeah, a little more smittybilt than what most want, but it gets you there and most of that stuff can be upgraded later. I ran cheap smittybilt sidesteps until I could get good sliders, my wife had to be able to get in and it was the cheapest option to do as a temporary solution. You have a nice list of mods for the next round and overall looking pretty good already.

WJCO

Meme King
Good looking build so far. I like the color combo. If you do get more heavily into off-road use, it may not be a bad idea to get smaller rims so there is more tire sidewall, helps on the rocks. Those look like 20s.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Yeah, a little more smittybilt than what most want, but it gets you there and most of that stuff can be upgraded later. I ran cheap smittybilt sidesteps until I could get good sliders, my wife had to be able to get in and it was the cheapest option to do as a temporary solution. You have a nice list of mods for the next round and overall looking pretty good already.
Thanks. I was just going off the Amazon reviews and had a feeling I was taking a chance on them since they were cheaper. I probably need to upgrade my sidesteps also. I'm not sure what brand they are but I'm guessing I'll want to install some type of rockslider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Good looking build so far. I like the color combo. If you do get more heavily into off-road use, it may not be a bad idea to get smaller rims so there is more tire sidewall, helps on the rocks. Those look like 20s.
Thanks. They are 20s, dealership put those on. I'll probably grab some pro comp 17s when these tires go bald and sell the rims.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Traded out my 20s for 35 nitto MT wrapped on rockstar 2 17s. Added a bestop trektop nx also. Love the new additions! Thanks for all the advice from everyone. IMG_20170716_103740402.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Love the fastback tops, looks great on yours. You should notice a better ride with the bigger sidewalls as well as just making the Jeep look better overall. Goods choices on both upgrades!

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Love the fastback tops, looks great on yours. You should notice a better ride with the bigger sidewalls as well as just making the Jeep look better overall. Goods choices on both upgrades!
Thanks. I love how fast I can go topless or just flip open the front. It is a little noiser but not unbearable. I did notice a difference in the ride with the new tires. It seems harder to stop, perhaps the setup is heavier. I've also noticed a metal grinding vibration when I'm braking now. Not sure what that's related to but I'll keep monitoring it. It definitely feels smoother, but maybe it's just in my head. Overall very happy and excited about these upgrades.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
20160618_164309.jpg
Found this photo from when I first bought Betty and went to visit my uncle in LA. We were "going to the store" and thought it would be a good idea to take the tops and doors off for the first time. Longest and most glorious ride to the store I've ever had!

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
No picture updates but I was able to finally get regeared to 4.88. Everyone under the sun told me how much more of an improvement it would be and they were right. It feels like a new jeep and I love the regain of power. Next on the list is 3inch enforcer lift with rancho 9000xl!

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
zcamera-20170927_095549.jpg zcamera-20170927_095616.jpg
Wasn't crazy about the stock antenna nor was I too crazy with the stubby versions. I bought this so I could stick it inside out of the way and hopefully still retain decent reception for my local stations. Although it did have some negative reviews I installed it without any issues and my reception is pretty clear. Trail rated badge fits nicely to cover up the old mounting hole. I found this antenna on Amazon for $8.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
20171104_162421.jpg
Figured I would play around with some minor mods that I had been meaning to do for a while and finally found some time. Used some VHT Nite-Shade to tint my KC Hilight Apolos on my light bar and windshield.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
20171104_015359.jpg
Been meaning to add some side marker lights after moving to aftermarket fenders. Really easy to wire them into the turn signal wiring harness.

Top Bottom