Does anyone use the Blue Ox tow bar adapter kit?

scrota76

I'm getting ready to set my Jeep up for flat towing and I ran across the following product:

Blue Ox BX88296 Tow Bar Adapter Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3VEWCY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_taa_nKuwzbBR7WGXA

BX88296_800x600.jpeg

Is anyone here using these or have positive or negative info about them? My assumption (mother of all F ups) would be that the weak link would not be the adapter, but the weld on the D-Ring mount.

I have a JCR front bumper.

I appreciate all feed back on this, thanks.

Sent from my SM-T820 using WAYALIFE mobile app

MBezner

I have a JCR front bumper and use that exact setup. Works good for me. Only problem was the D ring hole was a hair too small and the pins wouldn't go thru. Used a die grinder and made them fit.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

scrota76

I have a JCR front bumper and use that exact setup. Works good for me. Only problem was the D ring hole was a hair too small and the pins wouldn't go thru. Used a die grinder and made them fit.

Mind if i pick your brain a little more? Which tow bar are you using? Are you towing with a Class A OR C Motorhome V10 or diesel? What height, if any, receiver hitch did you use?

Sent from my SM-T820 using WAYALIFE mobile app

oldroadie

Hey, this is off topic but I want to remove the Blue Ox baseplate that came on my Jeep. Do you guys know if I have to pull the bumper to access the right side nuts? They don't really line up with the access holes in the frame. '98 Sahara.

MBezner

I have the alfa tow bar. I pull it with a Class a with the v10. Its pretty short on power but on flat ground I can run 70 mph fairly easy. Guzzles the gas. My jeep is on 37's with a 4 inch lift so I've been trying to get the tow bar level but I think ill just make my own receiver hitch to get it right. I was waiting because I have new evo plush coils to put on the jeep and I want to see how that affects my bumper height.

scrota76

I have the alfa tow bar. I pull it with a Class a with the v10. Its pretty short on power but on flat ground I can run 70 mph fairly easy. Guzzles the gas. My jeep is on 37's with a 4 inch lift so I've been trying to get the tow bar level but I think ill just make my own receiver hitch to get it right. I was waiting because I have new evo plush coils to put on the jeep and I want to see how that affects my bumper height.

Thank you very much for the help. My tow rating is 12,500 lbs, but i figured that number was based off the E450 platform only without the motorhome built on it. I get 7.2 MPG on the motorhome no matter how i drive, so i might lose a little towing the jeep, oh well, I'm paying for the extra gas one way or another.

One last question, what braking system do you use?

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

scrota76

Hey, this is off topic but I want to remove the Blue Ox baseplate that came on my Jeep. Do you guys know if I have to pull the bumper to access the right side nuts? They don't really line up with the access holes in the frame. '98 Sahara.

Im not sure on a '98 Jeep, but on my jeep i would have to remove the factory bumper to access the tow bar base plate attached to the frame. Should be fairly simple, usually just 8 nuts to take off the bumper.

My current bumper set up prevents me from using the base plate frame attachment, unless i chop up the bumper and skid plate. That's why I'm considering going with the above bracket system. Plus it doesnt appear to be an eye soar like the base plate system.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom