Diesel TJ's

Jranso04

Anybody running diesels in their TJ's? Whether it's 4BT, 6BT or anything else. I'm thinking of doing a 4BT in my TJ eventually so just trying to get an idea of what all I'd need and how it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Check emissions first. At least for Oregon it's against deq to switch from gas to diesel and vice versa no matter what year
I did a ton of research for this for my TJ and the best bets are a 4bt or a 6bt if you can find one like you said, but the very best option would be a lb7 out of a Chevy duramax. At 405 cu it would barely fit under the hood but you'd get amazing torque and amazing mpg

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Anyone have any experience with the diesel swap kit they made specific for TJ that was featured on dirt every day in their project jeep "tube sock"?

Rst8rox

It was a Cummins r2.8. It is set to be released any time now if I remember correctly. Also heard that's it's going to have around a 8-10k price tag. Trying to remember I think they said 161hp and aLil more than 260 in torque. It weighs 503lbs. I've been following the tube sock build for a while now waiting on the final verdict to come in. Hope this helps a little.

P.S. Could be just a rumor but I have heard of a few people being selected to do beta testing in your vehicle... if your interested contact Cummins R&D department so I've been told

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
IIRC the cummins Fred put in Tube Sock was designed specifically for a Jeep. The 4bt, on the other hand, while a great engine was NOT designed to be in a Jeep. A 4bt is about 250lbs heavier than a 4.0, and the added weight on the front end of an alright light vehicle can really change the feel of your Jeep offroad. I'm waiting patiently on weight specs for the Cummins in Tube Sock. That 10,000 price tag is hefty but worth it if it proves to be a good motor.

Jranso04

Yea that is a pretty big price but if the engine holds up it could be worth it especially with the little increase in power and economy. I don't think most people get keeps for economic reasons. I'll have to keep my eye out for the 2.8.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Have you looked at an Isuzu 4JJ1? It's a great engine that has been used in heaps of applications. I'm thinking of putting one in a TJ if I can convince the wife to let me get one.

Jranso04

Yea realistically like snboarder113 said my TJ will most likely never see a diesel swap. I am for sure though going to swap a new straight 6 in once mine goes. It’s just more convenient for the 6cyl. A lot less expensive as well. I have been thinking about a supercharger though

I would consider a swap if the jeep didn't have so much rust repair, it's just not a good base to build from. Also 8k is just not in the cards for an engine. A (used/ rebuilt) v8 swap is cheaper. I do like the idea of these r2.8 as they will be long lasting and hopefully show up in the used market for a more reasonable price.

Jranso04

Yea my jeep is rusty a little too but it was my uncles jeep and he passed away so I want to try and possibly fix the rust as best as possible then swap just to keep it in the family.

Top Bottom