Hinges chipped

SaskJeeps

So as I was removing my doors I noticed they were chipped to hell. Should I get them repainted or touched up, or should I buy an ebay plastic cover and say F it. How do your hinges look? Cheers everyone hope your weekend is going great 🇨🇦🇺🇸🎆🎆

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Attachments

• 20170702_184447.jpg
    20170702_184447.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 223
  • FB_IMG_1499042496114.jpg
    FB_IMG_1499042496114.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 220
J

JKDream

So as I was removing my doors I noticed they were chipped to hell. Should I get them repainted or touched up, or should I buy an ebay plastic cover and say F it. How do your hinges look? Cheers everyone hope your weekend is going great 🇨🇦🇺🇸🎆🎆

Mine look like shit, your tires will fling rocks directly into them.
I just touch up paint every now and then so it doesn't rust out.

blackhills

Just touch them up and put some 3M clear shield on them, most shops that install the clear bras on cars would probably give you some small scrap pieces you could cut up

Sent from my VS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app

SaskJeeps

So the touch up paint I bought does not match up to my oem paint for some odd reason. It is the right colour code and all but it looks more like forest green than sarge green. I am confused as the dealership ordered it using the vin number and sarge green colour code is what the bottle says [emoji53] 1499051288300.jpg 1499051265605.jpg 20170702_211006.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
So the touch up paint I bought does not match up to my oem paint for some odd reason. It is the right colour code and all but it looks more like forest green than sarge green. I am confused as the dealership ordered it using the vin number and sarge green colour code is what the bottle says [emoji53] View attachment 266484 View attachment 266485 View attachment 266486

Looks like your problem is that you have the wrong paint. It was pulled up by the sales code which is PGG, not the paint code. The part number you have is 68306236AA - that is paint code VR-330/B sales code PGG, which is called Verde Toscana/Green Metallic. I think what you need is paint code PGG, sales code PGG. That part number is 06102872AA and is called Sarge Green/Flank.

SaskJeeps

Thank you so much, I swear to god these guys at the dealership are idiots

kirstinthemermaid

So as I was removing my doors I noticed they were chipped to hell. Should I get them repainted or touched up, or should I buy an ebay plastic cover and say F it. How do your hinges look? Cheers everyone hope your weekend is going great ������������

I laid my passenger hinge against a rock and scraped the hell out of mine. It actually saved the majority of my body to be honest. No use in fixing it, I just touched up a little with some paint.

Testlab

Ha! This thread makes me happy that I'm not the only one! 50 miles in to ownership, the stock BFGs chucked a chunk of asphalt up and I swore someone had shot the JK with a shotgun slug. Obviously, it had hit the door hinge. They kept doing this till I went to 315 MTRs. Not sure why, but I haven't gotten any more hinge dings since then.

I too use touch up paint. Only reason I fix it at all is to prevent cancerous rust.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

J

JKDream

Ha! This thread makes me happy that I'm not the only one! 50 miles in to ownership, the stock BFGs chucked a chunk of asphalt up and I swore someone had shot the JK with a shotgun slug. Obviously, it had hit the door hinge. They kept doing this till I went to 315 MTRs. Not sure why, but I haven't gotten any more hinge dings since then.

I too use touch up paint. Only reason I fix it at all is to prevent cancerous rust.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It's the tires and the lug spacing.
My MTR's never picked up rocks and whatnot, my Ridge Grapps on the other hand...

Tree Frog

There is a company out there that makes these little things that look like not much more than a piece of black plastic tubing that is slit lengthways. They snap over the hinge round part and are supposed to shed the rock blast off the tires.
I kind of feel like they will trap moisture inside there and cause rust/ corrosion.

There is also a bunch of folks who use bed liner spray paint and remove their hinges then coat them with it, to prevent the damage that sets in from moisture getting trapped between the hinge and the door.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
There is also a bunch of folks who use bed liner spray paint and remove their hinges then coat them with it, to prevent the damage that sets in from moisture getting trapped between the hinge and the door.

I plan on doing this to mine. I want to take them completely off of the doors and the body side. Then paint them with the bedliner and paint the bolt heads. Then put them back on. Once I get another chip, I can just tape the hinge off and touch it up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom