Skid Plate Bolt Nutsert in Frame Broke Loose

scull20

I've got a set of Evo ProTek Skids on my '14 JKUR. The bolt that goes into the frame on the far passenger side to secure the skid was endlessly spinning today when I went to drop the skid off the Jeep (the rest of the bolts came out fine).

I ended up having to cut the bolt off with a cutting disk and angle grinder in order to remove the skid. It seems like the "nutsert" that was secured to the inside of the frame broke free. Now I've just got an oblong in the underside of the frame and no threads to fasten the skid/bolt to anymore.

I'm gathering that there is no "quick and dirty" solution to this problem. Does anyone know of a large "nutsert" that I could utilize in this location...or any other non-welding solution?

Otherwise I'd imagine I'll have to have a nut tacked into place here. Or perhaps say a piece of plate with a hole in it with a nut already welded to one side with the hole lined up. Then just tack the plate to the frame on the outside and the welded nut will be inside the frame. The mounting hole will just be dropped slightly by the thickness of the plate. Perhaps I'm overthinking it? I'm open to suggestions.

WiscoHR

I broke the nut loose on the front passenger side bolt taking off my Evo skids. But there was a square hole on the inside of the frame so I just bought a new nut and bolt at the hardware store, and was able to fit the wrench in the frame to tighten it. Not sure if there is an opening by the rear nut.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

scull20

I broke the nut loose on the front passenger side bolt taking off my Evo skids. But there was a square hole on the inside of the frame so I just bought a new nut and bolt at the hardware store, and was able to fit the wrench in the frame to tighten it. Not sure if there is an opening by the rear nut.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to crawl under and take a look. Hopefully the hole is there...otherwise it's back the drawing board.

scull20

Found the square hole on the inside of the frame! Also found the nut...seems like it's tacked down only at the corners.

Just need to get a replacement bolt and then a nut/washer for it.

IMG_3240.jpg
IMG_3242.jpg

WiscoHR

If you get a longer bolt and stack a few washers on it inside the frame it makes it a lot easier to get the wrench on the nut. Then the nut will be closer to where the hole is. That's what I did.

JKbrick

You can wrap a wire around the threads of the bolt and fish it through the hole and pull the bolt through the hole and put the nut and washer on the outside. Then you won't drop the washer in the frame 20 times

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom