Steering

Djeep20

After lift install my steering has become loose. It takes a lot more turns of my wheel to turn the tires also the steering wheel is tilted to the left for my wheels to be straight down the road does anyone know what this could be?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Djeep20

2.5 inch lift and I had control arm lowering brackets installed... I took it to a shop and they squared everything up and said I wouldn't need a new track bar could I still need one?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I don't think you need new track bar. Given the lift size though 2.5" advertised may actually give you more like almost 3.5". You might need to do the drag link flip. Did your kit come with a drag link flip?
Also I don't see how a lift would affect how many time you need to turn the steering wheel? Did your lift have drop pitman arm, and did the shop had to mess around with your steering box?

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
It takes a lot more turns of my wheel to turn the tires

You sure about that statement? Installing a lift can't cause your Jeep's steering to take more rotations of the steering wheel. That's impossible. Does it take more turns one way than the other? The only think I can think of that could cause that is if a dropped Pitman Arm was installed and its out of phase with your wheels.

Djeep20

It is more like the steering is not as sensitive as it was before the lift and the wheel is not straight and I have done the steps to straighten it and it always shifts to tilt even though my wheels are straight

Ddays

Hooked
It is more like the steering is not as sensitive as it was before the lift and the wheel is not straight and I have done the steps to straighten it and it always shifts to tilt even though my wheels are straight

What you are likely feeling is the effects of the drag link not being as parallel to the axle as it was before the lift. Lifting the body increased that angle. But you still should be able to center the steering wheel following the guide. Once it's set it really can't change unless something bends or the sleeve isn't tightened to spec.

Andy5160

Hooked
As Ddays stated you can definitely center the steering yourself by using write up from Eddie. It will take you probably three test drives to get it centered perfectly. You definitely don't need adjustable track bar for 2.5 of lift. Also what i would recommend is to get read of the CA brackets and go back to stock locations. With 2.5 you will be just fine. Also CA drop brackets reduce clearance under the jeep while on trails.
Good Luck.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Even after I straighten my steering there is still play in my steering I am trying to fix that

Post up a picture of your drag link and track bar. You want those two to be as parallel to each other as possible, otherwise your steering will feel a little weird.
Also don't assume it's due to the lift kit, you might have play in your tie rod ends. Put your jeep on stands and have a friend jump in and move the steering wheel left and right while you look for play in the joints.

J

JKDream

Keeping it simple, have you checked the torque on your track bar?
Even if it's a slight bit loose it will cause your steering wheel to have some play to it.
Same goes for the other bolts, I would get under with a torque wrench and give everything a once over.
You shouldn't have any bump steer unless you added a track bar bracket without flipping the DL or vice versa.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Keeping it simple, have you checked the torque on your track bar?
Even if it's a slight bit loose it will cause your steering wheel to have some play to it.
Same goes for the other bolts, I would get under with a torque wrench and give everything a once over.
You shouldn't have any bump steer unless you added a track bar bracket without flipping the DL or vice versa.

Agreed.

Top Bottom