Ball joint removal and replacement

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody knows how easy it is or has done it at home and what the best selection of tools are for changing the ball joints on the Drag Link and Tie Rod?

Cheers

Jordan

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Andy5160

Hooked
Well i am a bit puzzled are you referring to drag link end links, tie rod end link(driver side only unless you have after market)

Please clarify

Sorry my bad I have looked in to my problem more and realised its the ball joints on the knuckles that I need to change. The only tool that I don't have access to is the ball joint press.

Are there any good alternative methods for getting them in and out?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I leased a set form Advace auto parts to do my ProSteers, which are massive in size. I also had dynatrac recommended adapter for this job. I must say it was tight, the press was just big enough for the job. Also this set has the special slightly angled adapter necessary to press the bjs straight. The angled adapter is one of the circled ones
IMG_4180.JPG

They charge like $250 for this press, but once you burning it back then refund all your money.

Last edited:
J

JKDream

You might be able to get away with using a C clamp and sockets. That's essentially all that is in a ball joint press.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah but the only problem is if the C is wide enough. If it isn't then I can't get things sent back.

VeruGE do you know roughly what size the open was on the C in the set you used?

WJCO

Meme King
Installing the uppers requires an angled adapter or use washers and swear words. I ended up ordering a piece of bulk steel and angle cutting it on a saw. YouTube has enough videos, you'll see what I mean for installing the uppers.

Installing the uppers requires an angled adapter or use washers and swear words. I ended up ordering a piece of bulk steel and angle cutting it on a saw. YouTube has enough videos, you'll see what I mean for installing the uppers.

Well to be fair you wouldn't be working on a Jeep if there wasn't lots of swear words!!

OhNoTheJiggies

If you're referring to the 100 dollar press that only has 13 or 14 pieces then I wouldn't do it... I rented that one from one of the auto parts stores and couldn't get the alloy USA balljoints on. Had to find another auto parts store that had the whole kit like veruge posted a picture of. Also, after having don't them once, I'd hate to do them again. So if I ever have to do them again, I'm going with the dynatracs since they're rebuildable without removing them (just my .02 tossed in)

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Yeah but the only problem is if the C is wide enough. If it isn't then I can't get things sent back.

VeruGE do you know roughly what size the open was on the C in the set you used?

I really don't know am sorry [emoji52]. Based on this picture I would say like 6-8". Like others have stated it's better to have that angled adapter handy.
IMG_4187.jpg

Top Bottom