Passenger side chirp

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
After wheeling pretty hard this weekend I have a chirp coming from the passenger front. Immediate thoughts were brakes but took the wheel off and everything seemed good.

When I get up to about 20 the chirp starts. Turn driver it goes away. Straight or passenger turn gets worse. Apply brakes goes away.

I didnt take the calipers all the way off.. sound like something in the pads?

Traction control light also came on so I'm wondering if it may be the unit bearing or ujoint but they all look good and I didnt really feel any play.

What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

After wheeling pretty hard this weekend I have a chirp coming from the passenger front. Immediate thoughts were brakes but took the wheel off and everything seemed good.

When I get up to about 20 the chirp starts. Turn driver it goes away. Straight or passenger turn gets worse. Apply brakes goes away.

I didnt take the calipers all the way off.. sound like something in the pads?

Traction control light also came on so I'm wondering if it may be the unit bearing or ujoint but they all look good and I didnt really feel any play.

What am I missing?

Definitely take the calipers off.
You'd be surprised how much mud and shit gets stuck in there that you can't see.
I took mine off the other day and at LEAST a pound of dried up mud fell out.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Definitely take the calipers off.
You'd be surprised how much mud and shit gets stuck in there that you can't see.
I took mine off the other day and at LEAST a pound of dried up mud fell out.

If thats the case, which it might, why would the traction light go off - was the question in my head.

J

JKDream

If thats the case, which it might, why would the traction light go off - was the question in my head.

Because if it's a rock it could be applying pressure between the caliper and pads and making the computer think you are in a slide.
I've had that happen a couple of times after some mud pits, a quick pressure wash and nothing ever comes of it.
Just an idea.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Because if it's a rock it could be applying pressure between the caliper and pads and making the computer think you are in a slide.
I've had that happen a couple of times after some mud pits, a quick pressure wash and nothing ever comes of it.
Just an idea.

Fair points. Thanks gents, all thoughts I had but just wanted to talk through it and validate my action plan. Gonna pull the calipers and give everything a good inspection. If that looks good will pull the hub and shaft.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Bent the flange. Rotational chirp at low to medium speeds, light/medium breaking, and went away at full press of the brakes. It was warrantied by G2 for the guy who bought my rear when I went to 60s. Anyways, always worth checking that.

Would I be able to see if the flange was bent without pulling the axle shaft? I wouldn't think so but I don't know

GraniteCrystal

Did you post this on Facebook today? I saw something just like this on there today too and the general concensus was needed new axle shaft I think.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
You should be able to see that tire wobble ever so slightly at higher speeds, like 65-70 mph. You'd have to have a passenger in your car look out the window as you drive

Ok good call here. I knew the hive mind would help fill in the blanks. Just had the wife drive and its definitely the rear despite my best hearing, definitely wobbling, and likely the shaft

Top Bottom