Tinking/popping noise near steering box

srbell0585

So during the wheeling trip this past weekend I started hearing a tinking/popping noise at the steering box and frame around it. I hear it while steering left and right pretty consistently. I did notice play in the passenger side end of the drag link and frame side of the track bar. Those replacements are on order. There is no noise near these joints. Has anyone had a noise like this around the steering box. Not sure if the noise from the bad joints is traveling or if it is in fact a steering box issue as well. Anyone else have any similar noises in this area?

Sent from my SM-N910T using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Noises can travel far. My track bar jam nut was loose and I could feel the noise on about every joint. Fix those parts and recheck. Also make sure your steering box bolts are tight at the frame. You can always have someone turn the steering wheel while you put your hand on various parts to check. I'll bet that track bar bracket is a big part of it.

Colorado2003

Check the grease that is in your out put shaft (small black boot). I have run into this in my 2010 build. It was dry and making that noise. Take a needle greaser and fill the sleeve then squeeze it from top to bottom. It might not be your problem but it can't hurt to see if this is your culprit. Cheep fix.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

srbell0585

Noises can travel far. My track bar jam nut was loose and I could feel the noise on about every joint. Fix those parts and recheck. Also make sure your steering box bolts are tight at the frame. You can always have someone turn the steering wheel while you put your hand on various parts to check. I'll bet that track bar bracket is a big part of it.
Steering box bolts are tight, checked those on the trail. That's the plan at this point. Hoping the drag link/track bar are the problems as I have another wheeling trip planned in two weeks and don't have time to do much else. Thanks for the input.

aTX427

Is your steering off center? Mine did the same thing then twisted the sector shaft. Could have been catastrophic if it broke.

srbell0585

Is your steering off center? Mine did the same thing then twisted the sector shaft. Could have been catastrophic if it broke.
Yeah the sector shaft breaking is what I was concerned about when I was on the trail. Steering wheel is off center a little more then normal after wheeling. Not enough to set off any lights on the dash though.

jknikos

I was having the same problem and it turned out to be the tie rod on the sector shaft. Cheap and easy fix by myself. At first I thought that my steering box was dead :eek:

aTX427

Was it knocking or just had play in the wheel? I'm still in Colorado on vacation and haven't been able to pull the pitman arm, but my steering wheel is off by 90* and I can't see anything better or deflected.

jeeeep

Hooked
I had a similar popping noise I thought was the steering shaft connection to the box.
turned out to be internal steering box issues.
if you look where the steering shaft goes into the steering box, you can grab the shaft and rotate it left to right. keep an eye where it connects to the steering box, if that connection moves in and out you likely have internal box damage.

my steering wheel was also 90* off. I had adjusted it straight but could still hear the popping. drove it that way for awhile (never felt quite right) then
it got worse while I was on the freeway merging making a slight right hand turn .... my Jeep kept going somewhat straight.
that'll pucker you up at 55mph

using shaft in describing.... just makes me laugh :cheesy:

srbell0585

Well just replaced both sides of the drag link and threw the stock track bar on for testing since I'm waiting on the RK track bar bushing. The noise is still there. The back of the frame side track bar hole seemed hollowed out but after torqued the track bar wasn't moving anymore. Now that km at home I listened around again but this time with a stethoscope. I can hear it anywhere on the frame being the loudest near front driver around the steering box, but when I listen directly on the steering box it gets much quiter. Will have to do more inspection while someone is turning the wheel later.

srbell0585

Figured I would update, I replaced the tre's and the drag link as they both had play. Replaced track bar frame side bushing since it was moving...even fixed the frame side bolt hole for the track bar since it was ovaled out. Noise was still there. Swapped the steering box with another jk...noise was still there. Weird, with a stethoscope the noise can be heard anywhere on the frame but loudest near the steering box. Can't hear the noise anywhere on the axle housing or anywhere else. I'm over it....

jeeeep

Hooked
Did you check the coils to make sure they're seated properly. if they're not seated properly they will pop in and out off that little edge that keeps them from rotating

JDDK

also check swaybar links. My bushings are worn and it makes all sorts of noise when i turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom