Maybe first jeep?!

Lone Star

So I ran into this guy that had a 1980 Jeep cj7 for sale on Craigslist for $2,675. I went to go look at it. We talked for like 2 hours, and we may work out a deal. It's not the best jeep in the world but I test drove it and seemed to run pretty good. Very stiff brakes though. But the cosmetics have other words to describe them. Come to find out he is about to get his place ready (2 houses and 6 acres) to sale. Plus a flip house he is about finished with. I happen to be a real estate agent, so we talked for a while and we may have worked out a deal to do some real estate business with the jeep thrown into the mix. So when all is said and done I'll have made money on the whole thing. And got a free jeep. Sort of . Anyways we will decide tomorrow what happens but figured I would go ahead and give a preview of this thing. So here she is. IMG_1038.jpg

When I got there I was a bit surprised because that was about the only pic listed, there were Two others but they didn't show much more than that one. This is what I found. IMG_1062.jpg recent accident with the zero turn mower and a rock. I didn't get many pics I should have gotten some of the inside. But I didn't. The inside has some rust. There are holes in the floor pans. Seats are in ok condition, rat droppings inside on the floors.

So he said it ran, he charged the battery today because it was sitting for a while maybe 4-6 months. So I was eager to at least test drive it. I asked him if I could and he just stood there and said sure! Yea go ahead. I stared back waiting for the keys, I had previously checked inside for them. So I asked him if he had a key. He said oh yea well I do over there(pointing to the house) but you don't need one.

I thought great! The dangling wires need to be touched together or something, he goes "oh no, just turn the ignition. Doesn't need a key"

What the heck? Lol so I got in and pushed in the clutch and sure enough, it started right up like a champ without a key. Can anyone explain that one? He just said "idk it's old, old things do weird things" kind of shrugging.

Anyways, it drove pretty good, it's a 4 cyl, 4 speed. He said the 4wd all works. I didn't test it. Like I said the body needs some help, and it needs some TLC, but for the deal we are making I think it will work just fine. Thoughts? Here's a few more pics. IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1039.jpg IMG_1061.jpg

The front axle looks like it has locking hubs? I probably plan on just removing the hard top and get a bikini top on it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Personally, unless you are working the real-estate deal so you're getting the Jeep for free, I I'd spend my money elsewhere. For a few thousand more, you can get a much nicer CJ. This one looks like it's probably not worth putting money into, or you'll need to put a lot into it and do a full restoration.

The hard top is worthless with the whole in the window. Rust peeking up all around. Some kind of electrical issue with the key (I've seen other CJs do that). DIY written on the side so the dude probably Jerry rigs stuff. I'd pass unless you're getting it for free.

Lone Star

Yea, it's a pretty good deal on my side. I agree though, it would need a lot for full restore. I'm thinking maybe will be a fun weekend toy. My sister has 50 acres out in the country and barnwell mtn is 20 miles away. And Actually my sisters place is probably only 7-10 min from barnwell on the back roads. So her terrain is somewhat similar.

Lone Star

So after some waiting and a ton of searching and taking chances on things. It. Is looking like I might actually have found my first jeep. If all goes well will have it this weekend. Still to be seen. IMG_2041.JPG it is a 1950 CJ-3a! Comes with a hard top, doors and maybe even a soft top. Runs and drives. Just missing the windshield glass and a tailgate.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So after some waiting and a ton of searching and taking chances on things. It. Is looking like I might actually have found my first jeep. If all goes well will have it this weekend. Still to be seen. View attachment 273912 it is a 1950 CJ-3a! Comes with a hard top, doors and maybe even a soft top. Runs and drives. Just missing the windshield glass and a tailgate.

Ok this is much better than the CJ-7!!

Top Bottom