Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EVO Tire Carrier Squeaks

EVO Tire Carrier Squeaks

Eddie, I saw what looked to be rubber boots on the pins of the tire carrier on Moby at the New Year Kick Off but unfortunately at the time didn't take a closer look or ask you about them. Are they to prevent squeak? If so, where did you get them?
    My carrier is pretty tight, no rattle, but I do have a squeak.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Eddie, I saw what looked to be rubber boots on the pins of the tire carrier on Moby at the New Year Kick Off but unfortunately at the time didn't take a closer look or ask you about them. Are they to prevent squeak? If so, where did you get them?
    My carrier is pretty tight, no rattle, but I do have a squeak.
    ^^^ same here, pretty much tightened all the bolts and even the bolts on the nutserts on the corner armor and still have the occational squeak

I had/have this off and on. You need to adjust the Currie end joints (on the pin side) so they are offset from each other a bit. This will add tension to the joint locations and help reduce squeaks.

Couple other tricks. I went and got grade 8 bolts that were slightly larger than the pins provided and offered less gap in the joints.

Not my trick, but another person I know put a plastic water bottle cap on the Currie joint to prevent the metal on metal.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

I'll see if I can get a half turn in opposite directions out of each of them in the morning. Thanks JAGS.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGS View Post
    I had/have this off and on. You need to adjust the Currie end joints (on the pin side) so they are offset from each other a bit. This will add tension to the joint locations and help reduce squeaks.

Couple other tricks. I went and got grade 8 bolts that were slightly larger than the pins provided and offered less gap in the joints.

Not my trick, but another person I know put a plastic water bottle cap on the Currie joint to prevent the metal on metal.

To add on to what Jags said... I personally would buy a stack of delrin washers. Delrin or Acetal is a 'lubricious' plastic that can take quite a bit of force and shouldn't squeek. Not sure what the prices are, but we use it at work all the time. Quick search brought up these guys.

http://www.superiorwasher.com/washers/75/Delrin.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    '14 JKUR

Simple. Spray some silicon lubricant on the brackets where the carrier joints contacts them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nice, I couldn't get a bottle cap to fit. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SDG View Post
    To add on to what Jags said... I personally would buy a stack of delrin washers. Delrin or Acetal is a 'lubricious' plastic that can take quite a bit of force and shouldn't squeek. Not sure what the prices are, but we use it at work all the time. Quick search brought up these guys.

http://www.superiorwasher.com/washers/75/Delrin.html

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post
    Simple. Spray some silicon lubricant on the brackets where the carrier joints contacts them.

But then you would need to get into your overnight bag
    '14 JKUR

This I will also do in the morning and will probably solve it.
    Thanks MTG.

Quote Originally Posted by MTG View Post

Two uses in one

Quote Originally Posted by SDG View Post
    But then you would need to get into your overnight bag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast