off road shop in MT

desertrunner

does anyone know of a reputable off road shop in Montana? preferably close ish to great falls but im willing to drive a little ways if need be.

looking for a shop to do gears and locker set up in my rear axle and all the shops i called in great falls didnt have a clue what i was talking about which makes me quite nervous to let them touch my jeep. The only guy that even knew why i would need new gears and a locker was confused on why i would want to provide my own gears and master install kit which was a red flag to me. :doh:

TFD

Wes Nelson at Profab motor sports in Shepherd did my gears 2 yrs ago. He has 30 plus yrs experience with gears. It took me forever to find someone in Montana that knew what they were talking about.
He did a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Wes Nelson at Profab motor sports in Shepherd did my gears 2 yrs ago. He has 30 plus yrs experience with gears. It took me forever to find someone in Montana that knew what they were talking about.
He did a great job.

good to know thanks! Billings wouldnt be that bad of a drive if i cant find anyone closer.

I cant believe there arent any good shops in great falls, i was baffled when one of the guys asked why i needed new gears and if i just wanted a new set of the same gears :doh:

TFD

Yeah I couldn't believe what some of the shops were telling me when looking to regear and the outrageous quotes they gave me.

toyotire

does anyone know of a reputable off road shop in Montana? preferably close ish to great falls but im willing to drive a little ways if need be.

looking for a shop to do gears and locker set up in my rear axle and all the shops i called in great falls didnt have a clue what i was talking about which makes me quite nervous to let them touch my jeep. The only guy that even knew why i would need new gears and a locker was confused on why i would want to provide my own gears and master install kit which was a red flag to me. :doh:

darkhorse customs in Bozeman does good work. The best gear work is Inland truck in Missoula.

desertrunner

Doing some more research looks like Dark horse would be a place I would trust to do a set of gears and locker,

Also found a place called j&k customs in Missoula, anyone heard of them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffd

Doing some more research looks like Dark horse would be a place I would trust to do a set of gears and locker,

Yes jeremy is very capable but as above poster said inland truck does lots of gear jobs. The used to handle all of AEVs gear work. US diesel also send their gear work to inland as does most other performance shops. If it were me I would us inland truck or go to Spokane there is two quality shops there.

jeffd

Off-road power products and hazard fab worx both exceptional quality.

Last edited:

desertrunner

Yes jeremy is very capable but as above poster said inland truck does lots of gear jobs. The used to handle all of AEVs gear work. US diesel also send their gear work to inland as does most other performance shops. If it were me I would us inland truck or go to Spokane there is two quality shops there.
I'm assuming if they do the best gear work they can also handle installing an ARB locker as well? My fear is a shop is gonna dick up the locker instal or the hole drilling in the housing and I end up with an air leak at the diff.

Trying to look them up and I finally found their actual website so maybe I'll shoot them a call since they are closer than the other options.

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
I had Dark Horse do my gears and pr44 with no issues. They've always been good and honest with me. I also haven't heard any complaints from Mikes Offrad either but no experience. That's the two big ones here in Bozeman.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffd

I'm assuming if they do the best gear work they can also handle installing an ARB locker as well? My fear is a shop is gonna dick up the locker instal or the hole drilling in the housing and I end up with an air leak at the diff.

Trying to look them up and I finally found their actual website so maybe I'll shoot them a call since they are closer than the other options.

They do plenty of lockers. They might be an ARB dealer. They will also install parts you carry in my buddy just had them install gears and an Eaton locker second time he has used them in the last year or so once on tj and now on a jk. They had to drill his housing for the wires and he said he was happy.

Last edited:

desertrunner

They do plenty of lockers. They might be an ARB dealer. They will also install parts you carry in my buddy just had them install gears and an Eaton locker second time he has used them in the last year or so once on tj and now on a jk.
Awesome good to know thanks!

I am super close to just pulling the trigger on dynatrac trail leader package so I will already have the gears locker shafts and instal kit I just need a shop to set it up in the rear.

desertrunner

They are both about the same drive away from me, sounds like I can go wrong with either, might just come down to price and availability once I order parts. Thanks guys appreciate the help

jasont0311

Caught the Bug
They are both about the same drive away from me, sounds like I can go wrong with either, might just come down to price and availability once I order parts. Thanks guys appreciate the help

I know Dark Horse is pretty booked so I would call and lock in a date ASAP if you choose them. I'm having to wait 2 weeks to get my rear axle done.

desertrunner

I know Dark Horse is pretty booked so I would call and lock in a date ASAP if you choose them. I'm having to wait 2 weeks to get my rear axle done.

Yeah I called them today and got a quote he said give them about 2 weeks notice to get it in, my jeep isn't my DD and I haven't even ordered parts from dynatrac yet so I'm not too worried on time line right now

Top Bottom