General Grabber AT-2 vs. Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

sm31

I'm looking for a set of "studdable" tires in 33 x 12.50 x 15 for my 2001 TJ here in AK. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of great winter tire options in that size range. These tires will have studs installed, and will be my dedicated winter tires for use between November and April. I was originally set on the Cooper S/T Maxx but I can't find them for a reasonable price anywhere around here. I even tried Amazon Prime but they simply won't ship tires (or any other large items) to Alaska at all.

So that leaves the AT-2 and the Duratrac because they are available at Walmart for halfway decent prices. the Duratrac is about $230 more for a set of 4 than the Grabber AT-2. That's enough to matter a little bit... if it's worth it either way.

These tires will see a great deal of commuting on icy roads, etc. but also some rather muddy/slushy off road use when the opportunity presents.

Any opinions on these tires in comparison to each other? Is there another tire I may have overlooked? Thanks!!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The duratracs hands down are the best snow tire in my opinion. They also work extremely well in all other conditions I have put them thru when they were on my dads old truck.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I think the consensus, here, will be Duratracs. I can't speak for snow, as I've only been in it once, with mine, but they are excellent on wet pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Labricon

Caught the Bug
I don't pretend to know what an Alaskan winter is like but I have had Duratracs on for two winters here in snow, slush, ice, rain and some sand and mud and have not been disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

Well Canada can't be far off! :cool:

Sounds like the Duratracs are the way to go then. I have read a lot of great reviews for both tires but i was surprised to find the Duratracs so close in price to the AT-2.

Thanks for the advice!

Kalums

I've had both, even though I'm here in AZ, Duratracs definitely preformed better in the ice and snow but the AT2s were nothing to laugh at.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom