Supertop NX

oldroadie

Since I just adore one man rodeo I just spent the better part of my day assembling and installing Bestop's product and I can't get the header that 1/16" far enough forward to make the latches catch. Anyone have a neat trick they'll share?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

Check your sunrider brackets, and make sure they are pushed all the way forwards toward the front of the Jeep before tightening the knobs on them down.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Journeyman

Since I just adore one man rodeo I just spent the better part of my day assembling and installing Bestop's product and I can't get the header that 1/16" far enough forward to make the latches catch. Anyone have a neat trick they'll share?

Heat! It must be a hot day! When I initially installed mine the day day started to cool off and I had the same issues as you. I ended up loosening up the torxs bolts that hold the footmans loops about half out. This allowed me to just catch the latch. The next day after sitting in the sun I was able to tighten the bolts and the latch the top down completely.

oldroadie

Thanks folks, I have it positioned to catch the first sun tomorrow and I'll do another check on the door surrounds, maybe I need to compress that forward gasket a bit more...I do hate smashing gaskets right off the bat.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Check your sunrider brackets, and make sure they are pushed all the way forwards toward the front of the Jeep before tightening the knobs on them down.

^^^this...

And check that the springs are attached as close as possible to the front of the vehicle... making it easier for top to close. You could also undo these for a half day or so while the top is closed and latched to stretch the whole thing, then open the top and reattach them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

oldroadie

All great points, thank you. We have a sunny 90° day tomorrow and I'll give the door surrounds a close look. Now, what do I do with the 8 unused pan heads? They're in the instructions in the piece count sidebar but there's no instruction to use them.

Medic8

The only panhead screws I had on mine, installed about a month ago, were to connect the sunrider bars to the header. There are 2 per side, per bar, totalling 8. But... If those weren't attached, you'd know it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

oldroadie

Update: those pan heads are for a different top, the factory uses a composite hardware bag shared among similar products.

Now for a total newbie question: does the fabric really beat frantically against the top bars with a factory top? This one does.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I don't know if you got your latches fixed but I had the same problem with my trektop header. You have to pull the latch all the way to the back and push the smaller latch to the front to make it catch. I would assume it's the same for your top.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

oldroadie

I didn't really "fix" the latches, I let two really hot sunny days roast the top and then used a rubber faced body hammer to tap the forward edge of the header over the windshield gasket. At least I have a plan (and a hammer) for when I put the top down and attempt to put it back up. I really think I'd have preferred not to have the sunrider option, it really seems useless with that untethered fabric billowing about.

Top Bottom