Cranking battery not able to start jeep at 12.2V

jorgelrod

Hooked
I'm running the Genesis Off road dual battery system with two X2 batteries I put in around mid February. For the last couple of days, my main battery has been at the 12.2V mark when I go to turn on the jeep in the morning while my auxiliary is at 12.4-12.5V. The smart isolator disconnects both batteries at 12.6V. I would think 12.2V would suffice to start the engine but as soon as I crank it, voltage goes to 11.5 and it won't start, I then have to hit the boost button to link both batteries and the I'll be able to start the jeep. During the rest of the day the car will start fine, but I figure that is mostly because both batteries are connected. In the last two months I've had two wheeling trips where I've had to make maybe 6-8 pulls total with the winch and all of them with the engine running. The winch and all of my other accessories are connected to the bus bar on the dual battery system, not any specific battery. The only things that pull power of the cranking battery while the isolator has the batteries disconnected are the internal Jeep things, like the radio, inside lights, etc...

Could the winch pulls have killed the batteries capacity to crank the rated CCA?

Any pointers, ideas, advice is greatly appreciated...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
No, under normal circumstances 95% of the time during the night the usage from the fridge would drain them to about 12.5 where they would disconnect, this has been the way it has operated both with these X2 or Yellow Tops I had before

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
No, under normal circumstances 95% of the time during the night the usage from the fridge would drain them to about 12.5 where they would disconnect, this has been the way it has operated both with these X2 or Yellow Tops I had before

Ok. From what it sounds like it's almost a wiring issue if the Jeep isn't starting. I would move the main Jeep components to one battery and get them off the bus bar. I think that bar might be screwing you over but I'm not sure due to not being able to really look at it and going off what your saying

jorgelrod

Hooked
Ok. From what it sounds like it's almost a wiring issue if the Jeep isn't starting. I would move the main Jeep components to one battery and get them off the bus bar. I think that bar might be screwing you over but I'm not sure due to not being able to really look at it and going off what your saying

The main jeep components will always feed of the cranking battery, only accessories like the winch and compressor are on the bus bar. While above 12.6 the system behaves like a big battery with both batteries linked, once the isolator separates then, main jeep components are the only thing draining the cranking battery, everything else in the bus bar will drain the aux battery

IMG_5480.jpg
IMG_5481.jpg

Here are some pics from the system

FallonJeeper

Check the obvious, clean terminals, both positive and ground. Check your starting battery for amperage and voltage under load. If you're lucky a local AutoZone will have the test equipment and somebody that knows how to use it. It may be as simple as a battery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
It may just be a bad battery. I've had one go bad on the cranking amps had to replace it.
Get it tested hopefully someone will know how to properly use the equipment. I had mine tested twice, first guy told me the battery was fine it must be alternator starter or something else, glad I didn't completely believe him. the guy at O'Reilly knew how to use the test equipment and tested the starting cca issue was the starting cranks.
Been running Odyssey batteries since then zero issues.
I only have the single battery and I do run my ARB fridge, winch, lights... all that fun stuff

SDG

Caught the Bug
Since you get a voltage drop on startup sounds like the cranking battery is toast. A battery that has no juice left can still be at iver 12 v but as soon as load is applied it drops like a rock.

A problem I have heard with the genesis setup is the smart isolater it's self consumes juice, when it's left for long periods it can actually kill the battery. A friend has this setup and rarely drives the jeep except to wheel, he has killed 2 sets of batteries. The last time it was even hooked to a trickle charger. May not be your case but something to ponder.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
Since you get a voltage drop on startup sounds like the cranking battery is toast. A battery that has no juice left can still be at iver 12 v but as soon as load is applied it drops like a rock.

A problem I have heard with the genesis setup is the smart isolater it's self consumes juice, when it's left for long periods it can actually kill the battery. A friend has this setup and rarely drives the jeep except to wheel, he has killed 2 sets of batteries. The last time it was even hooked to a trickle charger. May not be your case but something to ponder.

I have to agree with this...I believe the isolator is drawing some power from the starting battery. I have two Genesis systems, and one of them was killing the starting battery; I removed the isolator and replaced it with a battery switch...if I'm not driving it for some time, I turn off both batteries...if I have a lot of electrical draw (like running a fridge and aux lights), I can switch both batteries on to start the engine if needed...I've had no problems since

PT1400

Swap the batteries. Move the Auxiliary battery (lets call it number 2) in to the cranking position and your cranking battery (let's call it number 1) to the auxiliary position.

If the problem moves and you can crank the engine fine but you auxiliary battery dies after a couple days then it is the number 1 battery that needs to be replaced.

If the problem doesn't move then there is an issue with either the alternator or the dual battery setup.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I do too have the Genesis setup for about 4 months now with the X2 batteries. No problems so far, I do start the jeep almost everyday, well my wife does when she drives to school, less than 10 miles per day. The longest I had the jeep sitting without starting was about 5 days, it fired right up without a problem.
Form your pictures it looks like you might want to clean your connections a little bit. Also I am seeing that your factory clamps are all the way up on the battery posts. When I first installed mine I had a problem with the terminals slipping of those battery posts. Shane with Genesis off-road gave me a good idea of how to make the clamps stay on there tight and not slip off, it did work like a charm by the way.
Loosen the factory terminal clamps all the way and place over the battery post. Grab a socket that is bigger in diameter than the battery post and place over the terminal, grab a hammer and gently beat those bitches all the way down the battery post and tighten them up. If you do that, they should stay nice and tight [emoji108]. You might just have a loose connection, I hope that works for you, good luck.

Here's a shot of mine. There is zero movement on that connection
IMG_5136.jpg

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked
Since you get a voltage drop on startup sounds like the cranking battery is toast. A battery that has no juice left can still be at over 12 v but as soon as load is applied it drops like a rock.

I think this might be the issue a well, Looks like I will get it replaced on Saturday...

Loosen the factory terminal clamps all the way and place over the battery post. Grab a socket that is bigger in diameter than the battery post and place over the terminal, grab a hammer and gently beat those bitches all the way down the battery post and tighten them up. If you do that, they should stay nice and tight [emoji108]. You might just have a loose connection, I hope that works for you, good luck.

Here's a shot of mine. There is zero movement on that connection
View attachment 267666

I will definitely try this...

Andy5160

Hooked
Swap the batteries. Move the Auxiliary battery (lets call it number 2) in to the cranking position and your cranking battery (let's call it number 1) to the auxiliary position.

If the problem moves and you can crank the engine fine but you auxiliary battery dies after a couple days then it is the number 1 battery that needs to be replaced.

If the problem doesn't move then there is an issue with either the alternator or the dual battery setup.

It makes sense to me ^^^^^^
See what you come up with and let us know.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom