Rotational Clicking noise in 4wd

JKUx

So I decided to place the Jeep in 4hi because I really want to be ready to wheel soon and why is it that I'm getting a rotational sound once I start moving under acceleration I put it back into 2wd and the noise is gone, honestly sounds like a worn cv joint...being that you guys been on the trails often, "driveshaft" cv side shot? does it sound familiar from a Jeep standpoint as this is my first one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
What size lift and do you still have factory front driveshaft? Mine failed at the ujoint and was making that noise and I had vibration at highway speeds. I put my front on jack stands started rotating my driveline and quickly found the problem.
IMG_3502.jpg

JKUx

What size lift and do you still have factory front driveshaft? Mine failed at the ujoint and was making that noise and I had vibration at highway speeds. I put my front on jack stands started rotating my driveline and quickly found the problem.
View attachment 267683

I'm running a 4 inch lift and I still have the factory front driveshaft, just finished a bunch of upgrades and the front driveshaft is the next thing on my list. I plan on going with Adams Driveshaft as I've heard great things about it.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I'm running a 4 inch lift and I still have the factory front driveshaft, just finished a bunch of upgrades and the front driveshaft is the next thing on my list. I plan on going with Adams Driveshaft as I've heard great things about it.

That's what I have. I upgraded to Adams front and rear once my front failed.
Get your jeep on jack stands, get underneath and start spinning your driveline. You should fell the skipping feeling while you rotating, it shouldn't be hard to feel where it's coming form, at least you will know what's causing your clicking noise.
Btw you can remove your front driveshaft completely and run without it until you get a new one, it's perfectly fine to do so. Just the shaft though, don't touch the yokes until you replace the entire thing.
If the skipping stops you'll know it's the driveshaft.
Get the 1350.

Last edited:

JKUx

That's what I have. I upgraded to Adams front and rear once my front failed.
Get your jeep on jack stands, get underneath and start spinning your driveline. You should fell the skipping feeling while you rotating, it shouldn't be hard to feel where it's coming form, at least you will know what's causing your clicking noise.
Btw you can remove your front driveshaft completely and run without it until you get a new one, it's perfectly fine to do so. Just the shaft though, don't touch the yokes until you replace the entire thing.
If the skipping stops you'll know it's the driveshaft.
Get the 1350.

Thank You that's exactly what I plan on doing , removing the driveshaft to see if noise goes away. Yeah I also plan on the 1350 as well!

Should I replace the upper control arms too when installing the front driveshaft?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Thank You that's exactly what I plan on doing , removing the driveshaft to see if noise goes away. Yeah I also plan on the 1350 as well!

Should I replace the upper control arms too when installing the front driveshaft?

Well, you should have your pinion inline with a shaft on a double cardan setup. Mine is slightly of but it doesn't cause any problems or vibrations. I have the driveshafts in for almost a year now. I have AEV drop brackets and stock control arms but will be upgrading to EVO long arms in the future.
On the other hand too little or too much caster will make your steering feel weird for daily driving on pavement.
Go through this thread to give an idea
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Top Bottom