Building the Grendel

TheGrendel

Well, I've been away for awhile. Lots and lots going on. Time to start this thing.

Base - JKUR Recon edition 6MT Firecracker Red

I bought it through Koons Tysons Jeep near Washingtion DC. Awesome process. I highly recommend it. We flew into Dulles and the salesmen picked us up.

IMG_0479.jpg

My wife had never been to DC. So, we did some touristy stuff.

IMG_0501.jpg

Much more to come.

TheGrendel

After doing tourist stuff in DC for a day and a half, it was time to start our journey back to Texas.

We spent the night in this cozy little cottage in Warm Springs, VA called the Inn at the Gristmill. They have a restaurant called the Waterwheel, and it is fantastic.
IMG_20170419_190604.jpg

From there we traveled down to Tennessee to see the Smokies.

IMG_20170420_162951.jpg
00001IMG_00001_BURST20170420164751_COVER.jpg

Stopped in Chattanooga for the night and then drove towards Lynchburg to do the tour of Jack Daniels Distillery. I went on a trip when I was 5/6 years old up through Tennessee. We stopped at the JD Distillery. 27 years later I did it over again. Some things have changed, but it was still like I remember.
IMG_20170421_091805.jpg

Last edited:

TheGrendel

Left Lynchburg and stopped at Shiloh National Military Park. Unfortunately, it was raining off and on so we spent most of the time just cruising around.

IMG_20170421_162904.jpg

We spent that night in Memphis. Ate ribs and listened to some live bands.

Next day we made it home to Texas.

image-0-02-01-ebf4a5f9c733aaf45e2bc8d31183426845b6e61cc2e239b5bc73048e5a5da522-V.jpg

TheGrendel

Yesterday, I started on my first mods. The Grendel will be getting built up a little more slowly than my old Gecko JKR.

First some Daystar hood latches to stop hood flutter. I'm too OCD and cannot stand the hood flutter. Amazed that FCA never fixed this.
IMG_0618.jpg

Second, Grabars. These are nice and sturdy now that they are on. But, holy crap, I have never been so pissed at 4 freaking bolts in my life. Took me way, way longer than it should have to get the drivers side put in. Also, dropped a bolt behind the pillar. Just going to leave it unless it starts rattling. :banghead:
IMG_0617_01.jpg

Waiting to be put on. Evo tire carrier and Evo corner skids.

BlackJKU08

Second, Grabars. These are nice and sturdy now that they are on. But, holy crap, I have never been so pissed at 4 freaking bolts in my life. Took me way, way longer than it should have to get the drivers side put in. Also, dropped a bolt behind the pillar. Just going to leave it unless it starts rattling. :banghead:
View attachment 267782

Waiting to be put on. Evo tire carrier and Evo corner skids.

I had the same issue with grabars install, that drivers side was a PITA, but I love them now...congrats on a beautiful rig. Look forward to watching the transformation.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

Took the end caps off the front bumper. Trying to decide if I am going to keep the stock front bumper. Already know I'm going bumperless in the rear when I mount the Evo carrier.

I don't think this is going to cut it.

FullSizeRender.jpg

TheGrendel

As I mentioned, this will be a slow build as I pick up parts when I can find deals.

Had picked up some Currie Lower Front CAs for my old JKR during cyber Monday. Well, I decided to get The Grendel before I ever installed them. Picked up Currie Upper Rear CA's during a Prime day.

Went to see my buddy from college who is a big auto guy. He loves doing this stuff. Since I am in an apt while my new house gets built, it seemed like a good time to see him and get some work down.

LFCA Installed.jpg

The only thing I don't like about the Currie's is the zerk fitting seems extremely vulnerable.

I also picked up some Currie Rear brake lines again for my old JKR. Got some Evo front brake lines the other day.

Stainless brake lines installed.jpg

And last and most unfortunately, I finally put on my license plate after getting pulled over for the second time in 1 month. Warnings both times. But, I am amazed. I drove without on my other Jeep for nearly 4 years and never got pulled over once.

License Plate install.jpg

While doing all of this, I went ahead and rotated the tires and did the first oil change.

Attachments

• License Plate install (1).jpg
    License Plate install (1).jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 422

TheGrendel

Not an addition to the build. but i did get a chance to mess around on an old caliche pit. the Recon factory springs seem to bit a touch taller than normal Rubicon springs. i'm betting if i add some wheel spacers i can stuff some large tires with very, very minimal fender rub without cutting.

now, i'm impatiently waiting on the Labor Day sales.

Flex Friday.jpg

TheGrendel

Originally, I bought some Synergy skids. But, when I got them in, I realized I wasn't a fan of the way the oil pan skid used brackets off the engine mount. Not only have a few people had issues with bolts loosening up, I am currently in an apartment while my new house is being built.

That will be a few months before I have my own garage again. So, I picked up the Evo Protek skid system plus I snagged the Evo Crossmember. The crossmember and exhaust skid came in today. I'm headed out to Hidden Falls this weekend and wanted to at least get the exhaust skid on.

Since I just changed my oil, I figured I'll wait to install the oil pan and transmission skid then.

:thumb:

Skids and crossmember.jpg

crossmember.jpg

crossmember skid.jpg

BaddestCross

Originally, I bought some Synergy skids. But, when I got them in, I realized I wasn't a fan of the way the oil pan skid used brackets off the engine mount. Not only have a few people had issues with bolts loosening up, I am currently in an apartment while my new house is being built.

That will be a few months before I have my own garage again. So, I picked up the Evo Protek skid system plus I snagged the Evo Crossmember. The crossmember and exhaust skid came in today. I'm headed out to Hidden Falls this weekend and wanted to at least get the exhaust skid on.

Since I just changed my oil, I figured I'll wait to install the oil pan and transmission skid then.

:thumb:

View attachment 272917

View attachment 272918

View attachment 272920
The oil pan doesn't drop when you take out the bolts. No need to wait for an oil change to install the skid.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

More goodies

I bought a Motobilt bumper and skid. It's called The Hammer. Had the hoop customized to be slightly taller and added some light tabs to it. Going to get it powder coated in a black that is easy to rattle can. Will post pics when it's mounted.

IMG_20170906_200559.jpg

TheGrendel

Test fitting the motobilt bumper before I take it to the powder coater. Wrenching in the condo garage is getting old. Can't wait for the new casa to finish. Full 3 car garage here I come.
:rock:
test fit.jpg

Top Bottom