Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the Grendel

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar

Building the Grendel

Well, I've been away for awhile. Lots and lots going on. Time to start this thing.

Base - JKUR Recon edition 6MT Firecracker Red

I bought it through Koons Tysons Jeep near Washingtion DC. Awesome process. I highly recommend it. We flew into Dulles and the salesmen picked us up.

IMG_0479.jpg

My wife had never been to DC. So, we did some touristy stuff.

IMG_0501.jpg

Much more to come.

After doing tourist stuff in DC for a day and a half, it was time to start our journey back to Texas.

We spent the night in this cozy little cottage in Warm Springs, VA called the Inn at the Gristmill. They have a restaurant called the Waterwheel, and it is fantastic.
    IMG_20170419_190604.jpg

From there we traveled down to Tennessee to see the Smokies.

IMG_20170420_162951.jpg
    00001IMG_00001_BURST20170420164751_COVER.jpg

Stopped in Chattanooga for the night and then drove towards Lynchburg to do the tour of Jack Daniels Distillery. I went on a trip when I was 5/6 years old up through Tennessee. We stopped at the JD Distillery. 27 years later I did it over again. Some things have changed, but it was still like I remember.
    IMG_20170421_091805.jpg
    Last edited by TheGrendel; 07-12-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Left Lynchburg and stopped at Shiloh National Military Park. Unfortunately, it was raining off and on so we spent most of the time just cruising around.

IMG_20170421_162904.jpg

We spent that night in Memphis. Ate ribs and listened to some live bands.

Next day we made it home to Texas.

image-0-02-01-ebf4a5f9c733aaf45e2bc8d31183426845b6e61cc2e239b5bc73048e5a5da522-V.jpg

Yesterday, I started on my first mods. The Grendel will be getting built up a little more slowly than my old Gecko JKR.

First some Daystar hood latches to stop hood flutter. I'm too OCD and cannot stand the hood flutter. Amazed that FCA never fixed this.
    IMG_0618.jpg

Second, Grabars. These are nice and sturdy now that they are on. But, holy crap, I have never been so pissed at 4 freaking bolts in my life. Took me way, way longer than it should have to get the drivers side put in. Also, dropped a bolt behind the pillar. Just going to leave it unless it starts rattling.
    IMG_0617_01.jpg

Waiting to be put on. Evo tire carrier and Evo corner skids.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post

Second, Grabars. These are nice and sturdy now that they are on. But, holy crap, I have never been so pissed at 4 freaking bolts in my life. Took me way, way longer than it should have to get the drivers side put in. Also, dropped a bolt behind the pillar. Just going to leave it unless it starts rattling.
    IMG_0617_01.jpg

Waiting to be put on. Evo tire carrier and Evo corner skids.
    I had the same issue with grabars install, that drivers side was a PITA, but I love them now...congrats on a beautiful rig. Look forward to watching the transformation.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing AZ Explorer's Avatar
    Nice shakedown trip for the new ride! No doubt that's where you discovered the dreaded hood flutter.

Nice looking Jeep, can't wait to see how everything turns out.

Sent while I sit on my couch

Nice build so far.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Very cool. The smokies are an awesome mountain range. My wife and I were just there recently. Jeep looks good!

B.O.D. Build - 2014 Granite Crystal JKU - http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4...t-Build-Thread

Took the end caps off the front bumper. Trying to decide if I am going to keep the stock front bumper. Already know I'm going bumperless in the rear when I mount the Evo carrier.

I don't think this is going to cut it.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast