Ultimate Dana 60 Failure

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a bummer. Unfortunately, there's a lot more of this out there and you just can't make this shit up. It always amazes me that people out there still want to buy these axles.

Robertcrav

Just playing devils advocate, in this video it looks like he has a 'suck down' winch with the eye bolt bolted to the axle tube, is it possible he pulled to hard on that cracking the plug welds on the axle tube and then the full break happened later?

Sucks either way.

I admit I was excited when these came out as a lower cost option, but have decided when/if I go 'tons it will be Dynatrac

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just playing devils advocate, in this video it looks like he has a 'suck down' winch with the eye bolt bolted to the axle tube, is it possible he pulled to hard on that cracking the plug welds on the axle tube and then the full break happened later?

Sucks either way.

I admit I was excited when these came out as a lower cost option, but have decided when/if I go 'tons it will be Dynatrac

Can't say for sure what happened to the guy in the video but bracket failures on the UD60 is very common but for arguments sake, let's just say it was the owners fault. The part that should interest you more is the WARN hub failure and gear issues that OP talked about as that's a quality control issue during assembly and right from the factory.

Robertcrav

Can't say for sure what happened to the guy in the video but bracket failures on the UD60 is very common but for arguments sake, let's just say it was the owners fault. The part that should interest you more is the WARN hub failure and gear issues that OP talked about as that's a quality control issue during assembly and right from the factory.
Totally agree, gear set up, and hub installation are quality control issues for sure, bracket breakage im guessing could either be material failure or qc

mastrcruse

These are locals guys and both were running UD60's. One made it out fine and the other broke plug welds in both front and rear and spun both pumpkins (as he described). The guy that spun both killed the rear driveshaft and bent front coilovers. They do wheel the piss on out their Jeep's but I don't know of one local guy that hasn't had an issue with the UD60's which is why I switched to Dynatrac. I believe both (I know at least one) have winches that keep their front ends down.

The welds on these things, plugs and brackets, are a QC nightmare and seem to be hit or miss on the quality. All the local guys seem to have issues, another guy snapped the trac bar bracket off but I see others on the forums that haven't had any problems...tickin timebombs is the thought that comes to my mind. Some are now buying them, adding trusses, drilling out plugs and rewelding, gusseting and adding weld to brackets, adding weld to the tube and pumpkin mating surface.

I unfortunately fell for the "it's cheaper" deal and got the UD60 rear. I'll be trussing (had to for the RK 3 link rear anyways), gusseting brackets, and welding the tube/pumpkin at the join. XD60 is on order for the front so made a mistake but corrected my thinking before it was too late.

Benito

Caught the Bug
these last two wheeling trips, there was a guy that had them and they looked really impressive. the tubes are bigger than a PR60, the brackets are 1/4", the knuckles looked massive; looked like pure beef, turns out to be meat filler with a paint job.

Benito

Caught the Bug
These are locals guys and both were running UD60's. One made it out fine and the other broke plug welds in both front and rear and spun both pumpkins (as he described). The guy that spun both killed the rear driveshaft and bent front coilovers. They do wheel the piss on out their Jeep's but I don't know of one local guy that hasn't had an issue with the UD60's which is why I switched to Dynatrac. I believe both (I know at least one) have winches that keep their front ends down.

The welds on these things, plugs and brackets, are a QC nightmare and seem to be hit or miss on the quality. All the local guys seem to have issues, another guy snapped the trac bar bracket off but I see others on the forums that haven't had any problems...tickin timebombs is the thought that comes to my mind. Some are now buying them, adding trusses, drilling out plugs and rewelding, gusseting and adding weld to brackets, adding weld to the tube and pumpkin mating surface.

I unfortunately fell for the "it's cheaper" deal and got the UD60 rear. I'll be trussing (had to for the RK 3 link rear anyways), gusseting brackets, and welding the tube/pumpkin at the join. XD60 is on order for the front so made a mistake but corrected my thinking before it was too late.

it sucks that after forking over that kind of money people still have to do all that work.

mastrcruse

it sucks that after forking over that kind of money people still have to do all that work.

100% agree which is why i switched to the XD60 for the front. I had the steering components and driveshaft for the front UD60 and sent it back/cancelled my order for the UD60 front after seeing these posts. I'm going to 1-tons so I don't have to worry about anything. I probably have more confidence in my dana 30 than these. Dynatrac is the best and are the 1-ton axles that seem to be the best for hanging my hat on.

13k for these UD60s for being ticking time bombs is outrageous.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
My front axle is a 44, but the following still applies. When I was looking at purchasing my font axle, I looked at the Dana Ultimate 44, the Teraflex... really everything that is available. Eddie's videos, along with a few others showed me real life beating on the Dynatrac products and I was sold regardless of price. It was my highest dollar item and I did not want to do it twice. No other axle has the kind of visual proof Dynatrac has for what it can take. There are some things you can cheap out on but this shouldn't be one of them. Not if you actually go wheeling and need upgraded axles.

mastrcruse

My front axle is a 44, but the following still applies. When I was looking at purchasing my font axle, I looked at the Dana Ultimate 44, the Teraflex... really everything that is available. Eddie's videos, along with a few others showed me real life beating on the Dynatrac products and I was sold regardless of price. It was my highest dollar item and I did not want to do it twice. No other axle has the kind of visual proof Dynatrac has for what it can take. There are some things you can cheap out on but this shouldn't be one of them. Not if you actually go wheeling and need upgraded axles.

A friend of mind got a UD44 when they first came out. I haven't asked if he's had any trouble....hopefully both lines don't have the same issues.

After all the stuff, trussing etc, the UD60s are not less expensive which is why some are going with them... especially with Dynatrac having be new pricing. I'll be 9500 in an XD60 and $4500 in a UD60.

ThatChemicalGuy

Sucks either way.

Ahhh idk if the suck down winch could cause that much damage. I have one on my buggy, but it's a small 3k winch for an atv. And mine is also connected to the truss that's on the axle. But I just don't see the suck down winch being able to do that much damage since it's really only going to "pull" a few thousand pounds in force down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom