Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Dana 60 Failure

Ultimate Dana 60 Failure

Ran across this video showing some UD 60s that failed on my FB feed, thought i would share

UD_Fail01.JPG
    UD_Fail02.JPG

FaceBook Link: https://www.facebook.com/stephen.fea...3245783662713/

Ouch! Have a guy here that literally just put these in his jeeps. Wow hope he has better luck.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    In all things complicated, the simplest answer tends to be the right one.

That's a bummer. Unfortunately, there's a lot more of this out there and you just can't make this shit up. It always amazes me that people out there still want to buy these axles.

That really sucks.. but can't say I'm surprised.

Been Around the Block Robertcrav's Avatar
    Just playing devils advocate, in this video it looks like he has a 'suck down' winch with the eye bolt bolted to the axle tube, is it possible he pulled to hard on that cracking the plug welds on the axle tube and then the full break happened later?

Sucks either way.

I admit I was excited when these came out as a lower cost option, but have decided when/if I go 'tons it will be Dynatrac

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - Currie RJ44's, 37s - Click Here For Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Robertcrav View Post
    Just playing devils advocate, in this video it looks like he has a 'suck down' winch with the eye bolt bolted to the axle tube, is it possible he pulled to hard on that cracking the plug welds on the axle tube and then the full break happened later?

Sucks either way.

I admit I was excited when these came out as a lower cost option, but have decided when/if I go 'tons it will be Dynatrac
    Can't say for sure what happened to the guy in the video but bracket failures on the UD60 is very common but for arguments sake, let's just say it was the owners fault. The part that should interest you more is the WARN hub failure and gear issues that OP talked about as that's a quality control issue during assembly and right from the factory.

Been Around the Block Robertcrav's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Can't say for sure what happened to the guy in the video but bracket failures on the UD60 is very common but for arguments sake, let's just say it was the owners fault. The part that should interest you more is the WARN hub failure and gear issues that OP talked about as that's a quality control issue during assembly and right from the factory.
    Totally agree, gear set up, and hub installation are quality control issues for sure, bracket breakage im guessing could either be material failure or qc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - Currie RJ44's, 37s - Click Here For Build Thread

That really sucks.. but can't say I'm surprised.

Knows a Thing or Two
    These are locals guys and both were running UD60's. One made it out fine and the other broke plug welds in both front and rear and spun both pumpkins (as he described). The guy that spun both killed the rear driveshaft and bent front coilovers. They do wheel the piss on out their Jeep's but I don't know of one local guy that hasn't had an issue with the UD60's which is why I switched to Dynatrac. I believe both (I know at least one) have winches that keep their front ends down.

The welds on these things, plugs and brackets, are a QC nightmare and seem to be hit or miss on the quality. All the local guys seem to have issues, another guy snapped the trac bar bracket off but I see others on the forums that haven't had any problems...tickin timebombs is the thought that comes to my mind. Some are now buying them, adding trusses, drilling out plugs and rewelding, gusseting and adding weld to brackets, adding weld to the tube and pumpkin mating surface.

I unfortunately fell for the "it's cheaper" deal and got the UD60 rear. I'll be trussing (had to for the RK 3 link rear anyways), gusseting brackets, and welding the tube/pumpkin at the join. XD60 is on order for the front so made a mistake but corrected my thinking before it was too late.

these last two wheeling trips, there was a guy that had them and they looked really impressive. the tubes are bigger than a PR60, the brackets are 1/4", the knuckles looked massive; looked like pure beef, turns out to be meat filler with a paint job.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast