Steering gremlin

aTX427

I had an issue with my steering in Colorado, which I thought was my steering box. I was crossed up on a downhill obstacle and could have swore that I felt something twist when I turned the wheel much like over torquing a bolt just before it yields. After I straightened out, my steering wheel was 90* off to the left (driver), but nothing on the axle side looked bent or out of place. After I got home, I installed new ball joints (unrelated), TRE's on the drag link and tie rod (unrelated, but they were worn, and a new steering gearbox. Now I still feel like something is not right. I count 1.5 turns left and 1.5 turns right, but the tires do not seem to turn as far left as they do right. The Jeep was completely stock when I purchased it and has never been modified as far as I can tell until I recently added the Evo bolt on kit. Something else that is odd - I do not hit the steering stops on either side, but am further away on the left. Any ideas on where I should look? :thinking:

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
See if your tie rod or drag link are bent. Also, do check that track bar bracket welds didn't break, I doubt that's it, but wouldn't hurt to check.

And see if your steering stabilizer or PS ram isn't binding on something.

aTX427

The tie rod and drag link are straight. They are solid aluminum, so it's pretty easy to tell. The mounts do not appear deformed and I do not have a stabilizer or ram assist. I did not replace the pitman arm and didn't think they get bent without a major hit. Could something in the steering column get twisted? It could be a figment of my imagination, but a failure at speed could be catastrophic, so I am being overly cautious.

black pearl

Hooked
The tie rod and drag link are straight. They are solid aluminum, so it's pretty easy to tell. The mounts do not appear deformed and I do not have a stabilizer or ram assist. I did not replace the pitman arm and didn't think they get bent without a major hit. Could something in the steering column get twisted? It could be a figment of my imagination, but a failure at speed could be catastrophic, so I am being overly cautious.

Could the pitman arm, be off a tooth or two, on the splines from install?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

I double checked the clocking of the pitman arm and it's in the same general position as a new Jeep at the dealership. It's also worth noting that the pitman arm is timed on 90* increments. Essentially, this happened on the trail, not during the installation. I've been swapping parts trying to track down the problem, but the wheel is still off by 90*. I have the drag link turned I. As far as it will go take up the difference. I can keep it here, but don't want to overlook the real problem.

Last edited:

aTX427

Hey guys, I'm seriously stumped on this steering problem. Here is what I know. Before Colorado, everything worked fine aside from some mild death wobble that I isolated to one bad drag link TRE. In Colorado, something happened on the trail coming off an obstacle and when I went to straighten out my steering wheel was off by 90*. After I came hole, I replaced the tie rod, tie rod TRE's, drag link, drag link TRE's, ball joints and the steering box. Now that everything is replaced, my steering turns further to the right than it does left and I cannot get the wheel to stay in alignment. If I adjust the drag link to straighten the steering wheel it is way off in one direction. If I adjust it back it's way off on the other. It's almost like hydraulic steering where the wheel is never straight. I'm completely stumped and don't even know where to bring it to have someone help fix it.

black pearl

Hooked
Hey guys, I'm seriously stumped on this steering problem. Here is what I know. Before Colorado, everything worked fine aside from some mild death wobble that I isolated to one bad drag link TRE. In Colorado, something happened on the trail coming off an obstacle and when I went to straighten out my steering wheel was off by 90*. After I came hole, I replaced the tie rod, tie rod TRE's, drag link, drag link TRE's, ball joints and the steering box. Now that everything is replaced, my steering turns further to the right than it does left and I cannot get the wheel to stay in alignment. If I adjust the drag link to straighten the steering wheel it is way off in one direction. If I adjust it back it's way off on the other. It's almost like hydraulic steering where the wheel is never straight. I'm completely stumped and don't even know where to bring it to have someone help fix it.

You may have already done it, but I would start checking from , steering box to steering wheel. Make sure none of the components there have started to fail. I think you said, when you came off the obstacle, you felt something give.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Sounds more like gear box or pitman arm. However, check both brackets on the track bar. If those are fucked up, it could cause a similar symptom. Are you running an adjustable track bar?

J

JKDream

I didn't read the entire thread - but have you checked your steering stabilizer?
I had the same symptoms as you when I bent the shaft, it was binding and causing weird steering shit.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

You sure? I watched it flex quite a bit on that rock at Bill Moore lake. You might take a long level and see how straight it is beyond eyeing it.

aTX427

OK, mystery solved. It was the frame mounted track bar mount. It broke on the inside and I didn't see it until now when it almost broke completely off. Now the question is, who makes a good replacement bracket that I can weld in its place?

fiend

Caught the Bug
OK, mystery solved. It was the frame mounted track bar mount. It broke on the inside and I didn't see it until now when it almost broke completely off. Now the question is, who makes a good replacement bracket that I can weld in its place?

I don't know about replacements but synergy makes something you maybe can adapt. IMG_3511.jpg

WJCO

Meme King

Glad you found it. Not the first time I've seen that happen. Hard to see unless you're looking closely. Truthfully, if you're still running an OEM bracket, I would repair it. If you're running an aftermarket drop bracket, that may be the issue. If you wheel hard, the leverage places a ton of stress on that area. If you're running an OEM one, you may be able to weld a gusset on or a thick plate on the outside of the frame to prevent it from happening again. Post some pics if you can.

Top Bottom