TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know the TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier is a hot item right now but before you drop some serious coin for one, I just wanted to make sure you all know that this is something we saw happen to a brand new one last week...

IMG_3631[1].jpg

Please note, this was holding a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler and according to TeraFlex, is within their recommended specifications. After closer examination, it is my opinion that the design of this tire carrier needs some serious improvements and hopefully before someone gets hurt. Please note, I am not trying to "bash" TeraFlex here, I just want to make sure you are aware of the potential problem. If you have one of these carriers installed on your Jeep, please be sure to keep an eye on this area just in case.

If you have or are planning to get this tire carrier, please do everyone a favor on the road and check it for cracks on a regular basis. Here's another thread that was started by a member who's tire carrier broke even though it was installed correctly by TeraFlex's standards:
Old news but in case there are any doubters

UPDATE 10/06/14:Just so that it doesn't get missed, the member FuriousDZ just had his TeraFlex Tire Carrier BREAK yet again! To be clear, this was AFTER he had his original tire carrier break at the mount and had since replaced it with the "new" tire mount. Apparently, all that did was shift the break to the next weakest point. Click on the link below to see photos and read all about it:
Not be beat a dead horse but...NEW Teraflex Tire Carrier BREAK

Serg5000

Looking close at the image. Looks like the steel failed not the weld. Lets hope they get a grip on this soon.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looking close at the image. Looks like the steel failed not the weld. Lets hope they get a grip on this soon.

That's what it looks like to me as well. The question that needs to be asked is what allowed this to happen.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good info Eddie. Just installed mine today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm glad you didn't take this post the wrong way. Hopefully you won't have this problem but at least you'll now know what to keep an eye on just in case.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Thanks for posting this Eddie. Mine is in the box waiting to be installed. 37" Nitto TG's with Huchinson beadlocks, which are heavy...
:(

Serg5000

That's what it looks like to me as well. The question that needs to be asked is what allowed this to happen.

I'm no engineer but maybe a gusset on the inside? Maybe a little more R&D should have been done. I'm guessing Teraflex will get on it. After all, reputation is everything.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm no engineer but maybe a gusset on the inside? Maybe a little more R&D should have been done. I'm guessing Teraflex will get on it. After all, reputation is everything.

A gusset will not prevent jiggling and that appears to be the root cause of the break.

RamP

This is a long shot but are these made in the USA? Just trying to get an idea of quality control.
Is a longer rubber isolator a fix?

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm no engineer either, and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but in my non-professional opinion, this sucks. Hopefully they work out a fix soon. 👍

orngcrushrgrl

Just saw this on Facebook. I hafta say, I'm glad the people here are being way cooler about it than some of the people commenting on the Facebook post I saw.

Yet another reason I'm glad I joined THIS forum instead of that other one.

Y'all are awesome and thanks for posting this info up Eddie

JAGS

Hooked
More and more feedback out there on this carrier. People love the design, but the carrier was always a concern. It's a modified stock carrier...basically. Looks like they used thin steel (metal) tubing and a two-piece unit, rather than one solid piece. As Eddie pointed out, looks good but how do you solve the vibration since there are two pieces?

I've also done a bit more searching over the last couple days since Eddie posted this. People are also having minor issues with the hinge itself. "Catching and Grinding Noise" at the hinge point. Bummed as I was optimistic on this carrier.

I'm still saving pennies and back leaning toward OR-Fab, Genright and EVO. I just wish someone offered a "quality" bumperless option with single tailgate/carrier opening mechanism.

i really dont see the appeal of this thing. its 700 retail. less if you hunt. you can get full bumpers for that. not the best of the best granted but there not breaking. my problem with this design is its still on the tailgate. i guess its the dent in my tailgate from the factory tire and carrier dragging coming off a ledge. :twocents:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Losing a spare tire at freeway speeds could be, well, deadly. I have a feeling TF will jump on this quickly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This is a long shot but are these made in the USA? Just trying to get an idea of quality control.
Is a longer rubber isolator a fix?

It's made in China and in the event that people start to jump all over me for saying that, please note that I'm just stating a fact and not making an indictment here.

Just saw this on Facebook. I hafta say, I'm glad the people here are being way cooler about it than some of the people commenting on the Facebook post I saw.

Yet another reason I'm glad I joined THIS forum instead of that other one.

Y'all are awesome and thanks for posting this info up Eddie

Thank you, I really do appreciate it. The post on FB really did take on a life all it's own. :naw:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
my problem with this design is its still on the tailgate. i guess its the dent in my tailgate from the factory tire and carrier dragging coming off a ledge. :twocents:

It's funny that you mention that cause this is something I have seen happen more than once. Why people would defend this design as much as they do is beyond me.

Losing a spare tire at freeway speeds could be, well, deadly. I have a feeling TF will jump on this quickly.

And really, that's all that I would hope that happens. Apparently, I'm an evil guy for posting this up though :rolleyes2:

Top Bottom