Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Full cages - let's see them

Full cages - let's see them

I must be getting old, because my days of throwing caution to the wind have turned into whispers "of what happens if", especially with passengers. I know there are a couple of good options for bolt in sport cages, but I'm just not crazy about the astetics. Bolts sticking up, big bar clamps, cuts to the fabric, plastic and everything else to make them fit. However, I really like the look of a full cage, half doors and the windshield removed and would appreciate input on full cages if anyone is running them.
    TRU WW Build Thread
    Evo Bolt-on Coilover Suspension
    Elite ProRock XD60/80 Axle-Set
    40” Cooper's on ATX Beadlocks

So in other words, your Jeep isn't much of a daily driver, you trailer it to the trail to the trail and spend most of your time bombing through the desert so things like squeaking and noise caused by a full cage don't bother you.

Full cages - let's see them

Can't help you out with the full cage.. but I could help you out with some silver half doors you mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by Napalm; 07-17-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    So in other words, your Jeep isn't much of a daily driver, you trailer it to the trail to the trail and spend most of your time bombing through the desert so things like squeaking and noise caused by a full cage don't bother you.
    Although I would like to, I don't bomb the desert, but otherwise correct.
    TRU WW Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by aTX427 View Post
    Although I would like to, I don't bomb the desert, but otherwise correct.
    Not sure "what happens if" you're imagining in your head that would require any cage at all but if you have money burning a hole in you pocket and again, you don't mind all the noise and squeaking, EVO and GenRight make nice kits.

I saw an old post about an Evo cage, but wasn't sure if it was a one off or production part. As far as money burning a hole, not quite, but I prefer to do things right the first time if possible. Pay once - cry once. I'm still kicking myself for not doing the DTD out of the gate, but didn't expect my wife to enjoy Colorado as much as she did. The bolt on was an easy way to back out if it didn't go well. I love the sport and the people I meet on the trail tend to become life long friends.
    TRU WW Build Thread

I saw an old post about an Evo cage, but wasn't sure if it was a one off or production part. As far as money burning a hole, not quite, but I prefer to do things right the first time if possible. Pay once - cry once. I'm still kicking myself for not doing the DTD out of the gate, but didn't expect my wife to enjoy Colorado as much as she did. The bolt on was an easy way to back out if it didn't go well. I love the sport and the people I meet on the trail tend to become life long friends.
    As far as I know ORE will install the full cage in house only. It makes things so stiff that if you don't have the double throwdown you don't want it... and it isn't cheap. I think it was 6k or 8k... hence Eddie's comment on money burning a hole in your pocket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    '14 JKUR

I've heard good things about the GenRight cage and in person it looks good. The comment about not wanting a sport cage because it cuts into stuff is interesting to me though. A full cage is a far more drastic measure that really changes the look of the Jeep and involves significant cutting and welding. There's no going back once you do one.

Nothing but a Thing mudmobeeler's Avatar
    cuts to the fabric, plastic and everything else to make them fit.
    Have you even looked at most full cages? Or at least most companies that do full cages? A lot of them cut the dash to go through it. A lot of them also cut up some of the plastics, the sound bar (or even eliminate it) and cut the carpet to go through it if you are wanting to keep the carpet.

Unless it's an all out trail rig that you plan to flip, I would go with just the sport cages you can install yourself. Or if you have money to blow, then heck yeah go all out. They look cool. But to get one in case of an what if, I wouldn't. In all reality, the what if situation would probably be covered by the factory cage. A sport cage is a nice addition though and most seem to stand up well.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2014 JKUR named NORDNDD.

Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ing-of-NoRdNdd

I spent the day looking around and saw a custom cage today. I'll call Evo tomorrow about their '07 sport cage. I would be disappointed with the quality of my welds and do not want to spend $6-7K right now to have someone else weld it up. I need 1 ton axles before Moab more than I need a cage.
    Last edited by aTX427; 07-18-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    TRU WW Build Thread