Rubicon transfer case selection question

Rottenbelly

So I have been searching far and wide for a rubi trans for a manual.
Mopar overstock has some but I am unsure which one to order.
They have different descriptions which confuse me.
One says shift on the fly and one says rock Trac part time 4wd.
They are no help on the phone as they want a vin number to parts match.
I told them mine is a sport and I want to upgrade so that's not gonna help.
Any insight on getting a good part number for which one I need?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170717-084205.jpg
    Screenshot_20170717-084205.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot_20170717-084107.jpg
    Screenshot_20170717-084107.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 168

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unlike on an automatic, the Rubicon Rock Track transfer case is the same on all JK's from 2007-17. You just need to make sure it's for a manual OR a 2007-10 JK.

Rottenbelly

Unlike on an automatic, the Rubicon Rock Track transfer case is the same on all JK's from 2007-17. You just need to make sure it's for a manual OR a 2007-10 JK.

Roger that. These came up under the entry for a manual.
So the main one I was looking at was the rock Trac 4-1.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Roger that. These came up under the entry for a manual.
So the main one I was looking at was the rock Trac 4-1.

Yes, that should be the one you're wanting. 2011-17 automatics use a 4:1 Rock Track specifically made for them and the computer system they run.

Rottenbelly

Thanks everyone for the help and vin #.
I called them back and what it doesn't show on website is the want a 1k core charge.
So mine being a sport case it won't be honored.
So the price only ends up being 500 less than a atlas.
So now I'm back to searching for a used rubi case or just going for a atlas.....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Actually it's the 2012-17 automatics that are different.

Although the 2011 JK still had a 3.8L under the hood, the computer was changed in that year. But, you seem pretty sure of yourself so I'll defer to you as being the one in the know.

BTW, welcome back to WAYALIFE.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Although the 2011 JK still had a 3.8L under the hood, the computer was changed in that year. But, you seem pretty sure of yourself so I'll defer to you as being the one in the know.

Maybe the issue is the AT changed with the engine?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe the issue is the AT changed with the engine?

Yes, the bolt pattern on the new A580 is different but the computer has wiring that needs to be hooked up to the transfer case. I had been driving a manual up until then so I'd be the first to say I could be wrong about the 2011 but I don't think I am. There were a lot of quirks on that year being that it was an in between model. All this is a moot point though being that the OP was looking for a new transfer case and ALL the ones made for a manual would work. If he were getting one from an auto, I would say it'd be best to be safe than sorry and stick with one that came off a 2007-10. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Bierpower

Hooked
Actually it's the 2012-17 automatics that are different.

OP, if you want to look into this, I have a 2011 Rubicon with 70K on it that I'm planning an LS swap for. If it will fit, I'll trade straight up with you.

Rottenbelly

OP, if you want to look into this, I have a 2011 Rubicon with 70K on it that I'm planning an LS swap for. If it will fit, I'll trade straight up with you.

That would be awesome. We could figure something out I'm sure. Mine is a manual that's why it's been hard to find one.

Last edited:

Rottenbelly

I believe the early style and the manual are the same but I'm not for sure. Maybe just all the manuals are the same and the autos changed.

Sent from my XT1565 using WAYALIFE mobile app

From what I have been reading the 11 auto should work with a manual 12+.
It sounds like the autos are the year specific ones.
Gonna call Motech and see if he knows 100% tomorrow.

RVJKU

I like to help provide clarification when I can. I have a 2011. My initial research via internet forums led me to believe the transfer cases were all interchangeable. So I bought a Rock Trac T-fer case from a 2014 that had an auto trans. Fortunetly I had found some more info. that let me know it wouldn't fit before I had my Jeep tore apart with my Transfer case on the floor. The ONLY difference is the spline count on the input shaft. The output shaft on the 12+ autos is different. So if you have a 12+ with an auto trans, you need a t-fer case from a 12+ with an auto trans. No worries though, the 2014 T-fer case was an easy sell and I found the one I needed. Thanks for the welcome back, I pop in occaisionally, but don't generally have much to add.

Top Bottom