TJs on stock axle

Jranso04

Any TJs with 33s on stock axles? I know there are a lot of topics about this but I figured I'd ask if the stock axles held up for some mild off-roading and DD.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the day, I ran my TJ with 35" tires on factory Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear for a long time and without any issues. In fact, before I sold it, I was running 37's on them but with the hopes of upgrading the axles sooner than later.

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I have a 99 TJ I bought new, it's had 33's on it since 2000 and other than breaking the d35c rear axle twice the front d30 has been fine, I replaced the rear with a factory d44 put an ARB in it and been running it with 3.73 gears with no issues since 2003. You should be fine unless you try to keep up with Eddie and Mel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

I ran 33's on my stock axles for a little over a year, no worries. D30/D35. However, I had upgraded to 1540h shafts at that time, and trutracs front and rear.
I ran 31's on the stock setup including 3.07 gears as a dd and weekend warrior for about 8 years, no issues.
Go light on the skinny pedal, and don't play Rat Patrol, and you should be just fine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

naysjp

Had a TJ with D30/D35 w/ a limited slip differential in back and 3.73 gears. Ran it through the Rubicon Trail one year, Big Bear and some trails in San Diego. No breaks.

dunstan74

Back in the day, I ran my TJ with 35" tires on factory Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear for a long time and without any issues. In fact, before I sold it, I was running 37's on them but with the hopes of upgrading the axles sooner than later.
Is this setup something you would recommend for a non daily driver with lockers and moderate wheeling?

Im planning to upgrade axles down the track but if this setup holds up reasonably well i can save up longer and still get out wheeling.

Sent from my SM-G950F using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm running 33-12.50 on stock 30/35 3.07 stock shafts. Say goodbye to 5th gear but it'll do it. Not worth buying lockers and gears if you're hoping to upgrade anyways. The front 30 is decent and I know guys that run 37s but keep an eye out for a 44 to slap in the rear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is this setup something you would recommend for a non daily driver with lockers and moderate wheeling?

Im planning to upgrade axles down the track but if this setup holds up reasonably well i can save up longer and still get out wheeling.

Sent from my SM-G950F using WAYALIFE mobile app

Honestly, I ran that setup as a daily driver with some hard wheeling but I was running chromoly shafts with full circle clips and ARB lockers. You will want to regear with it though.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
33s on stock D30/D35 3.73s

Ideal? No. Will it do it? Yes.

I wheeled it on 31s for 2 years with no major issues. You have to have some throttle control and you have to be able to pick good lines. Know when to back off. I have a super 35 sitting in the garage with 4.88s that I have been planning to swap in for some time now. Just have to find the motivation to work on the Jeep in the heat :yup:

USOWEN

I run 34's on d30 and d35 with no problems so far and no plans to upgrade axles unless I end up with one

IMG_20170711_145715.jpg

sm31

Been running 33x12.50's for a little over 4 years with no issues. But I have mods that help. ARB's eliminate the spider gear problem. And I installed Superior axles in back. They're not bomb proof but they're a good bit tougher than stock. I also think having an automatic smooths out driveline stress but that's just my opinion. At this point I believe I can comfortably run 35's but I am not one to solve driving obstacles with the loud pedal... unless required. I'm sure I could destroy an axle pretty quickly if I set out to do it.

dillard09

Back when I had a YJ I put 35s on my blew my rear D35 first trip out! So if something happens to your rear then you could put an 8.8 in the rear. It's what I did. Its a solid axle swap for a TJ.
Places like East coast gear and supply have 8.8 that you can get with lots of options like shafts and lockers. They are 31 spline, disc brakes, and 5x4.5 lug. They will have TJ brackets and axle tubes already welded. You can get them for under 1k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

97 TJ, D30, D44, 33x12.5s, 3.73, otherwise stock. 184k miles. Moving to 35x12.5s on the next round.

Top Bottom