Rear OEM LSD & a gear swap?

USMC Wrangler

I realize keeping the factory LSD in the rear isn't the most beneficial for the trails, but it hasn't left me stuck yet. With as long as it took me to save for my winch (3+ years) it's not a likely situation that I'll be able to save enough for the ARB setup I want anytime soon.

I've been on 35's, 3.21's, auto transmission for almost a year now. I've gotten used to it and have no desire to ditch the 35's. Thanks to MybadJK, I have a nearly complete D30 with fairly new 4.56 gears. A co-worker of mine worked at a trans/diff shop for a decade and has offered to re-gear my D44.

He's as unsure as my internet searches and results of me calling local shops. I'm trying to find out for a fact if the OEM LSD carrier with 3.21's would properly accept the 4.56 gear set??? If it will, this is a real possibility for me to get done ASAP. So far the answers I've gotten are 50-50 yes or no.

Hopefully my WAL family can answer this! Thanks in advance!

BaddestCross

I would guess that the carrier will be too small, but that's only a guess based on other regears discussed around here. Hopefully someone will be able to tell you for sure.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

jknikos

My rear D44 open diff carrier had 3.21 gears from the factory. I did not need to change carrier to accommodate 4.56 gears. I dont know for the lsd carrier but this is my experience.

Sent from my LG-D855 using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I realize keeping the factory LSD in the rear isn't the most beneficial for the trails, but it hasn't left me stuck yet. With as long as it took me to save for my winch (3+ years) it's not a likely situation that I'll be able to save enough for the ARB setup I want anytime soon.

I've been on 35's, 3.21's, auto transmission for almost a year now. I've gotten used to it and have no desire to ditch the 35's. Thanks to MybadJK, I have a nearly complete D30 with fairly new 4.56 gears. A co-worker of mine worked at a trans/diff shop for a decade and has offered to re-gear my D44.

He's as unsure as my internet searches and results of me calling local shops. I'm trying to find out for a fact if the OEM LSD carrier with 3.21's would properly accept the 4.56 gear set??? If it will, this is a real possibility for me to get done ASAP. So far the answers I've gotten are 50-50 yes or no.

Hopefully my WAL family can answer this! Thanks in advance!

In my experience with the 3.21 gears you will need the 3.73+ carrier to make the 4.56 gears work.

Ddays

Hooked
In my experience with the 3.21 gears you will need the 3.73+ carrier to make the 4.56 gears work.

This is what I was told by the shop that did my re-gear my first go around. I was on 4:88's then and needed that carrier for it to work.

WJCO

Meme King
If your primary reason is re-gearing, buy the larger carrier ahead of time. It's probably about a 100 bucks I'm guessing. Then while you're buddy is in there working, if the OEM one doesn't work out ditch it and run an open diff in the rear with the new gears. That's what I would do.

USMC Wrangler

Thanks for the replies everyone! Yes, my primary reason is to simply regear.

If your primary reason is re-gearing, buy the larger carrier ahead of time. It's probably about a 100 bucks I'm guessing. Then while you're buddy is in there working, if the OEM one doesn't work out ditch it and run an open diff in the rear with the new gears. That's what I would do.

If you guys could clarify for me...the LSD component is the actual carrier, right? That's the direction my searches have pointed me. For example...

IMG_3824.JPG

IMG_3825.JPG

So going with Doug's very good suggestion, would I need to have on hand something like a TruTrac that would accept the 4.56? Also, when a gear set says "3.73 and up" does that mean "up" as in a higher number (4.56) or "up" as in a higher gear (3.21)? Vice versa for the example of "3.73 and down"?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the replies everyone! Yes, my primary reason is to simply regear.

If you guys could clarify for me...the LSD component is the actual carrier, right? That's the direction my searches have pointed me. For example...

So going with Doug's very good suggestion, would I need to have on hand something like a TruTrac that would accept the 4.56? Also, when a gear set says "3.73 and up" does that mean "up" as in a higher number (4.56) or "up" as in a higher gear (3.21)? Vice versa for the example of "3.73 and down"?

Those clutch plates are what make it an LSD differential and you can usually only buy it as a carrier assy. A Trutrac is not the same nor is it an open differential carrier.

The gear numbering 'up' means a larger #. So yes, '3.73 and up' would take care of 4.56 gears.

A Trutrac is more like this:

M65260709.jpg

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked

It's my understanding that JK 44's do not have a carrier break.

From the Yukon Website:

Dana 44 Rear, Non-Rubicon JK
• Ring Gear Diameter: 8.800
• Cover Bolts: 10
• Ring Gear Bolts: 10
• Spline Count: 30
• Dropout: False
• Pinion Support: False
• Carrier Breaks: none
• Rear Suspension: Solid
• Pinion Nut Size: 1-5/16

Update

because JK 44 have no carrier breaks means you have to buy your carriers 3.73 and up to fit on JKs because of the thick gears

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

Those clutch plates are what make it an LSD differential and you can usually only buy it as a carrier assy. A Trutrac is not the same nor is it an open differential carrier.

The gear numbering 'up' means a larger #. So yes, '3.73 and up' would take care of 4.56 gears.

A Trutrac is more like this:

View attachment 268803

Thanks Doug. I always learn something new from everyone here. I've steered away from a lot these items due to fear of messing it up myself.

It's my understanding that JK 44's do not have a carrier break.

From the Yukon Website:

• Ring Gear Diameter: 8.800
• Cover Bolts: 10
• Ring Gear Bolts: 10
• Spline Count: 30
• Dropout: False
• Pinion Support: False
• Carrier Breaks: none
• Rear Suspension: Solid
• Pinion Nut Size: 1-5/16

Update

because JK 44 have no carrier breaks means you have to buy your carriers 3.73 and up to fit on JKs because of the thick gears

Thanks Jorge. Just so my layman brain understands correctly, the factory rear D44 carrier/LSD should accept the 4.56 gears? I know, I know, I'm a slow learner sometimes. [emoji23]

jorgelrod

Hooked

Yes, you can reuse your carrier with 4.56 gears. Also, as a man with 35's and 4.56, I'm happy with how my jeep runs yet I would recommend you get 4.88 if you haven't bought your gears yet...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

USMC Wrangler

Yes, you can reuse your carrier with 4.56 gears. Also, as a man with 35's and 4.56, I'm happy with how my jeep runs yet I would recommend you get 4.88 if you haven't bought your gears yet...

Thanks again!

Good to hear on the 4.56. I do more Highway than trail, plus I have the spare/extra D30 with 4.56 on hand. So, I'm cheaping out, trying to stay within my means to pay cash for this. Again, I know this isn't ideal but I expect the 4.56 to feel way better than my 3.21's.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Yes, I forgot you said you have a new d30 with 4.56 already, yes, you are good to go, also buy a full rebuild kit, it's good insurance to put new bearings and seals

Top Bottom