buying a new jeep need advice.

wanderer

I have been working with 2 jeep dealers both are out of state because the prices here IN California are not discounted. One Guy who has a aggressive sale reputation is knocking 13.6 % off all of his vehicles about 6500 below sticker, but does have what I want in terms of color and a couple of options. The other guy has what I want but the jeep has a few extra options Don't need. He is offering 5050 off. here is the rub the guy offering 5050 off say that customers go the other guy and when they get there he adds 2000 in dealer add ons and then the customers end up coming back to him any ways.

So what do you think? is this just a case of one dealer bad mouthing another or is it a legitimate occurrence?

if you know these guys feel free to PM me but I don't want to mention names on a public forum

and if you know of any dealers who are aggressively and honestly dealing pass the info on please. Thanks in advance

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I bought a new jeep online back in 2008. Pretty easy process. But I made sure I had everything in writing before I stepped out the door. I would push for that before I went any further.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Napalm

The past two Jeeps I've bought have been over text message and both Jeeps have been sight unseen. When I got to the dealership, I basically did a quick inspection and then signed paperwork.

That being said, myself and my family have a personal relationship with the dealer and salesman, so that helps.

I would go with option A and the aggressive sales guy. The Jeep I have now has several more options than I need and missing some options that I wanted. Like Judesign said having things in writing in the best possible way to do things. Since they are out of state you can possibly get them to fax or email things over in writing so you have them when you go to the dealer.

FallonJeeper

And... as mentioned get it in writing, or be willing to back out at any time.

You are in charge. They can't make you pay for something you are unwilling to pay for.

You have all the power. It may mean walking away from the deal. If they want to sell bad enough, they'll meet your terms.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

SSTM714

I had a similar experience with a local Orange County dealer. They Had an online ad with a great price, but it changed once I showed an interest.

Very sneaky.

I then did my own research, found a price / options list I was comfortable with and spammed it to about 15 dealerships. Their response shows you quickly which dealerships are hungry, and how viable your number is.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I would keep searching until you find the perfect or near perfect jeep. You're stuck with the color and options long after you forget about the $3000 you saved. I used the chrylser website that you add a VIN to the address and it pulls up the windows sticker. Then I went on cars.com, sorted by model/color/transmission and started cut and pasting the VIN's until I found one with what I "had" to have. At the time I bought, I didn't want to live without the alpine audio, 4.10 gears, connectivity, and a hard top. I didn't need nav, but I just sold it for a solid chuck of money. I didn't want a bunch of stuff like leather, seat airbags, color matched top or fenders, etc. I bought a soft top on craigslist. But you can't add connectivity or alpine audio down the road.

wanderer

so here is what I am thinking

I want gobi rhino or white, Basic soft top I plan on putting an Ursa Minor on it. 410 gears recon package auto or 6 Spd tow package 430n radio
I do not want or need alpine stereo and weather proof sub woofer, I do not need color matched fenders or top, I do not need or want dual climate controls My dog can't read the numbers.

here is my reasoning
recon beefier axels and lots of other basic extras steel bumpers winch ready, leather seats heated for my 64 year old back ( saves me from adding aftermarket bumpers rear swing gates with tire carrier and rock rails which together cost more than the recon package does.
410 gears probably go a size or 2 up in tires
auto or 6 sp I can drive a stick and it might keep from falling asleep in LA traffic
430 radio I use nav all the time it is nice and convenient If I can't find it on my 10 year old 430n now that I have then I have got an iPhone as a back up. I download all my music to the hard drive,2000 plus songs I play my audio books through the music jack I can add a loc pic later and add additional front cameras
Despite all the criticisms I hear on the 430n There is no aftermarket radio that has a hard drive, the nav is very good even on my old 08 I use it most of the time I am a geologist so I travel a lot for work always to different places from San Francisco area to San Diego to Las Vegas It also has a surprising amount of dirt roads on it.
the fenders color matched and hard top are 1995, the sub woofer is another 1000 dual climate control is another 500 don't need head liners another 400 don't need remote start or cold weather package
Maybe some of you like color matched tops fenders etc. to me it is just another scratch target attracting some sharp bush. You wouldn't think it is that hard to find.

longarmwj

Jeep salesman chiming in!!

One thing to keep in mind is that most dealerships factor ALL possible rebates into that online price, meaning you might not qualify for all those discounts. To get all the rebates you have to be:

-Military
-Credit assistance (for 650 beacons and below)
-Regional discounts (that the ZIP Code you register the vehicle in might void you of)
-Costco discount
-Financing with Chrysler Capital
-Conquest Leas (you have a leas of another non FCA manufacture)
-Returning Lessee Loyalty

For each one you don't qualify for, you don't get that rebate or discount. Online pricing is very very tricky when it comes to things like that. Also a lot of times dealers want you to finance with them and have a trade in to get that price. It can be tricky sometimes.

As far as the dealer badmouthing another, I don't think that seems to be the case, however both seem fishy to me considering the fact that Wranglers are only sold for a little bit over invoice, and selling one for even 4k off would put the dealership in about a -$3,000 deal. Chances are they both have a host of add ons that aren't pictured. It's very common for dealerships to load down vehicles, especially wranglers, with a ton of accessories that aren't pictured or listed on their webpage, which is why they can give the appearance of giving monumental amounts off.

I do know also that Troncalli uses honest and fair pricing, and we do try to offer as many rebates possible to our customers, and we are very transparent with what is, and is not on our vehicles.

Good luck with your Jeep search, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions!!

zimm

Caught the Bug
Don't let the tow package be a deal breaker. You can add a factory hitch and harness for $79 from quadratec. You don't get anything else in the tow package, especially if you get the 4.10 gears.

Remote start is the shit. You can walk away from the jeep, leave your dog in and hit the button. A/C blows cold and doors stay locked. Hell I leave my kids in the jeep with the a/c going when I have to run into a place for under 5 minutes.

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I have been working with 2 jeep dealers both are out of state because the prices here IN California are not discounted. One Guy who has a aggressive sale reputation is knocking 13.6 % off all of his vehicles about 6500 below sticker, but does have what I want in terms of color and a couple of options. The other guy has what I want but the jeep has a few extra options Don't need. He is offering 5050 off. here is the rub the guy offering 5050 off say that customers go the other guy and when they get there he adds 2000 in dealer add ons and then the customers end up coming back to him any ways.

So what do you think? is this just a case of one dealer bad mouthing another or is it a legitimate occurrence?

if you know these guys feel free to PM me but I don't want to mention names on a public forum

and if you know of any dealers who are aggressively and honestly dealing pass the info on please. Thanks in advance

When I couldn't find exactly what I wanted on the lot, and the dealership couldn't find it either, I ordered. It was painless, and the dealership I worked with was awesome. The wait for Jeep to build it was the worst part. To me it's more important to get what I want more than saving a little bit of money. How shitty would it be if I got a Jeep that didn't have all the options I wanted, and maybe a different color than I wanted. I personally would never be happy with that. Just my 2 cents.

Don't be afraid to ask what you want....the dealer isn't when they ask you. Be firm, and professional, and if your gut says no, walk, hang up what ever...,it's your money.

Like others have said don't worry on small things like trscker tow, easy to fix....make sure the bones of the jeep is what you want, model, 4:10 gears, tops ect.....

Also beat them down of finance rates if that's what you need. Last year was the first time in 8 years I saw the wrangler offered at 0% for 72 months....it's never been that sweet since.

Your timing is good, prior to the 2018 JKS.

Good luck, it's stressful but worth it in the end.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom